Battery disconnect switch

b6vt

I am looking for battery disconnect switch. I have 48 LC and the clearance between the horn on the right side above

the battery is critical. The devices that I have found are too tall to fit. Does any one have a suggestion? (b6vt) Glenn Lorei

Hi Glenn,

This is the battery disconnect switch that's on my 1941 Continental. I know the '48 hood is lower, but this one might work. I got this one at Pep Boys.

The disconnect switch should really be on the ground side of the battery which ought to give you more room. I have relocated the switch since I took this picture. It required a little squeezing of the connector since the positive terminal is a bit smaller than the negative one, but it works.

post-32768-143137961573_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I received my cut off-switch to day. Had to pay alittle more than I wanted, the shipping was as much as the item. It was exactly what I was wanting. None of the auto parts stores around KC stocked this thing.--strange. Thanks for the tip Phil. Also, if Rolf reads this, pls e-mail me re the hupcaps. glenn lorei b6vt

Phil, The disconnect switch I have is exactly like the

item you pictured to me. I went to google and entered battery disconnect and came up with a firm called Eastwood

tools and supplies. When they sent the part they also sent a catalog. They have a door hinge pin remover in this catalog and by the time I get it, with shipping it will be $40.

What is your experience in this department. So far all I have done is lose my patience and ding the paint on the door.!!! Glenn Lorei (b6vt)

I've bought some stuff from Eastwood. They have tools and supplies that are hard to find anywhere else, but Eastwood is pricey! For example, Eastwood sells KROIL penetrating oil for about $50 per gallon. You can buy KROIL directly from the manufacturer, KANO Labs in Nashville, TN (www.kanolabs.com) for about $35. My battery disconnect was on the shelf at Pep Boys for about $20.

As far as hinge pin removal is concerned, I haven't had any first-hand experience in that area. However, a friend of mine got Eastwood's hinge pin removal tool and said that it worked well. I wish it was that easy to remove the hinge pins (bolts) from a '40-48 Zephyr!

Phil, I tried to install the switch on the positive pole of the battery and I broke it. The metal, even though it is brass colored,it is not brass, it is pot metal-very brittle.

I'm sending it back as there is no way it will fit the six volt battery I have. Glenn Lorei b6vt

Very interesting. I relocated my disconnect switch from the negative terminal to the positive terminal with no problem. I did have to squeeze the connector a bit because the positive terminal on my bettery is slightly smaller than the negative one.

While doing the change, I noticed that the battery connections needed attention. A little baking soda and a wire brush seems to have fixed the slow cranking problem I was having. The switch seems to be able to pass enough current to crank the V-12 vigorously now.

post-32768-143137965092_thumb.jpg