Bougie Mercedes Spark Plug

john barringer

Hi to you all from a member the UK. I have owned many cars throughout the last fifty years including some interesting cars from the USA. I have recently purchased a 1932 BSA Family Four (four seats, three wheels, two cylinders). In one of the many boxes containing parts for this car was an interesting spark plug. I will attempt to attach a picture but if that fails here is a description. 18mm thread size with three brass cooling fins at the top and a high quality knurled screew to hold the HT lead. The ceramic parallel insulation is black with yellow script marked "HERZ" on one side and "BOUGIE MERCEDES" on the other. Any ideas of date or any other info? plug1

Guest ZondaC12

I believe "bougie" is "spark plug" in Spanish. Perhaps French all I know is spark plugs are included in the group of products in this country sold with what it is called in at least 3 different languages on the side of the box, and I've always taken notice of that word in particular.

Hi John, as a long-time spark plug collector, I'm very familiar with the Herz Mecedes plugs. The porcelain insulator on your plug is probably just a very very dark blue rather than black. The gold lettering "Herz" refers to the company who made it. They were an early maker/distributor of automotive products and accessories, producing their own spark plug types as early as the 1890s. Their products were patented and distributed in a lot of different countries including France, Germany, and the USA.

The "Bougie Mercedes" is simply a brand name. The plug is not from a Mercedes automobile. "Bougie" in France means spark plug. Chances are your plug fits a motorcycle. The 18mm thread size was used in motorcycles, and the brass cooling fins on top were designed to help dissipate heat.

The earliest designs of the Herz plug are very rare (I'll attempt to get a few photos posted over the coming weekend). The earliest to have the name "Bougie Mercedes" on them used a brass body and white porclain with black letters. What you describe is typical of the plugs made during the later teens/twenties. The 18mm finned plugs were also used in aircraft engines, and a lot of WWI era surplus flooded the markets after the war. It isn't a particularly rare plug, but a good example is a nice addition to a spark plug collection. It's a high quality plug. So - you've got a good start. I guess we'll see you at the Beaulieu Autojumble this fall looking for more plugs right?

Terry

As promised, here is a selection of Herz spark plugs representing a sort of time-line. From left to right - the earliest Herz & Company plug circa 1900. The brass plug is a bit later, possibly up into the late 1900s. Third plug from the left is the first utilizing their patent "stone" insulating material. The big fat insulator is a protective cap that covers a smaller thin insulator. This plug dates from the 1905-8 time frame. The next plug is uses the dark blue insulator. Again, it is a protective cap fitting over another internal insulator. The last plug on the right is probably closer to what you have, without the brass fins on top. These plugs were in use up into the twenties I believe.

The last pic is of a pretty nice early brass plug that was actually from an early Mercedes. Not sure what year but am guessing late 1900s to early teens. I think the earliest Mercedes cars used a make and break ignition system powered by Bosch. Maybe there is a Mercedes experet out there who can put some dates to the changes in their ignition systems.

If you can post a picture of your plug I might be able to find an ad for it or a reference in one of my early catalogs.

Terry

post-30751-143137965094_thumb.jpg

post-30751-1431379651_thumb.jpg