Sea Foam??

reattaone

Guest Dan Cook

Heck, my wife wants to paint the house sea foam. I tell her go ahead, sea foam works for me whatever that is. I'm about halfway color blind so she tells me a shade of green. I couldn't tell you if it was stuck on the bottom of my shoe.

Sea foam? Probably would be better used in engines.

Dan

From the descriptions of its use, it sounds like a carbon buster, or something designed to disolve gum or varnish. Those of us with 90s need to be very careful what additives we use, particularly what we add to the crankcase. More than a few 90s have a problem with the casting of the engine block at the cam bearings. My 90 had very good oil pressure and was running well. When it reached about 180k I decided to try some variant of Slick50, those molybdenum additives that are supposed to make surfaces so slippery they last foreever. Well, less than 2k later the engine spit a cam bearing into the pan. It is 20k later and the venerable 3800 is still running, but the oil pressure reads near 0 at idle at pretty low at speed [it is not the sender, the relief valve, filter nor the display]. I use 20/50 and even tried a viscosity additive without success.

Guest F14CRAZY

Sea Foam can be good if you supposedly have some crud in the motor and you add half a can maybe 100 miles before you change oil. You'll notice that it'll be a lot darker

Guest imported_barra

I used Sea Foam in my wife's car to clean the carbon out. I put a vacuum hose in the can until it was half empty and put the rest in the gas tank. It ran better. I used the transmission fluid when my Reatta shuddered while going uphill in cruise control. It stopped the shuddering and I changed the fluid and filter soon after according to advice given by the GM tech that suggested using Sea Foam. I have tried other additives and always come back to advice given that nothing chemical is going to cure something mechanical.

• 3 weeks later...

I have used Sea Foam on all my cars. Here is what I do: I suck 1/3 of it in the vacuum hose. You have to give the car a bit of gas to keep in sucking in and then right away shut it off when it starts to bog. Then I would put another 1/3 right in the oil and the last of it into the gas tank. Make sure to let you car sit about 10 minutes (the longer the more it will work on getting the carbon out of the engine is what I was told.) Start your car up after the "long" 10 minutes, the engine may bog a little to begin, but don't worry it will start. If you look behind you just after you start your car you will see a big cloud of dark exhaust coming out of your car; don't worry, that's the carbon the Sea Foam just cleaned up. Then it is time to take your car for a little cruise; maybe just a couple blocks, and give it plenty of gas. The dark cloud of exhaust will disapate after a bit. Then of course, cruise and enjoy your car! Have a wonderful day!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Richard S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... I decided to try some variant of Slick50, those molybdenum additives that are supposed to make surfaces so slippery they last foreever.... </div></div>

The aviation industry did a study of those molybedenum additives and their claims the two word summary of the studies is "snake oil." ;-)