Is it eligible?

Guest Johnpaul Ragusa

Guest Johnpaul Ragusa

Hey everybody,

Im posting in a few spots to try and get a quick answer, sorry.

I have my Buick on Ebay and I have a potential bidder asking about CCCA eligibility. He says no and I says yes. Can someone confirm who is right? For those who havent see it, its a 1940 Buick 81C. Its a Limited Phaeton Trunkbank COnvertible. According to the CCCA website any limited counts but he says it really applies to the 90 series.

Can someone let me know? I dont have a link handy but if you go to Ebay just type 1940 Buick Limited and search. It should only return one result.

Thanks!

This is an example of what occasionally seems very odd to me about the CCCA's classic list. If this Buick convertible sedan had been a Series 70 Roadmaster which uses the same body and engine as the Series 80 Limited and is just as nicely trimmed, it would <span style="font-style: italic">not </span> be considered a "classic". The same thing applies to 1941 Cadillacs. A series 63 is a CCCA classic, but the nearly identical 61D is not.

Guest bkazmer

there can never be a perfect answer for the "low end" cut-off. When you consider the 1940's Buick, Cadillac, Packard,and Lincoln lines, there is not a real clean break. When do the post war cars no longer sufficiently resemble the prewar cars? I'm glad there is a standard and cut-off, imperfect as it inherently must be. Besides, it gives us a good old car topic to jaw about.

To be blunt, part of it depends on who applies for which series and when they do it. I was on the committee when we passed the 1940 Buick 80 series Limited, and a majority of us felt that it should be a classic, including myself. It depends on the make up of the committee, which is mostly made up of national board members, but not totally, and since board members are elected and limited usually to three three year terms, you will see changes. Just now there are people on the committee who don't feel that 80 Series Buicks should be accepted. However, there are people who like European cars on the committee and there have been some very small displacement cars passed recently which I am very sure wouldn't have even been talked about twenty five years ago.