Screwed for helping someone yet again

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Guest Dans 77 Limited

I lent my neighbor my car. I may argue with people a lot and come off as not very nice at times , but I always try to help a person out if I can. My neighbor lost the exhaust sytem on his Caprice (The LT-1 Im getting for free when he gets a new car) and needed to go to work. I had the Impala and the truck to drive so I gave him the Impala to use. He took it to work and somebody sideswiped it!!!!!!! He says hes gonna make it right and I believe him but dammit do I have to be punished for being nice ?? Couldnt I have just lent him the car and god or fate or whatever you want to call it have just let him drive it to work and bring it home without it getting effed up ??? Is that too much to ask ?The worst part is everytime I try to do someone a favor ... this is how it turns out , with Dan getting screwed in some way or another. This is the second time its been sideswiped , its been hit by a deer ...... yes the deer ran into the car , not the other way around .... it chased the damn car down then turned in front of it. And the mirror I replaced after the last time it got hit was the same color so I didnt have to paint anything, well thats busted all to hell again. Just made an inspection appointment for the car and now with the busted up mirror it wont pass. Im getting tired of having to change a mirror before inspection every year because of inconsiderate non driving a-holes.

Dont think Im going to miss 07 at all. In fact when I try to wave goodbye I get the feeling only one finger is going to wave goodbye to the old year.

Dan

Oh man, what bad news. This is why I refuse to borrow anyone elses car or truck when offered. I'd rather have a rental car and not mess up any friends property.

Hang in there Dan. The silver lining is you didn't lend him the 77..

Sorry Dan, I hope 2008 is better, we all have these years from time to time, but I have to tell you, your post made me laugh as well. That part about the deer running with you then turning into your car. Now that's a deer with a death wish if I ever heard of one!

Sorry to hear the only luck you have is bad luck, sometimes I feel that way too. Hope 08 treats ya way better. You are a way better person than me, I would lend someone a hand but I would draw the line at lending a car. Don't let it kill your spirit!!!

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. frown.gif Thought you might like some hillbilly survival tips. wink.gif

The unwritten redneck law of the Hills,

1. Never loan your Shot gun.

2. Never loan your Chainsaw.

3. Never loan your Pickup Truck.

4. Never loan your Hunting Dog.

I guess yours would come under Pickup Truck.

Now when it comes to your woman, it don't matter much cause if she runs off she aint worth keeping anyway. Just change the locks behind her and let her keep right on goin with the one what she done run off with!

Dave!

Sorry to hear of your situation, Dan! I know it hurts to try to help somebody and you end up getting it "somewhere" . . . from experience. I never did lend anyone one of my vehicles, though.

As nice or generous as we might desire or try to be, sometimes it's best to help others look for alternatives that we can assist but not be directly involved in. I "vote" for helping them find a rental car company that's close enough for you to take them to (helping in that way -- hoping they have a credit card to make that work, too).

How things end up can hinge upon the insurance coverage they have. Or if your insurance coverage might cover it if their company declines for some reason. I hope that everything eventually results in an equitable resolution for you!

Sometimes, you just have to say "No, I'm sorry" and go on down the road.

In one respect, you're in better shape than a racer that lends his race car to "a buddy" who blows the motor up, takes the car back to the owner, and vanishes with no offers of trying to help fix the car or what . . . as the engine was probably getting ready to blow up anyway, from their point of view.

Wishing EVERYBODY a Happy and Prosperous 2008! Hopefully, we can make some of the things we didn't/couldn't make happen in 2007 happen in 2008 . . . or make then happen BETTER in 2008!

NTX5467

When I was racing fairly seriously, I was at a track day when a fellow in a Viper was getting frustrated that he couldn't keep up with my Mustang. He asked me to drive his car and show him what he was doing wrong. I figured, "why not?" and strapped in.

We had about 5 good laps when at the end of the back straight, at a spot known as "the Kink" where some cars can go flat out, and others, like my Mustang, need a momentary lift to settle the front end, I decided to try to flat-foot the Viper through since it seemed so planted on the previous laps.

Turns out, the Viper likes a lift there, too. We spun through the outfield 2-3 times and stuffed the nose into the tire wall. Since it was a track event, insurance wouldn't cover it. Fortunately, our race shop was also a body shop, and we put the car back together with me supplying a new front clip. $3500 later, I decided I would never again drive anyone else's car, on the street or otherwise. There's just too much that can go wrong. Wrecking my own car (which I've never done) is one thing. Wrecking someone else's $80,000 pride and joy is a friendship destroyer.

Take it for what it's worth.

Hi Dan I am new to the boards but just had to comment on your luck because mine is just the same. I lent a jeep I had to a friend and they rear ended someone and my insurance was sued for $50g's so remember it can be worse.

Also two weeks ago my car was hit sitting in front of my girlfriends house by an unlinsenced uninsured driver in a u-haul he was driving for his friend causing $2,500 in damage and now I have to go to court and probably still not get payed. So I agree with your 1 finger wave to 07.

I lent my wife's Bonneville to her sister so she and her son could safely travel and meet us for a weekend at a lake 3 hours away. She had it 1 hour and 15 minutes in route and caught the interior on fire causing $1,000 in damage. To this day we haven't received a penny.

Ironically, this is the same neighbor that we had used his van to move our sound equipment for a cruise. When we loaded the van and went to start it, it laughed at us. No lie. I wouldn't start and it sounded like it was literally laughing at us. Fools we were thinking that van would cooperate. It eventually did start and gave us no more trouble, but Dan has gotten it in the past from this fellow's vehicles. smile.gif

Guest Dan Cook

[she had it 1 hour and 15 minutes in route and caught the interior on fire]

Just curious. How could she catch the interior on fire and do that mush damage?

