oil/coolant question

Guest Packardsforever

Guest Packardsforever

For 37-39 120 sedans what coolant/oil do/would ya'll run? Also, how hard is it to backflush the block on a 39 120? I saw it done on a 38 on the DIY network but really can't remember what the steps are.

Thanks

If you live where anti-freeze is required, 50/50 permanent anti-freeze of the etylene glycol type is typically used. If you live where no freezing temperatures are encountered, I'd use distilled water and one of the verious rust-inhibitor additives.

Lots of opinions on oil. Many of us use SAE20W-50 year-round, though the latest version (API CJ-4) is somewhat emaciated from the previous version due to the new catalytic converter requirements on trucks.

Guest imported_Speedster

If I lived in the Cold Cold North, like some of you do, with -30 deg temps, I think I'd be using 100% Antifreeze.

Luckily here in Texas, 'A little Dab 'el Do ya'.

Same goes for Oil, Straight 30 or 40W will do fine here, since I never drive them in below 50deg. weather, anyway. So It mainly depends on the climate where you live, for Both.

Sorry, I meant SAE15-40, not 20-50 in my earlier response here (getting dislexic?), a really good year-round oil choice for most climates and yes, it also rated for light diesel eigine use. Mobil's Delvac is more or less equivalent to the Shell Rotella T. I use this in flat-tappet Packard but use Formula Shell SAE 30 in my roller tappet 34 Eight.

You can backflush thru the upper radiator hose (remove the thermostat) down into the head and out the lower radiator hose which you've already removed from the radiator tank. You can often find the flushing "guns" at flea markets that fit multiple size upper hoses and accept both water and compressed air inputs for the flush. It is also very important to remove the water distribution tube for cleaning.

Hey Speedster, be careful about using 100% antifreeze. If what you buy is already a packaged dilution with water, I'd agree but 100% ethylene glycol (the original Prestone type before they started selling premix) freezes at a higher temperature than the 50/50 mix, sort of like a liquid eutetic.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Owen_Dyneto</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 100% ethylene glycol freezes at a higher temperature than the 50/50 mix</div></div>

I was joking about the 100% antifreeze, but now that you mention it, Does 50/50 mix Actually keep it from freezing up when the temps get down close to -40 (minus 40), like it has recently in some areas of northern USA, and it's probably even Colder in Canada, where some of our forum members are. I have No experience with temps that Low, since it very seldom gets below +30 here anymore.

Guest CaptainBristol

I have used 50-50 antifreeze/water mix in Alaska, where temperatures usually go down to -40 (and below) every winter, with no problems.

All the best,

Mark in Alaska

Guest imported_Speedster

Okay, Thanks, It's good to know it Actually works. wink.gif

If we suddenly get another 'Ice Age' down here. laugh.gif

Of course I'll have Moved to Mexico or SouthAmerica by then. laugh.gif

Temperatures here on the north shore of Lake Superior occasionally get into the -40's. It's been around -25 during the nights here for the past week. I typically mix 60% antifreeze/40%water to get the fluid down to -60 protection. In the summer I switch to water and rust inhibitors.

Guest imported_Speedster

Uh-Oh, Does the 60-40 Mix of Dave's fit into Owen's 'Liquid eutetic theory'? If so, how high can you go on the Antifreeze percentage before it Stops Increasing the ability to Not freeze (starts raising the freeze point temp) ???

<span style="font-size: 14pt"> <span style="color: #33CC00"> *** </span> <span style="color: #FF6666"> <span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'"> ? How High Can You Go ? </span> </span> <span style="color: #33CC00"> *** </span> </span>

Guest imported_Speedster

Thanks for the Info.

You mean someone actually Reads the Labels? laugh.gif

I'll have to try that sometime.

Naw, to much Trouble, I'll just ask you guys, Instead. wink.gif