Are 4 dr.sedans worth restoring?

Twitch

Ex98th- yeah the guy actually has his dream car which is a 64 Galaxie2 dr. HT. It's all finished. He just thought the 57 would be worth it as a project that ain't gonna take 10 years to complete and just wants another car for cruise ins.

I'll go one farther regarding at least 4 dr. HTs. They actually look better than the same model 2 dr. HT on the late 50s-60s designs. The length of the basic design HAS to take into account 2 and 4 doors in the model line for the same chassis and interchangability of certain body parts.

Many designs look better in proprotion as 4 dr. HTs than as 2 dr. HTs!th_Tip-Hat.gif

Agree on the porportion comments, that Buick is a really nice example. Well balanced, like a '61-63 Lincoln or Bently R type.

The other factor is you can get anything at all for a 55-57, at pretty good prices, too. So his restoration costs will be low assuming typical CA body condition. Most trim is stainless, so if it is not mangled, that is a question of restoration not replating.

I remember a high school friend had a bright yellow 4-door '57 we called it the schoolbus..

Guest Sheldon Rody

The four doors are desireable to a lot of us, and I believe the four door hardtop style will be the "next thing" in car collecting. The '65 Electra 225 custom 4drHT that I just got is great to drive, admire and I can take friends along for cruising. Elders have trouble getting in our 2dr so this 4dr is great. That look of all windows down on the hardtop is cool.

Guest oldslen

The cars of this era and before are becoming increasingly hard to find. If you love the car do it or sell it to some one who will spend the time and effort to bring it back to near new condition. Remember don't crush 'em ...restore 'em. We all admire a well done car be it a 4 door or convertible.

'Originally Posted By: 1948LincolnIt is crazy that these crappy economy cars like a Falcon, Comet or Fairlane are now collectable. Those are not good at all, whether a 4 door or 2 door!

Im REALLY gonna have to disagree with ya there. Falcon, Comet, Fairlane? Have you LOOKED at those? All three of those are totally stunning. I'd LOVE to own any of them. Besides later in the 60s you could have 'em with 302s 390s etc. so they werent just economy cars they became muscle too!'

Zonda C12,

No, they are far from stunning, stunning, is what you have in your pic. and the 1948 Lincoln and even the 1941 Dodge (with the new paint) no, if you like yours I don't think you would want to have a Falcon for long, I can barely stand driving my Mustang instead of my 1948 Lincoln, even though my Mustang is a higher end one with alot of the orig. options and it drives fantastically and looks great!, styling wise, my I would take my '48 over the Mustang or any other 60's car any day!

Guest ZondaC12

I think everyone who knows me well enough on here knows I love this car more than anything else I own. The biggest reason is sentimental value, however. It was my dad's, he owned it from when he was my age, and held on to it surely with the hope of bringing it out of hibernation himself and resurrecting it, possibly making a father-son project out of it. He was EVERYthing to me. He's the one responsible for putting 10w30 in my blood.

Secondarily, I love the fact that it is an <span style="font-weight: bold">old car</span> which is very different from the other 99% of vehicles I see daily, and which has put me in contact with some of the nicest, funniest, most knowledgeable group of people I have ever come into contact with. I don't love that it's a 1938 Buick Special, I love that its an <span style="font-weight: bold">old car</span>, a piece of Americana lingering though time itself marches on. Actually I WOULD take a 1963 Falcon. Straight six? HELL YEAH. No matter what car was lurking behind the door of that ratty garage, if it was in the condition this one is and able to be made roadworthy with the same time, effort, and money I have expended to do the same with this one, I would have done it, as long as it was at least say 25-30 years old. A '76 Pacer? You know, I think I still woulda dun it. I mean sheesh it looks like a fishbowl! Stands out like a sore thumb! People who liked Wayne's World would be goin NUTS.

Please know that I'm not trying to insult you, to call you an "elitist" or anything like that. But signs of it are showing. I don't want this to be seen as a personal attack, it's not. But I ask of you, consider the stuff you presently don't. "going on 80" Certainly you are, you belong in an earlier time, as do I. I so wish I was living in the 60s/70s. Between the muscle cars and the hot rods and rock n roll, I am SOOO jealous of my elders.

