Engine ID assistance needed

Greetings to all!

When I got my '38 barnfind, I bought an extra engine from the owner in various boxes. It was complete, with 2 extra heads, intakes and a couple of other extra parts.

I am trying to figure out what year it is. One odd thing is is that the block and all the bolt ons are painted red, not green. There are no traces of green paint underneath, not even on pump housings, fan etc. The heads are not red and not alumuminum.

The number on the bellhousing is L28522

B2.

Can anyone help me identify this engine. The piston measured 2 15/16......I think, I need to invest in some better calipers/micrometers.

What would this pile of parts be worth not knowing what condition they are in other than them appearing not too bad??

Any help advise would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Phil

PS I would like to buy an engine, (doesnt have to be a '38) and or '38 parts car. Any leads appreciated!

LOOK FOR NUMERS 86H.....O6H.......26H.....ETC..TO START ...LOOK FOR BULGES ON LOWER BLOCK..POSTWARS HAVE LARGER COOLANT BULGE, FREEZE PLUG PASSAGE.

LOOK AT CRANK. EACH JOURNAL FOR ROD, IS THE A ROUND INDENTED "PLUG" OR ARE NOT. PREWAR HAS THESE SLUDGE TRAPS WITH WELCH PLUGS.

LOOK AT PISTONS FOR A-2 B-3 ETC...

THESE ENGINES WERE ALMOST ALWAYS REPLACED SOMETIME IN CARS NORMAL LIFE.

LOOK IN LIFTER GALLEY. IS IT A HYDRAULIC LIFTER ENGINE, ...LOOK AT LITTLE PLUG BACK OF ENGINE NEAR FUEL PUMP ROD, TAKE OFF CAP..IT IS FEED FOR LIFTERS (IF HYDRAULIC) AND WILL HAVE A LITLE BRASS THING IN THE CENTER.

HARD TO TELL ENGINE BLOCKS APART. ( I DONT THINK MANY "JUDGES" CAN TELL" TAKE BLOCK TO MACHINE SHOP , BOIL AND FLUX FOR CRACKS. TILL THEN IT IS JUST ANOTHER BOAT ANCHOR. THESE MOTORS ARE COMMON. GOOD NON CRACKED CORES

ARE MORE DIFFICULT TO FIND.

JB

Guest imported_V12Bill

The "56H" casting means the 6H is the V 12 series of 36 to 48. The 5 is for 1945. Other casting numbers appear to be known only by those in the foundry when the block was cast. This seems to be true of several casting numbers in Ford blocks.

A possible explanation Jeff, is that some states used to require the VIN # stamped on the engine, on Fords and probally Lincolns on the left front side of the intake manifold deck, and the 56H would apply to a postwar engine, as Bill said, no one yet has ever been able to make any sense of those casting numbers on the bell housing, maybe a clever fellow like you can prove all us old fogeys wrong, and come up with a clear analysis, good luck

OH COME NOW ...BE NICE

I JUST ASKED WHERE HE GOT 56H FROM THE POST ABOUT NUMBERS...

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN CURIOUS AS TO ID ON THESE ENGINES..THE OBVIOUS 36 EARLY BLOCK...THEN, EITHER HYDRAULIC OR NOT..OR FREEZE PLUG SIZE....WE ALL KNOW CYLINDER WERE BORED SLEEVED AND WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE..

THIS IS THE ERA OF "MATCHING NUMBERS" I DARE SAY RESTORATIONS OF 50'S / 60'S /70'S (GOD FORBID) CARS HAVE

PUSHED DETAILED RESTORATIONS TO NEW HIGHS FOR DETAILS..MARKINGS ..TAGS..FACT BLEMISHES ETC...STUF THAT SEEMS TRIVIAL TO MOST OLD SCHOOL DUDES. I GUESS IT IS GOOD AS WE LIKE AUTHENTIC JOBS. BUT ALSO IS ANNOYING TO SEE CARS "BETTER" THAN NEW..BUT CAUSE I AM ENVIOUS, MY JOY IS STILL PRESSING THE BUTTON AND FLYING DOWN THE ROAD ON ALL 12 ....

SO.........DO PREWAR BLOCKS HAVE 6H DESIGNATIONS FOR ALL YEARS??

Guest imported_V12Bill

Jeff, The ONLY casting number that is meaningful is the 56H number that appeared on postwar blocks. All other years had a mishmash of numbers and letters that no one today knows the meaning.

I had hoped that the serial number might provide a better idea what year the engine was. This engine does have the larger bulge on the side of the block. I havent been able to go over to look for the 56h desigantion. Where is it typically located? I guess it doesnt matter though as the bulge on the side is the giveaway. My next step is to take the major parts to a machine shop and have them evaluated. I will probably call Alan Whelihan first as he is only about 90 minutes away. Any other Annapolis Maryland area recommendations?

I appreciate all the help from the forum, I am trying to learn as much as I can!

PS I know people can paint an engine any color they wish to, but I cant find any traces of green paint. It doesnt seem like someone would go to all the trouble to strip every scrap of paint off of a water pump, some fifty years ago, plus or minus. I thought I read somewhere that some trucks used these engines. Any truth there??

I spent over $3000 of my hard earned lawn mowing money with wheelieman back in the early eighties..and was a heartbreak.

i reccomend u find a quality machine shop that works on flatheads in your locality. Tell'em its like a flatheat ford v-8...no substitute for basic good machine work.

call former club pres..Earle O'Brown for parts..

just my .02

Phil,

That's correct a few trucking companies back n the forties

replaced the V-8 flatheads with V-12's in their tractor trailer truck's heading to the west coast and back, as a matter of fact one of those company's was located in Maryland.

Although I did see a 53 Snub Nose towing a Travel Trailer

a year ago who was from NJ.The V-12 looked good in the truck

with very little modifications, The big problem is fnding one of those trucks.

Zman