Sign in to follow this  
Guest BJM

What is Your Wife's Involvement in your Old Car Hobby?

Guest BJM

My wife just told me that she would like to know what your wife's involvement is in your old car hobby. In other words, does she do nothing and stay out of the garage/shows/functions? Or is she a partner in the restorations, show preparations, parts hunting? If she is involved, what is her role?

My wife says she has little interest in assisting in the restorations. Old cars are my hobby, not hers. I do believe however, she would attend shows with me if we had a completed show quality car.

On two visits to the Buick Club of America's National meets and one regional meet she attended for the events but did not take an active interest in the car show. We attended supporting functions of the show.

Luckily, I married a gear-head. She's had 30-weight flowing through her veins since we met, almost 40 years ago.

While she does not participate in the mechanical aspect of the hobby, she sure likes the interpersonal aspect.

Now that she has her own show car and has judged in several events she's even more in favor of the hobby.

I'd suggest that you get her involved in the organizing of events. That's where my wife really shines. Yours might find it most enjoyable.

IMO, women are a large part of the future of the hobby. I've seen it turning that way for several years. You go, girls!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Wolk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

IMO, women are a large part of the future of the hobby. I've seen it turning that way for several years. You go, girls!!!!! </div></div>

Not in my lifetime!

My wife could care less about my old cars. Sure, she came to a few shows, but showed absolutly no interest.

Sometimes I prefer it that way. At least she lets me do my thing, that's more than I can say for most wives.

My wife Di has been very involved in "our" old car hobby as long as we have been married (22 years this past December). Shes loves all old cars, from the very early brass era cars to 60s muscle. She attends all regional and National events with me unless something prevents her from doing so. She hopes to one day own either a 1930/31 Ford coupe or 1957 Chevrolet that she can call her very own.

On a region level, Di has served as the region photographer, activities director, executive board member, and on many committees over the years. She is always working on ideas for one region activity or another. Luckily, in our AACA region, most of the wives are as active as the men in attedning meetings and activities So Di has many friends there.

In the past, she received our region's Harold Clemens Award, which is awarded for the person the club believes did the most to benefit the region over the past year. In the 17 years we have belonged to AACA and Harford Region, Di and I have planned or co-planned 15 two or three day antique car tours together. These tours would not have been nearly as successful without her ideas, enthusiasm, and hard work.

Di has assisted me each month for the past 7 years that I have been editor of our region newsletter, doing the proofreading, printing, and distribution.

Di and I were invited to participate on the planning committee under Douglas Drake when the initial planning for the AACA Youth program was being done and she was very excited to be a part of it. When the need arose, she also did things, such as greet the youth and oversee the youth pizza party at past Annual Meetings. During the time I have been a Director of the AACA Library & Research Center, she has always been quick to volunteer to work the AACA L&RC table at events such as the Annual Meeting when the L&RC Directors had to be somewhere else.

Di loves to drive our 1931 Ford Deluxe Tudor and often does, especially if I am away and cannot make a region event, she will go herself or with our daughters in the Ford. One of her prized possesions is her "This Lady Drives a Model A Ford" patch on her club jacket. When the engine in the Ford had to be removed for repair, Di even asked to help, and under my instruction, she completed all of the procedures needed to pull the engine from the car. She also looks forward to helping me restore a 1935 Ford pickup.

Another aspect of her old car hobby is collecting original vintage clothing and accessories from the early 1930s and 1920s. She has worn her outfits to many old car events and weddings that we have done with the Ford.

Di has meet many friends through the AACA and other old car hobbies. Her favorite events include attending the AACA Annual Meeting, Das Awkcsht Fescht, and also regional and AACA tours.

post-30691-143137962035_thumb.jpg

post-30691-143137962037_thumb.jpg

post-30691-143137962039_thumb.jpg

post-30691-143137962041_thumb.jpg

25 years ago we met at a car show and it has not stopped since! Linda grew up around old cars, enjoys the hobby as much as I do and does a lot of work with me in the hobby.

She does not do restoration work but we tour as much as we can and love it. We have planned many events for local clubs over the years (weekenders, day trips, shows, etc.) as well as planned and hosted a few national week long tours. In many cases we are the entire tour comittee and I could not do it without her help. And I do not mean just moral support- she does banquet plans, registrar, finances, etc.