But something to chew on!!!! Back to my dad! He bought this car, with his own money, in 1968, I think for $200 or less, in 1968 money. How interesting, THAT car was worthless, an old "clunker". Everything new had power like CRAZY! It was a Greyhound bus surrounded by rocketships on four wheels. Was he likely purchasing it just as daily transportation? Sure! He did in fact. But WHY did he keep it? Sure enough, look at it now, you have so much praise to offer me of it! That wouldn't be the case when it was 30 years old and amid a surge in automobile performace that happened so quick that after the emissions era NOW, 30 years later we are finally seeing something like it again, but it's taken that long!

YES of course we must look after the very old stuff, you mention a "1926 chevy" or whatever it was is sitting out there rusting. YES we must try to preserve as much automotive history as we can! But we can't dismiss the more contemporary vehicles at the same time, and those that perhaps werent the fastest, most powerful, most expensive, and most exclusive! They carry value too! I just don't understand how you can't even appreciate others' love for the vehicles you seem to see little point in even looking at. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my attitude is something a friend of mine said once "ANYTHING old".

There was a thread "restoring 2000 model cars". Go read it! Dave@Moon made a good point that I contested but I think he's really right on it....those things are gonna have to be preserved AS IS, not restored down the road once they are rotted hulks! Theyre just too complicated, the parts availablility, etc just wont be what it is for a tri-5 chevy, for a 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, THOUGH 1200 or so were made, and with a 0-60 of 5.8 seconds, in it's day, it was the FASTEST 4 door sedan in America, and a hell of a sleeper too. Almost ANY car.....someone....out there...could not see one for 15 or 20 years....then see it again and get that nostalgic feeling that only that kind of reunitement can bring about. Why else would anyone in the early part of this century ever have thought "hey lets fix up OLD cars!" At least that's my thought anyway. Nostalgia has to be the biggest driver of this hobby. If nothing else it's surely why the Average Joe spectators come to take a look! They may not have the want or means to own one but they remember them and seeing them again is exhilirating, certainly.

I REALLY don't want to write a book here, so I'm gonna sum this up now. I think you may be placing too much emphasis on the level of the status/price/class/etc totem pole a particular aged vehcile comes from. At a partuclar Wednesday night summer cruise-in nearby I have seen actually everything from a 1930-something Marmon...to a 70s Volkswagen Thing. Now, personally I HATE VW's. I just can't stand em. I guess the one old car I wouldn't want is a Beetle. That's the only one I can think of. (Perhaps this makes me a hypocrite, though it might be the length of time they stuck with that bodystyle that puts me off, it makes it tough to know even what DECADE even one came from!) But I would not scoff at one at a show, as I didn't at the Thing. If shows only contained the high-dollar vehicles and we only fixed them, how representative of the time period is THAT? If we want to preserve the automotive history of this nation we need to preserve ALL levels of it! To know, in 1965, that the president of Bell Labs probably drove a custom decked out as could be 1965 Lincoln Continental, or perhaps a Cadillac Coupe De Ville with an air-ride system HE himself somehow pulled strings and got Cadillac to custom engineer for HIM only (okay yeah this is a stretch but y'all know what I'm saying!).....and to know what John Doe, the head of the janitorial staff at Bell Labs, was driving, perhaps a '57 Metropolitan he somehow found at a total giveaway because it had high mileage or a tear in the passenger seat.

In my very humble opinion, which I do not claim to be unbiased nor the universal truth, I believe they ALL matter and are all worthy of out attention, at least a second glance. Both Mr. CEO and Mr. Janitor have feelings, they can both feel nostalgia, and I think they both deserve to have a taste of their younger years. And our generation, and future ones, should get to see what makes both these individuals get "taken back to that special place".

Well thats my piece for now. More rambling from a kid trying to discuss an activity thats been around way longer than I even know! I don't know why I do it. Look at me, its 2:30 in the morning and I haven't gone to bed yet! For shame! Someones not going to be very healthy wealthy and wise tomorrow. I guess I can't help myself. I miss Home Improvement and I never saw all of the episodes, and this is when theyre on. I guess I'm bored and this interests me just a *little* too much. Alright goin to bed now cant wait to talk to you all tomorrow! YOU too Wes, no hard feelings! Just throwin' a few bones your way!

