abs pump/motor

Richard S

There is one bolt holding the pump/motor to the brake unit. Pump the pedal at least 25 times and maybe 40 if your accumulator is weak. You will need to remove the hose from the rear of the pump that goes up to the bottom of the reservoir.

DO NOT TRY AND TWIST AND PULL IT OFF

as you will probably break the plastic elbow on the back of the pump. At the pump end of the hose cut the hose off about one inch from the end and then plug the hose as fluid will want to leak out. Then remove the steel line, or hose on the '88s, on top of the pump and then take the bolt out and the pump/motor, accumulator and pressure switch will be in your hand. You can then slice lengthwise the remaining piece of hose on the elbow and throw it away. There is plenty of length on the hose to do this several times.

I do have good working ABS pumps if someone needs one and can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

I have never heard of or seen a rebuild kit for the Teves system, and I doubt that the brake rebuilders, such as Prior Remanufacturing, will divulge where they get the seals, etc. Never having been inside the these units, I have no idea what is involved. Has anyone taken on of these units apart?

Attached is a picture from the Teves training manual.

The master cylinder and boost section is not your ordinary master cylinder. Notice the toggle at the upper right and the extra sliding valves. I have never seen a photo that shows the actual parts or an exploded view of the assembly. In addition, if there are any adjustments, I don't know where you would find that information.

post-30596-143137963116_thumb.jpg

If anyone has an old Teves unit that you are willing to donate, I would like to have it to take apart to see if I could learn how to rebuild it.

I have a friend who owns an auto parts store. He said he is willing to try to match up the seals needed to rebuild the master cylinder but he needs me to take one apart to see what is needed.

If I could learn how to rebuild the master cylinder, I believe I could save us all some money by doing it at a lower cost.

Ronnie, I'd love to contribute what appears to be my dead one, but if I elect to get a rebuilt [ouch!], I would have to send a core. The only source, I would think, of dead cores not slated for rebuild would be Jim or Randy or someone with a parts car. If they have a useless one they would part with cheaply, perhaps a group of us could contribute a few bucks each for this project. Only Jim or Randy would know if this is a feasible exploration.

Maybe someone will make one available. I don't believe the parts will be super expensive if they can be found. I have also found a large hydraulic supply company that said they are willing to try matching the parts. They said they do stock metric size seals, and cups for the pistons.

Barney: Thanks for supplying the photo. It helped me see how the Teves works in general. Sure would be nice to have one of those Teves training manuals. Are more available? Could yours be easily copied?