Coupe/Conv quarters?

55chevy

I am getting a convertible that needs quarters, as well as a coupe parts car. Car-parts.com shows rear quarters are different on them. Anyone know what the difference is? I'm thinking it is just at the top of them where the top folds down, seems like they took coupes and converted them into ragtops.

Guest crtnrds

Yes, I'd say they are different. I never measured mine but the coupe is a good foot longer than the ragtop; the difference, I believe is in that the ragtop doesn't have space behind the seats as the coupe does.

The coupe and convertible rear panels are not even close to being alike. The convertible has the storage compartments in the panels since there is no rear floor. Once you get the convertible it will be obvious.

Guest alex_houston

I agree there are differences. But all the measurements I get are the same. The skin will work but is a real challenge to get off the doner car. Then you have to save the stowage panel edges off the old fenders. Hopefully those aren't bent.

You will have to do a seam at the upper edge of the fenders outside the stowage panel but with the right tools, it is doable. The job is not for the faint of heart or patience.

I have replaced rear quarters on Caddies, Fords, etc but these Reattas do not excite me to want to do one any time soon due to panels being welded to inner supports all over the place (unibody).

Good luck.

I read the question wrong. I thought the question was the interior panels.

Depending on what part of the panel you need, a coupe part will work in most cases, however when you get to the top of the panel behing the door, that is different on a convertible.

I believe the curvature of the convertible boot filler is the same as a coupe without the window, but there is a lip inside and below the opening for a seal that the coupe would not have.

Guest imported_tempest6cyl

The convertible quarter panels were made from the coupe dies stamped on site there at the Craft Centre. The original coupe dies were inserted so that either panel could be made. The cutline or margin line of the quarter that mates to the tonneau is just outside the breakline where the B-pillar joins the lower part of the quarter (except where the horn of the quarter wraps in front of the tonneau just behind the front door) and then continues to mate with the common decklid.