I am very lucky we enjoy the hobby together, it is a big part of our life now and going it alone wouldn't be half as much fun. (Although I do enjoy Hershey alone for a few days!!) :-))

My wife Caroline doesn't turn wrenchs or spray paint but will willingly assist me when ever I need a helping hand, including hours of wet sanding. She goes to all the shows with me and is lot better at detailing/cleaning than I am. She WILL NOT attend the "banquets" because of the overlong speechs. She likes the flea markets. When we go to shows where we stay over I always go a day or two early so I can spend a day doing non car things with her. She never ever complains or even mentions the stupid amounts of time and money I spend on the "hobby". I'd say she's a "keeper".............Bob

I created a monster,but I wouldnt have it any outher way.My wife has her own car I built for her and she shows it at allmost every show near us. She has 12 aaca awards and helped to earn every one. She has searched for parts at Hershey, Carlissle and lots of salvage yards in between. In the last three years she has donated allmost a hundred local throphys she has won to kids groups to be used as prizes for the kids.I also think the hobby would do well to recrute more ladies.If you look at your moose club, vfw, legion and outhers,you will find the girls keeping lots of them alive. Just my two cents

Since hubby's over visiting his mom whose under the weather, I figure I can fill in for him. I'm newsletter editor for our region for the past 7 years (in our club, my hubby is known as 'Mr. Dawn' due to this), am designated 50/50 sales person (past pres says I'm the only person he's seen get blood out of a turnip), do most of the newsletter for our Mopar club we belong to along with it's website, have been known to turn a wrench, and at one all Mopar show we went to I took home the $300 grand prize in the trivia contest after I nuked the 6 guys who were up against me wink.gif . When we owned our '67 Chevy C10 truck, I was designated oil changer as I thought it was kinda fun. I have my own two 'antiques' that I take to shows. Don't win much with them but really don't care if I do. I like the nuts & bolts I get to meet at these shows & have fun talking about our common interest - cars.

My wife has been involved in the car hobby since we have been married (48 + years) She was the secretary of our Buicktown chapter numerous times and did the registration for the early BCA national meets in Flint.

Before I got into "old" cars she went to many of the drag races I participated in around the area.

Bernice still enjoys the BCA meets and also the Buick Driving Enthusiast division of the BCA meets.

I still drag race occasionally, and also have a 37 Buick street rod. She doesn't go to many of these meets, but I don't go to her "Red Hat" functions, so it all works out

My wife has traveled with me to events ever since we met. We have been married for 35 years. She will often take another one of the cars. We share in each other's hobbies in terms of support and attendance.

Gloria and I have been married for 20 years. I can't say what attracted her to me, but racing around in old cars didn't hurt. She has her own hobbies, and up until recently didn't take a very big interest in the antique car hobby. At the turning point was the first National Tour we went on in 2003 with the Bull Run Region(Sentimental Tour). She thoroughly enjoyed touring the country side and seeing new things and meeting new people. Since then, we've been on two more tours from "Sea to Shining Sea"!

Don't expect to see her on a show field, but watch out if something involving driving comes along. wink.gif

Wayne

Interesting reading about everyones situation. To be accurate I went to the source. She said she considers herself "our official photographer and gofer". She loves the events and we always include any museums in the area when we vacation.

Wow! What a great subject. I could go on forever, but to summarize, I wouldn't (and couldn't) participate in the hobby to the degree I do without Pamela. She's involved with all aspects of the hobby: from participating in the decision of whether my latest find makes sense, to helping in the hunt for parts, to listening to my rants, to polishing brass, to being "out front" at shows and navagating on tours in period costume. I've been told many times over the years that I'm one lucky guy, and I couldn't agree more. As proof, just look at these two photos, yes, that's the same car. Am I lucky, or what?

post-48989-143137962049_thumb.jpg

post-48989-143137962087_thumb.jpg

Well, I am not married yet, but, when I do get married, I want to have a wife that likes my old cars and appreciates them. But, 2 examples of women in my family that I have with the old cars are both my grandmas and my mother:

My Dad's mom (87 years old!)- Thought that my 1948 Lincoln was Junk! (she was the reason that my grandpa sold it in 1991 and I bought it back in 2007!) and that my old cars were just Junkers and she complained about having them in her driveway and told me that she wanted the 'junkers' out of there! It was'nt until I showed her the pictures of the cars at the car shows and the crowds of people around them that she finally understood the classic car thing! (gotta love her! LOL!)

My mother's mom always wondered why I spent my money on the cars and what the purpose was and that I should not spend my money on such things! (better than spending my money on what other young people spend it on!)

My mother thinks that if a car does not have a nice paint job it is junk and does not run good.(so, stupid!)

I was the one to get him to get our first car. He had a 1968 Chrysler when we got married 33 years ago and I loved that car. I alway said if we had extra money that is the one I wanted to find. Our old one really fell apart with over 200,000 miles and 2 kids.

Well I do every thing. I get parts, the parts man always ask "What car are you working on now and what did he buy now" I have helped do brakes, not just sitting there, tearing it apart and pressure washing all the parts. I redid the wooden wheels on Humphrey (1927 Hupmobile) I did all the sanding, and staining on him. I do all the cleaning, (hubby never has time) when we go to shows. I love to turn on country music and clean all day.

