Lost the Cruise and Overdrive SES ON

Guest steveskyhawk

Guest steveskyhawk

Hi Guys,

Took my 91 to work today with everything working perfect. Nothing to do at work so we decided to do a MAJOR pressure clean under the hood. It looks beautiful, started easily, ran smooth but the SES is now on most of the time. Cruise control is in-op and the trans doesn't lock up. Shifts fine but no overdrive. 35000 RPM @ 70 MPH

We got this thing REALLY wet. Haven't checked for codes yet. My guess is the throttle position sensor. How about your guess! I'll post the cure after it is fixed. Lets have some fun.

Guest DAVESWF

Been wanting to do this to mine, but was concerned about having problems like you did. Been thinking I would need to do it 'by hand' , keeping the hi-pressure water away from the engine compartment.

Interested in hearing any suggestions on how to avoid the problems like this when using hi-pressure water ?

I'm not sure about the '91 model but on other models things that come to mind that could keep the cruise control and torque converter from operating correctly would be:

1. Signal to the computer that the brake pedal is depressed. (Cruise will not engage nor will the converter lock with your foot on the brake.)

2. Temperature has not reached over ~146° (Converter will not lock until the engine has warmed up.)

3. Bad connection(s) where wiring harness plugs into the transmission. (May be more extensive on '91 with electronic controls.)

Aluminum foil, wrapped around electrical components/sensors and connections and then squeezed to get a tight fit, will help avoid problems. After washing it will help if you blow everything off with compressed air or a leaf blower before removing the aluminum foil and starting the engine.

Guest steveskyhawk

I forgot to add that on the way home after the cleaning (48 miles) the throttle seemed to be stuck on real high idle. Car would go about 30 mph without any pedel pressure. This lasted about 30 seconds.

If the truth is that somthing simply got wet and it dries out will the problem go away and the SES go out? The trans did lock up from time to time and the SES would go out simultaneously. I'll try it today and check for codes.

Go Chargers!

Guest steveskyhawk

OK guys,

Today I took apart all the sensor connectors and dried them out. The one on the cruise servo was filled with water. Found a cracked vacuum hose and taped it up. Disconnected the battery to erase codes. SES is now out. Cruise is working and trans locks up as it is supposed to. Wont idle now. Idle is about 2500 in neutral and 1500 in gear. No SES! Now what?

Guest Dan Cook

I don't know how this works on Reattas, I haven't tried it, but I was told long ago that if you are going to wash your engine do it with it running. It has worked fine with other cars I have owned with no problems.

Keeping the water away from the fan is a no brainer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steveskyhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK guys,

Today I took apart all the sensor connectors and dried them out. The one on the cruise servo was filled with water. Found a cracked vacuum hose and taped it up. Disconnected the battery to erase codes. SES is now out. Cruise is working and trans locks up as it is supposed to. Wont idle now. Idle is about 2500 in neutral and 1500 in gear. No SES! Now what? </div></div>Check the connection to the IAC (Idle Air Control). If you had an 88 model I could tell you how to test the IAC using the diagnostic screen. By overriding it you can adjust it in and out which should make the idle speed change. I don't know how to do it on your 91 model. I'm sure someone here will tell you how.

Guest steveskyhawk

Replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor) today. It was full of water. BINGO it is fixed. My first guess was my best guess. Also changed out some questionable vacuum lines as everbody suggested. Thanks for everyone's input.