Is it worth it to make "What is it worth?" a new forum section?

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Peter, Do we need a new section for people looking for price quotes? We seem to be getting a large quanity of people looking for prices. Could you set up some links? confused.gif" border="0

When questions about what kind of gasoline and gasoline additives to use pop up in the buy/sell forum, it makes you wonder if special forums for different topics are worth it.<P> frown.gif" border="0 I'll bet that the "whats it worth" question would still be posted in the general forum.<P> smile.gif" border="0 Assuming that it was not posted in the BBS Technical Q&A forum.

To tell the truth - I don't think that the DF ought to encourage car value questions because there is ample information available in print. It is really impossible to estimate the value of a car from a description or even a web photo. The DF should direct people to the available value books or appraisal services and if they choose not to buy or use them, that's their problem.

Why not make a real private section for only a select few. That way you don't have to be bothered with stupid questions about cars, parts, values or other related automotive interests. Anyone that knows "everything" about cars, and don't want to share any info can join this elite group. grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0 <BR> I Myself like to read all the questions and answers,"right or wrong", no matter how unimportant they might be to me.

I think "What's It Worth" would just open a can of worms. What something is worth, be it a complete car or just a hood ornament, eventually comes down to "What's it worth to you?" confused.gif" border="0 <P>If you are a true hobbyist, buyer or seller, you'll probably ask yourself "What's a FAIR Price for this?". wink.gif" border="0 If you're one of the bottom feeders preying on the old car hobby, you'll probably ask yourself "What is the maximum I can sell this for?" or maybe "If I bought this for $100, don't I have to sell it for $200?"! frown.gif" border="0 <P>Value is too subjective to come up with an absolute amount. I think, if such a category were created, the range of dollar amounts and opinions expressed might be more confusing to the person asking the question.<P>At the same time, it might make for interesting reading for the rest of us! grin.gif" border="0

Guest BruceW

I agree that a special section on "What's it Worth" is not worth it. <P>For one thing, placing a value on a vehicle sight unseen.. or even with a few photographs is often impossible not knowing the full condition of the vehicle. Also, factors such as the economy and the going market for antique cars have an influence.<P>Mr. Hoover... I assume you are kidding. grin.gif" border="0 <BR>Isolating the club members from the public is a sure way to confirm old rumors that the AACA are a bunch of snobs and surely the worst kind of public relations for any organization were attracting members is its life line.

Mr. Wheeler,<P>No worries. I wasn't trying to exclude the world from the AACA with that statement. I just don't feel there is need to have a seperate section for everything that comes across this forum. In time, I feel we would had forgotten that it was the AACA's site. That's all.<P> As far as those rumors you mention, of the AACA being a bunch of snobs, I guess I never really quite understood that to well. Anyone who has ever read this AACA forum alone, can not go away without seeing that the AACA members that frequent this forum go out of their way to help and assist all that come on here asking for help. I never seen it once where a member asked if the party with the question if he or she was a AACA member before he would answer. Snobs? Bruce, I wouldn't worry to much about those people that are calling us snobs. I think it's pretty clear what the AACA is about. <P>Rick

I consider the DF has evolved to a nicely balanced and adequate format. As long as we are an open forum, the DF will be found by people with "what's it worth questions". More often than not, these individuals are not familiar with the complexities mentioned in the other replies and are innocently asking "what my Grandpa's 1928 Widget is worth since I just inherited it and don't know what to do". Then there is one other problem not mentioned above - with a separate section devoted to pricing, there would be some implied liability and I don't think we want to go there.

I've gotten the "what's my (insert Volkswagen model of choice) worth?" question so many times at the Common Gear site that I got tired of answering it and put together a page with my standard response: <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/foxcraft/AntiqueVWWorth.html" TARGET=_blank>http://members.aol.com/foxcraft/AntiqueVWWorth.html</A> <P>Basically, I feel that attempting to engage in "long distance vehicle estimation" is a minefield, and may unintentionally end up with either the buyer or the seller (or possibly even both) getting "screwed." <BR>Additinally, as far as I'm concerned, I'm a hobbyist, I'm not getting paid to put my reputation on the line by offering value judgements; that's better action for the published "value guides" and professional apprasiers...

A "whats it worth" forum would just incourage people to ask. I think we can all agree it's impossible to judge the value of a vehicle when someone asks:<P>"Hey... i have a 19xx Whatsit, what's it worth?"

I changed the header (relative to this discussion) at the top of the buy/sell forum. any comments?<P>Peter<p>[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: peterg ]

peterg -<BR>It looks great! Pretty much what I thought the DF ought to do. Maybe this will reduce the number of "what's it worth" questions.<BR> grin.gif" border="0

Is this an official endorsement of the Krause Old Cars Price Guide by the AACA?<P>Perhaps an inclusion of links to other price guides and a disclaimer that the AACA, as an organization, is not in the business of appraising cars would be a good idea.<P>I see that Steve Mierz has links to Kelly Blue Book and NADA as will as a link to Hemmings all with appropriate disclaimers.<P>I think he has set a good example there that we should consider.

Peter G,<P> Your latest change looks like it should satisfy most of the people most of the time. Those links reflect the answer frequently given to most of the inquiries. I've never had the interest to follow any of those sites further than the home page so I don't have the foggiest if they're any good. The only flak target I noticed was the spelling of "endorse", in the disclaimer. Big Deal!<BR> Tom

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

To all, That's why I love this forum! Seek knowledge and you shall find. I am glad I got you all thinking a little deeper, and Peter's changes should help. SalG grin.gif" border="0

Guest BruceW

I think the addition of the links in the Buy/Sell on the value question should be very helpful, probably more helpful than any posts made here with a vehicle sight unseen. <BR>I also like the "more emphasized" message about complete messages on cars for sale. Seems that no matter if you tell people to list ALL the information there are alays those that do a hit and run post with year and make only. Maybe now they will get the hint grin.gif" border="0

Peter,<P>Yes, I have been following this thread. I agree, car values should be left up to those in that type of business.<P>I like the changes you made with the links added and the statement that these sites are in no way affiliated or endorsed by AACA.<P>This thread has proven to be very effective.<P>JR

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

To all, What Peter did will go a long way toward cutting down on the "what is it worth?" questions. SalG tongue.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Even if we still get the "What is it worth" questions, we now have a good place to refer them to.<P> smile.gif" border="0