dead dash display

I have just purchased a 1990 cope that I am crazy about. Only problem is every time I drive it, the dash goes out for a period of time and I get an "error" display and an "electrical problem" idiot light display. I have noticed that this seems to occur when I step on the brakes and almost anything will make it come back on after a period of time. I suspect a bad ground somewhere but don't have a clue where to start. I'd appreciate any advice.

Sounds like a prime candidate for reseating the contacts.<BR>Pull the bezel around the cluster by removing 4 screws. one in each a/c vent and two under the overhang above the instruments. Using somekind of tool to get behind the plastic and pull.<P>With the bezel removed, take out the screws that hold the instrument cluster in place, I think there are 4.<P>Pull the instrument cluster out. clean the contacts with contact cleaner and wipe off the excess. You might check the mating connector for excessive front to back slop.<P>Reinstall the cluster, install the screws and drive it for a few days to see if that cured the problem.<P>I am thinking that when you applied the brakes, that was just enough pressure to flex the pedal mount, which comes to the dash and inturrupt the electrical contact.<P>Worse case, you now know how to remove the cluster so you can send it in for repair.