Caliper Rattle-the Fix

Guest Greg Ross

Guest Greg Ross

I guess it really does pay to do things yourself, and in the same breath stupidity prevails. I've been putting up with a rattling left rear caliper for virtually as long as I've owned my '88.<BR>A shop where I used to get repairs done that I couldn't take on myself had changed hands, The new Owner assured me with new Caliper mounting brackets and slider pins my rattle complaint would be a thing of the past. That lasted about as long as he stayed in business. The rattle returned.<BR>This morning I took the offending caliper off, this one being a GM X remanufactured one installed a year ago. There was what I considered to be a huge amount of play between the Caliper and the bracket. Once I had the caliper out of the way I found there seemed to be way too much difference in size between the slider pin and the bore in the bracket???? Buttoned things back up and went to a local GM Parts dept. I assumed what I was looking for was a different diameter slider pin, what I ended up ordering was "Lord have Mercy" a Bushing Kit.<BR>Anybody care to jump in here, is this something uncommon about GM caliper mounting, Reattas in particular.<BR>While having other major work being done on this car I've had GM Mechanics look at my rattling caliper twice and in both instances the answer was the adjuster just hasn't stepped to the next notch.<BR>Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to being rid of this annoying rattle. Anyone who does their own maintainance knows how long it takes to knock a caliper off-and I'm sure they're wondering, hmmmm, mechanics Stupid! rolleyes.gif" border="0<P>[ 05-18-2002: Message edited by: GM Ross ]<p>[ 05-18-2002: Message edited by: GM Ross ]

Guest EDBS0

<A HREF="http://www.kvrperformance.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.kvrperformance.com/</A> <P>Available locally and prices are negotiable.<P>PS click on contact bar and see map where Max's Red 88 Reatta is usually parked during business hours. Startop at Algoma. It sports 17" rims.<P><BR>SEE JC Whitney for following prices.<BR> <BR>71ZX1750T Disc Brake Rotor, rear, for Buick '86-91 Reatta, Riviera, Cadillac Eldorado Seville, Oldsmobile Toronado Each <B>$18.98</B> <BR>71ZX0215Y Disc Brake Rotor, for Buick '85-90 Electra, LeSabre, Roadmaster, all FWD, '91 LeSabre, '83-90 Century with 10 1/4" rotor, '91-96 Century, '86-91 Reatta, Riviera, front Each <B>$15.98</B><P>Why refinish?<p>[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: Easily Distracted by Shiny Objects ]

Guest EDBS0

I do all my own brake work except turning the rotors and given the cost to turn versus new I just replace. Prefer cross drilled rotors.<P>Have done rear Reattas a few years ago and I remember bothing difficult out outstanding.<P>You should be able to do the job yourself in 10 to 15 minutes with common tools.<P>Good luck.

Guest Greg Ross

Success,<BR>Installed the kit, inner and outer bushings, new seal caps and loaded with lube,<BR>Ahhhh, silence is golden.<BR>And just a little annoyed with myself I put up with the clatter/ rattle for so long.

Guest EDBS0

One small step for mankind one giant leap for Reattaites.<P>Good job, we'll let you keep your "Senior Member" status for at least another week.<P><B>AND</B> you have one big "Atta-boy" to your credit! grin.gif" border="0

Guest Greg Ross

Kit PN is;<BR>000018013996<BR>consists of;<BR>2 Seal Caps<BR>2 Outer Bushings<BR>2 Inner<BR>Services one caliper mounting.<BR>And thanx for the <B>Adda Boy!</B> EDBSO

Ok, that 'rattle' is that what I heard today while going over some bumps? (that's the only time I've heard such a thing) It sounded like it came from the rear passenger side..If I take it somewhere (It's my car, and my husband wouldn't know a bushing from a radiator) whatdya think it would cost to fix? It doesn't make the noise any other time, other than driving over 'chuck holes' that are patched... frown.gif" border="0

Guest Greg Ross

The rattle you're hearing may not necessarily be a caliper, or the caliper mounting. To test, find a string of those Chuck Holes and as you hear the rattle, apply the brakes. If rattle ceases it is one of several possibilities; Of course if it doesn't stop it's bound to be one of several othe possibilities! <BR>Calpiers, particularly rear ones don't have a very long life span generally. If the piston in the caliper has seized the shoes can rattle, as shoes get worn out....<BR>Best to have it looked at.

Ok, another nice day here in Ohio, (They're few and far between) I'll take her out and look for chuck holes and give it a try..Shouldn't be hard to find some! Thanks

Guest wally888

NO2Driver<BR> Use Search and find this thread. Interesting comments re. noises/causes<P> <P>Author Topic: A maintenance check for 91 and, maybe 90, owners <BR>wally888 <BR>Senior Member <BR>Member # 524 <BR> posted 09-19-2001 06:32 PM <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>I recently discovered a Stabilizer Link worn out on my 91(69k). Suspect the 90 also has this configuration, 88 and 89 have a different setup w/ a link that is different.<BR>These links, L. and R., connect the Stabilizer Bar to the front strut.<BR>My L. one is quite worn at the top joint, makes a very loud rattle when encountering a bump but makes no noise if the wheels are turned( link is under pressure when wheels are turned)<BR>To see if yours is worn:<BR>Park w/ wheels straight ahead.<BR>Grasp a front wheel at 11 and 1 o'clock.<BR>Jerk, pull and try to pull the tire off the rim several times in succession.<BR>There should be no play and no noise!<BR>Do both sides. My left one made more noise when I jerked on the right wheel.<BR>Please feel free to elaborate on the function of the link and it's importance on a reply. All I know is I am replacing one of mine.<BR>--------------------

Surprised to hear it is actually the caliper. Usually it is from buying aftermarket pads. Only the GM pads fit tight.

I broke the bottom pin on left rear(missing rubber cap),changed bracket and pins,brakes( non gm) they rattled soon after,suspected the brakes, turns out the caliper was stuck, swaped it out,with same brakes hasn't rattled since.