What engine / year combinations ?

There will be people better suited to tell you exact months and all but basically the '89 was available with the 4 cyl. turbo w/8 valves and a 3 speed automatic. There was also a 4 cyl 16 valve that most of us refer to as the maserati motor or the 16 valve which was acompanied with a gertrag 5 speed tanny. Colors available were yellow, red, & royal cabernet, with interior color being either ginger or bordeaux. 1990 was the last year for the 16 valve engine w/5 speed, & it was the start of the 3.0 litre v-6 and 4 speed automatic tranny. Exterior colors were red, white, black, & yellow with interior colors being either black or ginger. The final year was 1991 and they were all 6 cyl. w/4 speed automatics, althoug the final car made was a white 16 valve with bordeaux interior that was considered a 1990 model. it is a very nice color combination. Shame they did not offer that one more. Well there you go. Jasper

Thanks guys! The main reason for my question is a vehicle I am keepin my eye on that is a 89 with a 6 cyl. As per Jaspers reply , I too thought 89's were all 4 cyl turbos.?? Could it be the guy with the TC for sale can't count cylinders?(which might not be TOO far fetched...my 19yr old son swore that my 4cyl Aspire was a 3cly shocked.gif ) Or maybe a engine swap occurred? But that would require a tranny swap also..correct?

A lot of people will look at the door plate and see the production month/year and think that means the model year of the car. NOT SO.

The first 89 models were built in 1988 and the first 1990 models were built in 1989. All the 1991 models were built in 1990.

This person probably saw the build date on the door plate that had late 89 on it and assumed the car was an 89.

For regular production cars (not talking about TC's here) the new model year production will start somewhere around August the year before. That means that most 89 model year cars were built from August 1988 until July 1989. The way to tell for sure is the VIN for the car. For the TC's the 10th digit of the VIN for 89 is a K, for 90 it is an L, for 91 it is an M. Engine is the 5th digit of the VIN, P is the 8valve 4 cyl, R is the 16valve 4 cyl, S is the V6.

I do not believe so. I think by Federal Mandate All vehicles sold as model year 1990 had to have Driver Air Bag I also believe there were no 4 cyl turbo II in the '90 production run; and no V6 3.0 in the '89 production run. There were however about 115 16v 4 cyl in the '90 production run. I hope this helps, Lou

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LouZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jasper try this web address see if it answers your questions. http://members.aol.com/TCMasratiPage/TC/Specs.html

</div></div>

Thanks Lou, I did not make myself clear enough. I meant a spreadsheet that was being kept now of how many are still out there. There have been rumors or quesstimates of how many of the 16 valve cars have survived? It is estimated that at least 1/2 are gone to supply parts for still running ones, for racers wanting those rare heads, wrecked ones that have been sent to the crushers and boneyards. Being there were only 501 to start with, that really starts to dwindle the #'s on these little jewels. The automatics are very nice, but the 5 speeds are like different animals. The performance is unreal for a 4 cyl. 3000lb car. I had read years ago that only around 1700 of the 7300 total TC's are registered on the road today. That doesn't mean that is all that is left but just the ones that are registerred. If that # is correct which I believe it is, I suspect there are less than 1/2 of the 7301 left out there in a running complete status. I try and keep up with as many 16 valves as I can. As you can tell from the cars I own, I keep up with the 1990 models mostly. If there was a semi current spreadsheet on the 16 valves, I would love to see how many we know of out there. Most people are always nervous that someone is trying to find out where they are where they can buy them, but most of us have all we can handle now. At least that is what our Wives keep telling us. ha ha Thanks, Jasper email to mishunaire@aol.com

PS Anyone wanting to help keep up with the 16 valves, send me any info you have on any and I will gladly make up a speadsheet and make it available to anyone interested. Things like year, color, int. & top color, and state or city where you saw or own it. If it was driveable or in a parts yard would be helpful also. I have all the newsletters since the inception of the TC club and the fOR SALE section is a good start for the spreadsheet but no telling if the ones that were for sale 15 years ago are still out there.

Jasper, go to the site in Lou's link and it gives the breakdown for production figures. Just notice that the number of red/ginger/black top TC's with the 8 valve engine was left off of their list.

I do have a database on my yahoo group that lists any TC I have come across for sale with the VIN in the listing. You have to join the group to see the database, photos and files sections.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mad_Bohemian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys! The main reason for my question is a vehicle I am keepin my eye on that is a 89 with a 6 cyl. As per Jaspers reply , I too thought 89's were all 4 cyl turbos.?? Could it be the guy with the TC for sale can't count cylinders?(which might not be TOO far fetched...my 19yr old son swore that my 4cyl Aspire was a 3cly shocked.gif ) Or maybe a engine swap occurred? But that would require a tranny swap also..correct?

</div></div>

Maybe a steering wheel transplant. That would be much easier. ha ha What color ext and interior was it? I can definitely see your confusion. Jasper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mad_Bohemian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Color is Cabernet w/Ginger int. it's the one on Ebay

I have a question that I sent the seller asking just that Jasper, if they knew of the steering wheel being replaced...the mystery continues...the mileage is apparently a mystery also.. wink.gif </div></div>

The color is a '89 model only, also. So if you have not seen the 6 cyl. engine, I believe someone is mistaken on their listing. I saw a 4 cyl last week that quoted it had 200 hp and was an 8 valve with an automatic. They just looked something up and were mistaken. Will take a look though. That may be the rarest Maserati TC in the World, just like the white 5 speed with bordeaux int. Just kidding of course. Jasper

PS it sure seems to be a '89 model with the later interior with the woodgrain look. I am sure when you see it with the hood up, you will see 4 plug wires and not 6. Just me 2 cents, Jasper

PSS thanks for the listing of your 2 16 valves cars. And the one that will be gone come spring is 1 of 15 in that color combo. Yipes! Thanks for entry, what state and city are they in? If you ever get a chance to email me the VINS would appreciate it. mishunaire@aol.com