Well, I'll get you a Falcon, if you give me that '38 (LOL!) you should respond on the other post! (Give me some back up!)

'Please know that I'm not trying to insult you, to call you an "elitist" or anything like that. But signs of it are showing. I don't want this to be seen as a personal attack, it's not. But I ask of you, consider the stuff you presently don't. "going on 80" Certainly you are, you belong in an earlier time, as do I. I so wish I was living in the 60s/70s. Between the muscle cars and the hot rods and rock n roll, I am SOOO jealous of my elders.'

I had to copy and paste it because I cant look at my post and yours at the same time! Anyway, I am not an 'elitist' as Davemoon claims, in fact, I am the stark opposite, if it is a good car, it is a good car, no matter what era it is. When I go to car shows, people think that economy car X or etc. is so far superior to the other better cars of the same era or the grand oldies of the era before, which is not true, people think that just because it is an old car that means it is worth something, etc. but, what I am trying to point out is that those are economy cars! With less of a build quality and design than another car from the same year and brand! If it is a good car it is a good car! I am not one of those who says brand X is better than brand Y! If it is good than it is good! I do not live in the right time at all, I belong, in the time when my 88 year old grandmother was my age, 1940! I really don't fit in in this modern era! In terms of morality, standards, dress, etc.

'YES of course we must look after the very old stuff, you mention a "1926 chevy" or whatever it was is sitting out there rusting. YES we must try to preserve as much automotive history as we can! But we can't dismiss the more contemporary vehicles at the same time, and those that perhaps werent the fastest, most powerful, most expensive, and most exclusive! They carry value too! I just don't understand how you can't even appreciate others' love for the vehicles you seem to see little point in even looking at. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my attitude is something a friend of mine said once "ANYTHING old".'

Well, the older cars are now largely ignored, because they are not the popular or 'in' models to have in car circles, now, when my grandfather Willison's (21 chevy and 48 Lincoln)era was in to classic cars, they liked the old ones (40's and before) now, that is becoming a lost thing because, they are not 'worth' the 'investment' or people are just in it for money, and money can't be made there. Meanwhile our history is going down the drain. For example, even though production numbers on say, my 1921 Chevy, might have been similar to a 1960's car, there are far less of the 21 chevy around, because, they were made mostly out of wood! (I have become quite a carpenter!) These cars are being lost everyday because, they are not worth anything and people don't want to waste the time, the 1960's cars will be around for years to come, because of their superior building materials (all metal).

'They carry value too! I just don't understand how you can't even appreciate others' love for the vehicles you seem to see little point in even looking at'

They do carry value, I do appreciate other's love for these vehicles, not, once, did I say that I did not. As for me seeing little point of looking at them, there are a million 60's cars (it is really getting old! and boring!) at every car show that I go to, now here in CA there is rarely an un-hotrodded pre 1960's car! So, no, unless it really is a great looking car or in really good unrestored or unhotrooded condition or non lowrider (have alot of those here!) than no. I should probably rephrase, which one would you rather look at, your 1938 (my choice! Can I have it?!) or a 1965 Dart!? The post said 'once crappy' economy cars. When they were new, they were considered crappy I never said they were crappy that has been a misnomer with the angry posters!, it was not until recently when everyone thinks that every old car is worth something, that they were not considered this anymore! Crazy how things work! It would be like oneday, someone considers a 2007 Daewoo worth more than a 2007 Lincoln or Cadillac! See what I am trying to say?

Anyway, like I said before, I do not belong in this time, my room is old fashioned with old furniture from the 40's strewn about (I do have a flatscreen T.V. though!) I wear polo shirts and docker pants and nice 'grandpa' style shoes and I jump into my 1941 Dodge Buisness Coupe (an economy car of that era, but, the difference with the economy cars of the 40's 50's and before is that all the major brands had their economy cars appointed with nice designs and nice interiors, Chrome and great dashboards the 60's was the start of what we see now, where they cut down on the good designs and made the economy cars, spartan in the good 'ol days the economy cars from the major companies still looked great, and you got your moneys worth!) and Drive to school! I still believe in the American way and Apple Pie and the rest. So, I am old fashioned!

