Suggested reading material for possible new 1948 Continental Cou

Guest Harry Connors

Guest Harry Connors

What books or other literature do you guys recommend for someone who may become an owner of a 48 Continental Coupe. It looks like the trade (see new guy needs assistance post) will go through; we are still working on the fine details. I have a copy of the owners glove box manual, a repair manual for the V12 engine and one for the overdrive.

Thanks Harry

Guest imported_V12Bill

I have found the Ocee Rich book to be full of bad and questionable information. Not a bad starting point, but move on and see where his information is dated.

GEE, WELL ..OK,

SOUNDS LIKE AN ELECTED OFFICIAL FROM THE "OTHER PARTY" SHOOT DOWN THE OTHER GUYS SUGGESTION, BUT OFFER NO BETTER,

IDEAS...

OC BOOK IS FUN... IT IS OLD..BUT FOR THOSE PEOPLE THAT BELONG TO "OUR" CLUB...RIGHT ON PAR. LOOK AT OUR CLUB RAG...READ ABOUT NEW CARS, TRAINS, TRIPS TO EUROPE, MODIFIED LINCOLNS WITH CRATE MOTORS..AND CLASSIFIEDS THAT NEVER CHANGE...MOST READERS SEEM AMUSED..OR HAVE FAILING MEMORIES SO THEY DONT MIND...

THERE IS A NICE COFFEE TABLE BOOK OUT, LATE 90'S, LOTS OF GOOD PICS FROM FACTORY LIT..

CALLED "LINCOLN" HAS LARGE PIC OF 38 GRILL ON COVER

TRY GOOGLE "CLASSIC MOTORBOOKS" OR AMAZON..IT IS NOT WRITTEN BY HOBBYIST, NO "DATED" CUTE STUF...LOTS OF

LINCOLNS, BIG AND SMALL..VERY FEW TRAINS...

post-42764-143137964028_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
Guest zazothex

Just curious about what about the Ocee book is defunct and/or incorrect? I just got a copy on Amazon ($2!) and I'm hoping that the tech specs and the like are still correct. It seems divided into two sections: history and tech. I'm especially wondering about the few articles on some performance upgrades like aluminum pistons, which won't kill the appearance but give me a bit more under the hood.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zazothex

I've done some research on some of the mods OCee recommends, and I'm wondering if someone could help me on a few of his listings: About half of his suggested part numbers have the standard ford flathead (~49-51) prefix of 8BA. These I can find anywhere. However, some of the other parts have an "OIT or OITS" prefix and I can't find anything on them. Does anyone know what source these were? or If there are a modern equivalent exists for this prefix? The pistons and rings (alum) have this prefix. I'm not too keen on boring out the cylinders like OCee suggests to fit the L8 pistions (3 1/16"). But I don't see why I couldn't use the valves with new v12 alum pistons. Suggestions?

Guest zazothex

it's sitting in my driveway. Now to start....somewhere. I'm focusing right now on getting the engine running. Has been in a barn for 15 years. It turns by hand, so now: oil change, radiator flush, new battery. I'm hoping the starter will pull, letting me check compression. then I'll know if I even need to tear it down.