Anyone Keeping that special barnfind a Secret

Steve_Mack_CT

And want to share what it is, if not the location? Coming back from my errands this morning I got to thinking, within the last couple years a California MGB (no rust at all - rare up here), a '65 Chevelle - one family for around 35 years, and a '32 Ford pick up are now all gone. These cars were all within walking distance of my house and I knew about each of them. In fact, I had the first shot at the MG (passed on it, a mistake) and the Chevelle also (not a mistake, sold to someone on FL through a relative's contact - I am sure they were dissapointed when they looked underneath..) There is still a '66 Chevelle convertible under a tarp at another neighbors. He gave up halfway through a 6 to 8 cyl. conversion some time ago. I am only counting cars that are pretty much "out of use" that is, no restoration activity is being done on them or they are not finished show or driver type cars. In other words, cars you may be able to buy.

My point is, many probably keep mental or written notes on certain cars. Watching, waiting, maybe even working out a deal. I think this is interesting. I Recently got "skunked" when a friend took a nice '31 Vicky out of a home less than a mile from me, and he is from Mass - but he knew the car, and the fellow who owned it. It was rarely if ever driven in the 10 years I have lived in town, a once rural but growing area. The owner just got too old, and my friend was able to convince his daughter that he was the right person to buy the car, etc.

I recently learned of a big Healy, and while I am not really into those, I will do my due dilligence before passing this lead on, unless it is a super deal. I am also watching a Packard but that is less of a secret, just waiting for a friend to make a decision - he is an avid restorer, that is a bit different.

So, anyone watching anything in particular they want to talk about? Come on, there is no way we can beat you to it from the forum, right? wink.gif

Great topic Steve! I can't finish all the projects I have in my lifetime but there are two cars out there that I really want, ok, three but that third one is way off the charts if it could be bought. The number one tip is to tell the owner that you want first shot at the car once they think the time is right to part with it. Check in on a regular basis, don't be a pest, just keep track of the car and how the owners are doing. Be sure to leave your address and phone number with them.

Years ago I found a 37 Chrysler business coupe. I told a "good friend" about it and that I was supposed to get it the following Friday. The owner had agreed to hold it for me. When I arrived I found my "good friend" signing the title. mad.gif

If I know of any barn finds that I'm interested in I shall be sure to keep them a secret. grin.gif

Sometimes telling friends(?) about cars can be a bad idea. I have had this happen to me twice the first was a 1941 Dodge Luxury Liner club coupe and the second was a 1934 Dodge 2dr sedan. Needless to say, if I find any now I keep it to myself. I know of a 36 Ford coupe, 1932 Packard roadster, 1954 Hudson Jet, 1935 Auburn sedan and a few newer cars and trucks from the 40s and 50s and all in this tiny island out in the Atlantic Ocean. Brendan.

Rbl & Brendan, what happened to you guys is dirty pool for sure. That would end the friendship - and for most of us, this is a lifetime hobby. Stick it to a friend for a car - stupid. Not the case with my friend who got the Vicky. I was not chasing it - didn't know about it. He did, and elected to keep if to himself - totally fair game, just ironic - what can you do but laugh, right?

We don't need anything more specific than what you are watching, and if there are any good stories around it - but Brendan, if you were to pass on the Packard or the 36 Ford...

How about a 1912 EMF Touring. All original, complete, unrestored, everything there. You could probably drive it as it is with some clean up. It's in an old weathered New England barn filled with farm implements, bales of hay, horse harnesses, poultry cages. This thing is exactly what guys found looking for cars in the 1930's and 1940's. The whole place is a time machine for a long forgotten era.

I hope the owner never sells it, and never moves it. Just knowing that there is still a genuine old barn with a real antique car still in it that no one has ever touched and few people know about, is worth more than the cash the car would bring. I'd love to buy the whole place and just preserve it exactly as it is.

--SD

I know of a similar vehicle, Jeff. Mid 1920s Harley with sidecar, taken apart. Owner has owned it forever. He also has a Supercharged front-wheel-drive 1928 Alvis, also taken apart, but on the way to being put back together. Will not happen in his lifetime. He's owned the car since 1938.