I don't miss to many meeting, last year never missed one. I also do the newsletter for the club sending out 60 familys, 5 pages back & front every month.

For fun my hubby likes to snowmobile ride and I don't so that's his get away, LOL In the summer we like going together to swapmeets, shows and just driving.

Deby

Glad to hear that so many have wives that are involved

with the hobby even if they won't do the tranny changes.

Mine loves the National & Local Tours, hates parking lot shows and banquets, but will go if I ask. I'm lucky!

Our club ladies started a "Red Hatter's " group called the "Classie Lassies" and they do girl things together

so that when we all do car things, they know each other.

Our club of 165 members is more like family than just

a guy thing, oil & grease, nuts & bolts. We never do judging, but include tours to go out to eat and allow

stops for shopping. (while we kick tires)

Last fall we had 9 couples on the Glidden Tour in PA

and all these Florida ladies knew each other and had

fun.

It wouldn't be as much fun without the ladies! I like

cars and girls equally, so it's a good arrangement.

When I met my wife she belived that cars were for getting from A to B, that was 16 Years ago.....

In the last 5 years she has,

Taken our car interstate (500+ Kms each way) for a rally

Raced the car (Only stopped because she got pregnant, and they said no)

won a couple of speed events

helped run and organise a number of day trips

Attempted to start a younger members group within our local club (im not aaca, but im a foreigner so have an excuse)

Initiated the beginning of the restoration of our 1929.

single handedly rebuilt the gearbox, and did a lot of the mechanical work on the 1929

All this while having and looking after 2 kids, and a semi disabled husband...

Shes a keeper smile.gif

My fiance, Bonnie, is heavily involved in our hobby also. She is helping me with the interior restoration on my 70 Monte SS (that needs to be completed before March!) She is the general detailer especially at the national meets as I am generally busy with judging. She's much better at detailing the car than I am!

I have been trying to get her to judge with me. She has been to at least 4 judging schools with me but she has yet to turn in a card for credit. She knows as much about the judging system and can often point out incorrect items on cars. Her excuse ... she doesn't have an antique show car of her own. I guess that I'll have to break down and sell one of mine to make room for one of "ours!"

Great thread! Gee, where to begin - Susan is as car crazy as I am. She does it all, from helping to organize activities to restoring cars. She was honored last year with the newsletter award from the North American MGB Register and received our region's Restoration award for the 1974 MGBGT that we restored together - she made it work, I made it look pretty. Good team! We'll be in Charlotte this year trying for a senior with it.

Although the doesn't share my passion for collecting automobilia, she does collect MG memorabilia and is happiest driving her MG on winding mountain roads. No, I think she is happiest with grease up to her elbows while working on the car. Seriously, she is a darned good mechanic and has helped more than one fellow enthusiast figure out why Joseph Lucas is called "the Prince of Darkness." You'll see her in Philly helping with the auction, or working in Judges Admin at one of the national meets. When she isn't playing cars, she designs houses so is quite comfortable talking shop with anyone in the construction business.

Gotta cut this short, I've got a roast in the oven and the laundry is almost done!

Terry

The fact that my wife shares this interest makes it even better for me. She has always been interested in antique cars and interesting cars, and enjoys drives and shows mostly, but has a keen understanding of the time and money this hobby takes. Our Olds is really hers, and one more than one occasion she has spotted a part or automobilia that I would have missed. She is really not interested or involved in the mechanics but that is fine, so it works out really well. I am lucky (as many of us are from this thread!) and try to remember that as often as I can!

Am I the only guy that does this alone?? Can this be? C'mon guys, there has to be more than just me.........

My wife is currently VP of our local AACA chapter for a second year, after serving as president for one year.

She has also chaired two antique car tours.

Shouldn't there be a resource in the aaca that finds car crazy men a mate that either is car crazy or at least tolerates their man to have his big toys and not feel guity about it.and no, i'm not posting my name on this post,hehe.

I got involved with old cars because of Bill. We decided to buy a good condition one-owner 1958 Chevy Biscayne Two-door and had a nice paint job put on it since the one it had was faded. The interior was in very good shape so we left it as is. There was one small piece of chrome trim missing. Trust me, I knew all of the names of the dogs at the junk yards from Maine to Key West by the time we found that piece of chrome. And it was bent in half and Bill had to straighten it. He's still in the dog house for selling it. frown.gif

We now have a 1963 1/2 Ford Falcon Sprint convertible that will be our first AACA show car. Well, when he gets it finished it will be.

I have been secretary of our AACA region five times. A board member more years than I can remember. I am a Senior Master level judge with over seventy credits. Bill is headed for 80 credits very soon.

I don't do a lot of work on the cars but I can hold a flashlight with the best of them and I know one tool from another when he needs for me to get one from the tool chest.