Guest ZondaC12

Well I do totally hear ya on the ubiquitousness of 60s vehicles. That's a fact, and it seems like many people are rushing to "cash in" and yanking these cars out of the ground and hurling them out onto the market as quickly as possible. Personally I'm hoping what others predict will happen, will. That it will depress prices, so someday one of em might be in my reach! laugh.gif

And no I do not wish to trade the 38 right now laugh.gif I would say that I would not want to replace it with an early 60s smaller vehicle. I just meant that I'd take whatever it was that slept there for a quarter-century.

If you stil haven't gotten an answer out of this thread....I think it's nothing more than the baby-boomers retiring. Certainly it's no mystery to you that the same thing has caused the absolute skyrocket in musclecar prices. I would guess a "coattail effect" has sent their little brothers with them to some extent. And then of course hearing about this every moron with a clapped out swiss cheese 1963 Falcon thinks it's worth as much as the Boss 429 that just crossed the block for 6 digits.

You mention a 2007 Daewoo vs. a 2007 Cadillac. I wouldn't imagine in a million years it would happen...but simple economics drives it. If, hypothetically years from now for SOME reason (I know...crazy right?) theres a huge demand for the little thingy and none for the Cad, and being that the Cad's upper level and maybe more have survived and more have been kept up, where as most of the Daewoo's have been driven into the ground, it will jump in value. From the discussion I hear on this forum it seems like muscle cars should NOT be worth this much, they too were rather affordable in their day! The old Big Classics will always hold their value for the reasons you're mentioning but I guess you'll always get waves of groups of people suddenly interested in a particular era....and then all hell breaks loose.

I've been trying to acquire a '69 Plymouth Fury 1 for almost twenty years from a friend. Nothing spectacular, 4dr sedan, auto trans, a/c 440 cid, spotlights, holes drilled in hood for the light up sign "stop/state police". Yep, a Michigan State Police cruiser, been in a barn for probably thirty years. Every time I see him, I still try to talk him out of it.

Maybe some day...........

I have owned only one four door car, and I will never own another. I hated looking to the side to see a post. I think 2 doors just look better. I rarely have passengers, and when I do, it is usually only one. So I am not going to get a four door so that just in case I have a rear seat passenger once or twice a year, they will have slightly easier access. And I found it extremely inconvenient that when I wanted to put something in the back, I had to open the front door, unlock the rear door, open the rear door, close the rear door, lock the rear door, and then close the front door. In my 2 door, I open the door, and just drop whatever in the back. Contrary to previous comments, most 4 doors were not stretched 2 doors. From the 1950's to 1970's most models (not all, but most) shared the same wheelbase for 2 and 4 doors. And I hate that for the last 25 years, four doors have been shoved down our throats, and 2 doors have basically vanished. My mom wanted a new car in 2006. She hates 4 doors and little cars. She had a 2 door Buick. So we looked at Buick, then Cadillac, Lincoln, Mercury, Chrysler, and Dodge. None of them had a 2 door. She liked the looks of the Mustang, but didn't like sitting in it. Didn't like the Pontiac G6 and the GTO price was ridiculous, and it was still small. She doesn't like foreign cars, and yet her choice was limited to a Toyota Solara, and Chevy Monte Carlo. She didn't like the Toyota, mainly I think because it was foreign. So she bought a Monte Carlo SS and was pissed that she had to drop down from a Buick to a Chevy. Now that is discontinued as well. So I guess if she wanted a new car now, she would be buying a Toyota. So when I buy an old car, I am going to buy something you can't get anymore, a full size 2 door.

That being said, the 4 door '57 Chevy looks like a steal from the picture. And a 4 door is the only reasonably priced way to get a '57 Chevy.

Guest ZondaC12

Keep tryin!!!! That would be nuts! I know someone with a genuine original CHP 1972 Dodge Polara that over 10 years or so he's obtained everything from the gun rack (and fake gun to put there :D) to the lights to the BIG motorola radio and whip antenna. The thing is beautiful. It too has a 440 with a/c. He loves the thing, so do I, that 440 sounds NICE, and I still gotta ask him to give me a ride next summer he certainly will, I just haven't thought to ask. He says it MOVES with that 440. Bigger is better. WAY better.

