Would Not Keep Running

Guest imported_JohnW

Guest imported_JohnW

No previous problems with my 90. Came out of the store and engine kept dying with little throttle response. Waited a couple of min and started and ran fine the way home.

Waited 10 min and tried to start again. Engine fires but dies shortly after. After numerous attempts, engine started and seems to run OK. Could the fuel be draining back into the tank after shutting down?

Guest Motu 56

It could be the IAC. Remove it and clean the tip with carb cleaner and swab the space where in inserts into the manifold.

Be careful removing the screws. Place a rag under the part when removing the screws.

Guest imported_JohnW

What does IAC stand for and where is it located. I tried to search for IAC but nothing comes up.

Thank You

John

IAC? souns like he is talking about the O2 sensor.

I would start by checking fuel pressure at startup. If there is pressure, I would check for spark when the engine does not want to start. I have had the same issue on a couple diffrent GM cars with our ignition system and everytime it has been a bad coil pack or ingnition control modual (ICM). If it is the ICM, it would be a great time for the Padgett ICM upgrade

I don't think the IAC is his problem with not "running" as JownW first reported. I posted the IAC photo as reference for anyone not familiar with it.

Running above idle is not controlled by the IAC and holding your foot on the throttle should keep the car running even when the IAC is bad.

I agree on the problem being fuel or spark related.

Guest imported_JohnW

Waiting for my friend to show up with fuel pressure guage tonight. Car ran fine yesterday after 15 min of babying it. Car is garage kept and this morning ran like cra$#@&. Throttle was responsive but no tach indication and "Service Engine Soon" light flashing. I could keep the engine running by feathering gas pedal. Smells like unburned fuel and running real rough. Dies after releasing gas pedal. Will service codes show up now that the "Service Engine Soon" light was flashing?

jumper pin AB on the connection below the steering wheel (someone tell me if the location is wrong). Then turn the car to run. The service engine light will flash (1 time, 2 times = 12) this means you are indiagnostic mode. It will flash twelve 3 times then it will flash any codes that are stored in the memory. I would pull your batery cable befor checking for codes. This is so you do not read codes that ar no longer active. Then start the car and wait for the SES light to come back on. This will store what ever code you are currently getting.

With your car throwing a code I am putting my money on the EGR valve. If you need one I have one, I had to replace shortly before I did the supercharger swap.

I do not have a '90/91 [i have an '89] but from what I remember pulling codes thru the dash work like this. Turn heater off. Then press off and warm until display changes. Then codes will start to come up. Write them down and report back.

Guest imported_JohnW

OK now I think i have a gremlin in my car. Ran the diagnostics and the following:

No EC Codes

B119H

B334H

B411H

B448H

B482H

B552H

B061H

EC?

Hit off button and engine ran smooth. Just went into the garage and started car again. Ran smooth. Maybe I should disconnect and reconnect battery. Anyone had this problem?

Guest mongeonman

Clear all these codes and then take a ride and see if they come back,maybe they have been there before the problem.

Guest imported_JohnW

I searched and could not find a complete listing of error codes and related causes. Is a complete list readily and easily available?

JohnW,,,,

Below is a reply I posted to you on my code question thread earlier today:

JohnW - I found most...or a great many codes in the first pages of section 8 in the FSM. If you don't have a FSM you can go to the on line version at http://www.reatt.net. you will see an index on the left...you can key on diagnostics or go to the the on line FSM by keying documentation (you will have to request a pass word)

(Sometimes it takes a few days to get a password)

HELP PLEASE

JohnW found some of the/my B codes for me, but is apparently having trouble finding a list of his B codes.

(Also, I am not sure of the seriousness of my B codes...can someone advise please)

I also have the R codes that no one can find.

Can someone please help the two of us with our mystery codes please?

*and when (please advise "Where" they are found as well please) found please advise what to do with them (especially if they are serious codes)....

Thanks much,

Nic

Oh Meeee cry.gif . Tried to open the 1988 file and it just sat there and stared at me intensly.....wouldn't ever shudder or blink. I tried to go to another link and an Adobe Reader box opened stating "File damaged and could not be repaired". JohnW...did you try and what did you get please?

frown.gif

Guest alex_houston

B119H twilight photo cell

B334H loss of ecm data

B411H battery voltage high or low

B448H low refrigerant

B482H anti lock brake pressure problem

B552H bcm memory keep alive problem

B061H (cannot find anywhere or any year)

EC? I am thinking the screen was asking you if you want to check the ecm codes?

What year do you have again? I found the first few of these in the '91 manual but the later ones in the '88 new product manual