Guest chopprjok

Alright guys this may or may not count.

Grandpa was a Chrysler dealer, and was diagnosed with cancer in the early 70's, he purchased a brand new 1973 Chrysler New Yorker with every bell and whistle known at the time. He wanted the kids to drive it, when they took him to the hospital for his chemo treatments. He died in 1976, and my grandmother had never had a drivers license to that point. The car remained in covered storage until 1990 when my grandma passed away. I was 20 at the time, and as they were dividing up everything from her estate, I was asked if there was anything that I wanted.

There was always something about that 21 foot land cruiser that I liked, so I asked for the car and got it. It has been in storage ever since, while I have concentrated on a 1928 Model A Roadster pickup that I owned, and then the 1922 Dodge Brothers Speedster that I have owned for the last 12 years.

This spring I plan to get the car out and see if I can get it running. It has a big block in it, but I haven't studied the codes to find out what it is.

The car has a total of 36k original miles, and they are documented correct. The car is 100% original, and it is my barn find for my future downtime.

OK guys, we all have favorite hidden treasure stories,

but I have to relate one about people a hidden treasures.

A couple years ago at our clubs Antique Car Show, this actually happenend.

As with most car shows, people sitting around talking to

each other about cars and projects. Along came a very elderly man looking at each car and expressing interest

to the owners. Not the usual "I had one just like it"

kind of interest, but what?, why? and do you do your

own work?

One of the memebers invited him to sit and talk. By the

end of the day the old guy was comfortable with the situation and revealed that he had several old cars

stored since 1964 and needed to get rid of them before going to an assisted living facility. Long story shortened, our member ended up buying all the cars including a 1932 Ford 3 window coupe, and a 36 Plymouth.

Moral of the story: It pays to be nice to people.

Right now there is a Willys Jeepster that has been in the garage for 30+ years that is less than a half mile from me. I've never seen it, but I've heard about it, the owner recently died, and the only one left from the family is a son who is mentally incapacitated who has never had a driver's license.

For years there was another guy less than a mile in the opposite direction that had a red '69 Plymouth GTX convertible that hadn't been on the road since the 70's. We had tried to get the guy to sell the car, he never would, so we quit asking. Two years ago a family friend bought the car out of the blue, restored it and sold it.

This is kinda a barn find - last year, I found a farmer who used to sell antique car parts, and is now retired from that. He has more than a dozen (one car sized) sheds, each full of parts to one kind of car, basically. He also has a field of bodies - roughly 1930 and older, which he will sell for a song. I bought two 1928 Dodge bodies from him last year, as well a one of the sheds contents. I don't have much "fooling around" money, but I plan to go there and make another buy this summer. Ideally, I'd like to buy the whole mess, and sell the parts. If anyone has that kind of loose cash, just waiting for a deal, contact me, and we'll talk. For now, however, I'm not talking! I have photos.

post-45205-143137965285_thumb.jpg

post-45205-143137965307_thumb.jpg

post-45205-143137965329_thumb.jpg

Looks like Willy's farmer friend has a great filing system grin.gifgrin.gif

Reminds me of a house I went to once to buy some Model A parts. "Well the "A" stuff is mostly in the basement, sheds and porch. Mustang in the den and dining room, and the garage is mostly Chevy" grin.gif

HELLO.HERE'S ONE I'LL GO SEE SATURDAY[VERY EARLY].GARAGED 1929 OAKLAND SEDAN,RUFFLED FENDER,6CYL ROLLS OVER,TOOLS AND JACK,DROOPING HEADLINER,HORN,SOUNDS LIKE 99.9% ORIG AND ALL THERE!WOOD SPOKES AND ALL 4 TIRES WITH AIR!HERES THE KICKER,UNDER$3000.00. OH YEA,THE LOCATION.....DO I NO U?!?! WILL LET U KNOW ITS IN NORTH AMERICA. ANYONE NO THE AVERAGE PRICE FOR ONE OF THESE OAKLANDS?