I hope at least the car isn't deteriorating too much in there! frown.gif

What a freakin wacko and destroyer of automobilia. Why would anyone sit for 30 years on a totally average Plymouth of which zillions were made? If it's an old patrol car and was sold to the public you know it was crapped out. Even with the 375HP 440 and A/C it's worth only $5,500 average and $8,400 in primo condition.

THIS is what is the matter with the peripheral hobby car scene. Time and time again we hear of uninformed dorks with more rare cars than this sitting on them as they degrade back to iron oxide with the warped idea that their value will be astounding in decayed condition and not restored.

Get rid of the vehicle if you don't SERIOUSLY plan to refurbish it in the next 5 years or less. Cut your losses amd move on. These jamokes can't even be bothered with the simpliest maintence such as starting the thing occassionally.

Guest ZondaC12

I guess people just get too attached to them and have the mentality that they MUST be getting the short end of the stick if they let it go. I've heard so many of those stories ending with "Naww Ima gunna ruh-store it sumdayyy".

I recently did a 1956 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer 4dr Hardtop

and took it to the Buried car meet in Tulsa Oklahoma last June. The buried car was the star of the show, but based on the number of people that wanted to have their picture taken with my Pink and Black beauty I think mine was a close 2nd. I also have a 1962 Dodge Dart 440 4 dr sedan. This was done about 3 years ago and it turns heads where ever it goes. People I think are beginning to realize that the 4dr is the only car left that is decently priced enough to be affordable. In sillouette the middle to late 50's cars and the early 60's cars you could not tell the difference between the two.

Zonda, i agree with you. i love old cars. i have a 52 olds 88 4 door. i was on a budget, needed to get a car and on the road for under 5k. i didnt care which make or model, just something from the early fifties. 2 door or 4 door was never even a factor in my decision. save em all. mike

I have been asked by a friend help him find his first antique car. He is open on make but specifically wants a four door sedan. Also open on year but preferably pre-war. This to go with a newly opened bed & breakfast. They kind of want to combine occasional business picking up guests with pleasure. Since he is not really mechanically inclined, I am steering him towards late 30s to 48 (prewar style) "Big three" or Packard models. A bigger Buick or simillar would be ideal. Must be a 3+ minimum, I am thinking more like a 2. If anyone here knows of something like that pretty much ready to roll, in the New England area, let me know please.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Steve, Not quite in the New England area but aside from that I believe this might fit the bill. The ultimate in "four doors".1942 Buick Limo. Can you imagine being picked up from the airport in this. Not sure if it is still for sale, but I can check.

c2427bc4.jpg

fe788368.jpg

9d20b30f.jpg

448ae8ce.jpg

Yes Mr. Earl, that would be ideal. Both model and condition. We missed on a super '36 LaSalle due to the fact we just couldn't get there to see it in December, then a local antique dealer had a very similar car to the above, a '41 Buick, long wheelbase just like this one, he sold it on eBay within a week. We are both through busy season, it is now time to step up the search! (love spending other peoples money! grin.gif)

Guest imported_MrEarl

And I love selling other peoples cars wink.gif. I've learned that it is indeed available. I would love to have the car myself but it would mean selling a 54. eek.gif You've got a PM

g'luck

Buy what you like!!

May be I am the freak, but I see 4 doors as a family sedans. I am sorry, no offense but a spartan 4 door, few options may be a memory of old days and relatives..but why not relive the memory with a sporty model of same make/vintage?

I always chuckle as i admire those old mohair 4doors

that appear at outings (rarely just driven and enjoyed)

as I jerk my head away from that stuffy cabin reeking of

moth balls...I cant imagine convincing my family to pile in

a fordor non ac car on a summer day to go anywhere....

I grew up with 60's pontiacs..parents had bonnevilles..no tilt..no power..no ac..usually a wagon (very cool). I

sit behind the tilt wood wheel, look at the full instrumentaion of my 67 2+2 conv, and it reminds me of the times sitting looking out over the proud poncho hood..no different than it would be were it a wagon...but I dont need a wagon...it is a pleasure car..sunny day...summer for most ( my daily driver).

