I need some help on an Olds Cutlass

Creep68

Guest 76Supreme455

Is the Cutlass a 1973,74,75,76,or 77 by chance? If it is, then most likely, it is a special edition Cutlass S coupe. During the late 70's usually during the Spring, Olds dealers sold special edition Cutlass S coupes. They usually had the large rear quarter windows filled in to look like the smaller opera window that was standard on the Cutlass Supreme, usually with some type of stainless steel band across the top and the leading edge of the vinyl top. They usually also had chrome sport mirrors instead of painted ones and if equipped with Super Stock wheels, they usually had silver centers rather than body color centers. They usually had strange decals or names such as UFO, or GMO, or Pleaser, Carolina Cutlass, or around here in Tennessee they were called Tenn/SE editions. Basically this was just a trim package and most did not weather the years very well, due to the rust that formed around the vinyl tops.

Sorry for not giving details. The car is orange with black top and where the Landau top would be is brushed Aluminum, has a 350 with auto shift on the floor and rally wheels, the year of the car is a 1980, anything more you might know could be really helpful, so the car is just an up grade package that was probably done at the selling dealer?

No. It was factory option Y76- dealer marketing group car. As Alan said, it was a sales zone promotion with specific trim and was available on into the 80s, though the 70s versions seem to be more common.

I'm thinking UFO were in the Chicago area, but each sales zone called it something different and there were a ton of them.

The factory installed the basic package, but a lot of the sales zones pimped them out with extra trinkety trim. The brushed Landau band and chrome mirrors are factory installed though.

Guest 76Supreme455

Sorry to say, there is not much collector interest in the late 70's and early 80's cars, yet! Yes, some do collect them or better yet, still have one since new. I would say the value is no different than for any other Cutlass of the same age, condition, etc. Now, I am confused a bit. You say its a 1980 and it has a 350. Those cars did not come with a 350 unles it was a 79 Hurst/Olds or 80 442. They stopped offering the 350 in a Cutlass in 1977. Can you post any pictures......you have me wondering what you have???

This car and some photos can been seen on my web site at <span style="font-weight: bold">www.3wayauto.com </span>I'M pretty sure its a 350 rocket and maybe a transplant from a 4.3 V6 to a 5.7 V8. It has rebuilt tranny, fresh motor, new brake booster, factory A/C, bucket seats with floor shfit, new radiator, new exhaust and so on. But its sure is a cool car and was just trying to find out a little more about it. Thanks for any help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creep68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This car and some photos can been seen on my web site at <span style="font-weight: bold">www.3wayauto.com </span>I'M pretty sure its a 350 rocket and maybe a transplant from a 4.3 V6 to a 5.7 V8...</div></div>

No "maybe" about it. The VIN indicates that the original engine was the 4.3 liter (260 cu inch) V8 (not V6). The 260 is an Olds motor with commonality to the 350 but also a lot of unique items like heads and intake that do not swap easily. The complete 350 does swap in place of the 260 quite easily, however.