I understand and respect all old car dudes...but why get a boring toy. Is it any wonder the hardtops and convs and limos.. are desireable...well, it is beacuse they used to be the sporty car...they are not common.

Do you look for a gal like grandma ?? Nostalgia only

go's so far.

Live and let live . Have fun with what ever u like..buy it for u. There will always be critics..

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff b (zeff 40)</div><div class="ubbcode-body">non ac car on a summer day to go anywhere....

</div></div>

I dunno about that! I open all the windows including the vent windows on my '38 and the cowl vent and I'll tell ya some air moves through there alright!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been asked by a friend help him find his first antique car. He is open on make but specifically wants a four door sedan. Also open on year but preferably pre-war. This to go with a newly opened bed & breakfast. They kind of want to combine occasional business picking up guests with pleasure. Since he is not really mechanically inclined, I am steering him towards late 30s to 48 (prewar style) "Big three" or Packard models. A bigger Buick or simillar would be ideal. Must be a 3+ minimum, I am thinking more like a 2. If anyone here knows of something like that pretty much ready to roll, in the New England area, let me know please. </div></div>

Here's something I wrote in November of 2005. Maybe it'll inspire you/him:

5 Great Ways to Break Into the Old Car Hobby

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would anyone sit for 30 years on a totally average Plymouth of which zillions were made? If it's an old patrol car and was sold to the public you know it was crapped out. Even with the 375HP 440 and A/C it's worth only $5,500 average and $8,400 in primo condition.

THIS is what is the matter with the peripheral hobby car scene. Time and time again we hear of uninformed dorks with more rare cars than this sitting on them as they degrade back to iron oxide with the warped idea that their value will be astounding in decayed condition and not restored.

Get rid of the vehicle if you don't SERIOUSLY plan to refurbish it in the next 5 years or less. Cut your losses amd move on. These jamokes can't even be bothered with the simpliest maintence such as starting the thing occassionally.</div></div><span style="font-weight: bold">NO WAY!!! </span>If you have a place to store the vehicle and it's paid for, <span style="font-weight: bold">KEEP IT!! </span>The prices on any of these cars will never completely fade away.

It took us over 35 years to get our Plymouth pickup restored. We had a place to keep it, it was paid for, and now that it's done, it's a nice vehicle that we still have. The price paid on that vehicle back in the day was $400, and if we had sold the truck and banked the money, the income earned on the money in the bank would've never risen as high as the value that the truck has.

We still have several vehicles that are unrestored, but at this point we're doing all of our own restoration work ourselves one vehicle at a time.

What may be plentiful today my be a rarity tomorrow...

Thanks for the tip, Mr. Earl - I sent you a response.

Matt, I loved your article. Exactly what I have been advising my friend. I actually am steering him away from a couple of local restored "A""s nice cars but I know it is just a bit too much regular tinkering for him. That 8-10 years or so makes a lot of difference in roadability, especially for a newcomer. 8 cylinder a plus, but for mainly around town it should not be a dealbreaker for the right car. My '39 Chevy and '41 Plymouth(first car in '78!) used to do just fine as long as I was not drag racing!

Along related lines your story is a philosophy I totally agree with. Accept the guy with the Gremlin or Vega but show him what pre-war options are there, and you may really add interest to the older stuff. Many of those cars can be had very reasonably and put on the road for peanuts. I think this is still the case even though your article is a few years old.

Thanks -

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The price paid on that vehicle back in the day was $400, and if we had sold the truck and banked the money, the income earned on the money in the bank would've never risen as high as the value that the truck has.

</div></div>

Uh, you're neglecting the cost of restoration there. How much do you have in it relative to what it is worth today? I'll wager it's a negative number, even doing the work yourself.

Banking $400 and earning interest is a MUCH better way to earn money than restoring old cars. You may as well drive down the highway throwing $20s out the window. I just look at those costs as the price of having fun, just like going to the amusement park or taking a vacation. I'm certainly not in it to make a buck.

If you have room to store them and plan to get to them, it doesn't hurt. But if it's rotting back to its elemental condition outside and it's been there for more than 5 years, it's probably better to let it go to someone who will love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Banking $400 and earning interest is a MUCH better way to earn money than <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">restoring</span></span> old cars. </div></div>

Matt, I agree with the highlighted part of your statement above, but the purchase of some models of already restored or good examples of automobiles can be a very good investment. It all depends on what you paid for it, or how rare it may be.

Wayne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Banking $400 and earning interest is a MUCH better way to earn money than <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">restoring</span></span> old cars. </div></div>

Matt, I agree with the highlighted part of your statement above, but the purchase of some models of already restored or good examples of automobiles can be a very good investment. It all depends on what you paid for it, or how rare it may be.

Wayne </div></div>

Roger that, Wayne. Restoring most cars = money loser. Buying done cars that will have a fairly level value, or even one that appreciates, is the way to go if you want to minimize the cost of your "fun" in the hobby. To me, the restoring is as much fun as the driving, and as soon as the Buick is done (ha!), I'm sure I'll start something else.

I dunno ex98th- a guy has a 69 Plymouth that by 1979 was not unusual, sought after, rare or exotic and then sits on it for 30 years as Zonda mentions. That is tantamount to attempting to forecast what car will be popular, valuable or hard to find in the future out of all the mass produced cars.

That's like us today parking a worn out 1999 Taurus and willing it to escalate in value knowing it will need an engine rebuild in 2038. Wonder what that will cost in 30 years.

Matt has it right- stick a few bucks in an account that bears interest and in 30 years you could buy whatever car you want.huh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uh, you're neglecting the cost of restoration there. How much do you have in it relative to what it is worth today? I'll wager it's a negative number, even doing the work yourself.</div></div>We do all of our work ourselves, and dollar for dollar it may cost us a few bucks more, but when it's all said and done, we know what we've got, and we know every square inch of it.

In the case of our woodie, there is no one that will ever tell us that we can buy a restored version for less money than what we have in it. If there is, give me a call and we'll start buying them up.

When you buy a restored vehicle, you never know what kind of hidden mysteries that are going to crop up that could wind up being an even bigger money pit than if you have a car restored. Besides, when you win awards at national meets on a vehicle that you've restored yourself it means a lot more than writing a check and turning the key.

You can't put a price or a value of sweat equity.

Our vehicles are all paid for, we have a place to store them inside, and we don't have to feed them. I wouldn't want it any other way.

A clapped our 69 Plymouth probably woulda been wholesaled out at $1-1,500 in 1971 when it was replaced.

There's little margin to work with. Kanters lists the 440 deluxe rebuild kit at $1,680. Another $230 for Torqueflite kit. This is saying you have the skill to rebuilt trannies and big blocks in your garage. Rebuilt 440s can be found for $15-1,600 plus freight though. If you're lucky the chrome can be polished to good enough for a driver but how much rust began and accumulated during the time it was in the road and how is it after 30 years of festering? Those big bumpers are gonna cost about $4-500 each if they do need chrome though. Can't do that at home

Is it going to be restored as a police cruiser with lights insignia and all that? Either way body and paint required. More for police car work plus how much for correct light bar of the era.

I'd sure want to get the interior done to be sure of clearing out critters' nests and rat poop Hanta virus fixings. I'm impressed if you all can do body, paint plus upholstery at home.

I reckon you could come up with a "fair" driver but not a "high retail" car.

Or, what the hell, just git it running and have a Blues Brothers look! At any rate a thoroughly used police vehicle will never be as good a base as a lightly used, personally owned sedan to build.

My point is that 30 years ago we pretty well knew that a GTX or Roadrunner was THE 69 Plymouth to have then or to lay away for 30 years. They were cool then and are very cool now. If one is going to allow free room and board for a car for 3 decades he shoulda made it for at least what was a cool car.

I guess a lot of it has to do with what you're going to do with the car. In our case we point judge our cars, so we go all through them ourselves. If it was a driver and we had to hire the work done, then the story quickly changes.

In the case of cars like the Model 'A's, it would cost you way more to restore the car than what you could buy the finished car for, but to buy a Model 'A' that is restored and have it nice enough to point judge changes things.

No, all cars are not worth restoring. I have looked at several cars this past year. By the time I got them running, painted, upholstered, rechromed, and some other misc. I could buy 2 or 3 of the same model fully restored. And that is not even including the initial purchase price which is usually overinflated. So I am still looking.