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Well I saw the insurance adjuster today. He looked over the estimate from where Im getting the car fixed and since he knew the writer , he pretty much rubberstamped it

$1813

minus my $250 deductable

To make it right again. Then when I got home it ws off to the muffler shop for the pickup, the muffler fell off on the way home from work yesterday.

I thought about going down to work on the Wildcat today... then I changed my mind

Long story short. Her son for some reason was in the back seat ane held the cigarette lighters in with his feet and before the fuse blew caught the wiring harness on fire. That harness caught the one in the dash on fire thus burning up a lot of stuff, approximately $960 worth.

Guest Dan Cook

This just keeps getting more amazing. He held cigarette lighters in with his feet. What was he thinking.

Just imagining what was happening at the time is almost funny. I truly am sorry for your loss.

Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Cook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He held cigarette lighters in with his feet. What was he thinking.

</div></div>

He may not have been thinking, my niece did the same thing (without such disaterous results) when she was 3 and still in the car seat. She just put her feet up, not knowing what she was doing. Now if she had been 8 or 9 and done it, thats a different story.....

I blame the parent mad.gif for this, not the kid. It gets worse:

I thought the car was history and would cost to much to fix as it is an older Bonneville. I looked at a low mileage 9 month old used one (2005 last year for Bonneville) in 2006. Wife says she likes her car and writes out the check to fix it. I couldn't get the newer one out of my head so I bought it for myself. Loaning out the car cost me a lot!!! grin.gif

Guest Dan Cook

At least your wife still has the car she wants.

Maybe this will make you feel a little better. 40 years ago I had a 56 Chrysler New Yorker when I was stationed in San Diego. One night a bunch of us a our girlfriends had a big beach party. Getting to the point, When we finally woke up and sobered up my Chrysler and three other cars were missing.

Nope, they weren't stolen. It seems that when we started our party the tide was out and we parked near the water. To this day they are probably still at the bottom of Mission Bay looking back at all that expensive real estate.

Guest elk93001

Dan

I feel for you and gave 2007 the "one finger salute" goodbye as well.

The Friday before Thanksgiving my wife was driving home from doing laundry (the 8 mo old washing machine went on the blink and we were getting the run around from Sears, even though it was well under warranty). A deer runs out and does a number on her car. Luckily she and the kids weren't hurt, in fact the kids come running in to tell me. After asking if she was alright (calmly), I asked (again, calmly) if she she got out to make sure that any pieces of the car weren't left in the road (to create a hazard for someone else.) I practically got my head served to me.

Bear in mind that, my wife and I aren't on the best of speaking terms due to 10 yrs of a meddling mother in law (her mom, not mine) backing into my car and pulling away at my kid's school parking lot two weeks before the deer incident. When my wife saw my car (that day) she asked bitterly, "what did you do to the car?" The proverbial "Verbal gloves" came off and I fired back: "Your mom hit my car, she can screw with my marriage, but she isn't about to screw with my cars!!! " To add fuel to the fire, my wife indicated that her mom "thought she hit something", but of course failed to get her fat, lazy butt out of her car to look to see what she hit (I guess some people like to drive POS and others actually care what they drive). The next time my 4-1/2 year old son saw her he reamed her a new one (I never, ever brought up the fact that their grandmother hit the car, my wife actually told them, but I was accused of "feeding" them anyways.)

The moral of the story, you can always get a hunting license for deer, but not for your mother in law!!!

Hey Elk your right up the road from me. Sounds like we should start an automotive bad luck club. My brother’s wife a few years ago backed out of their driveway and sideswiped 3 cars all belonging to either them or their kids. My brother said it was interesting explaining this to the insurance man.

Dan, many years ago I almost lost my Corvette due to the ocean tides. I got it stuck on the beach with high tide coming in. The water was getting ready to start hitting the side pipes when I let most of the air out of the tires and rocked it out!

Guest Dans 77 Limited

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elk93001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dan

I feel for you and gave 2007 the "one finger salute" goodbye as well.

The Friday before Thanksgiving my wife was driving home from doing laundry (the 8 mo old washing machine went on the blink and we were getting the run around from Sears, even though it was well under warranty). A deer runs out and does a number on her car. Luckily she and the kids weren't hurt, in fact the kids come running in to tell me. After asking if she was alright (calmly), I asked (again, calmly) if she she got out to make sure that any pieces of the car weren't left in the road (to create a hazard for someone else.) I practically got my head served to me.

Bear in mind that, my wife and I aren't on the best of speaking terms due to 10 yrs of a meddling mother in law (her mom, not mine) backing into my car and pulling away at my kid's school parking lot two weeks before the deer incident. When my wife saw my car (that day) she asked bitterly, "what did you do to the car?" The proverbial "Verbal gloves" came off and I fired back: "Your mom hit my car, she can screw with my marriage, but she isn't about to screw with my cars!!! " To add fuel to the fire, my wife indicated that her mom "thought she hit something", but of course failed to get her fat, lazy butt out of her car to look to see what she hit (I guess some people like to drive POS and others actually care what they drive). The next time my 4-1/2 year old son saw her he reamed her a new one (I never, ever brought up the fact that their grandmother hit the car, my wife actually told them, but I was accused of "feeding" them anyways.)

The moral of the story, you can always get a hunting license for deer, but not for your mother in law!!! </div></div>

With me its always been the father in-law, but thats a whole other post. The body shop called and the car is done .... thank God. No0w all I have to do is pick it up , collect the money off of my neighbor and get it inspected before anything else happens to it. Im still POed about the fact that it got wrecked ..... but I guess Ill get over it. My sister did the hit and run thing on my car one time. But it was okay, in the end she hit a 77 Impala with an 83 Cutlass Ciera, hid the Ciera for a week and then spent 1500 getting the damagae fixed. I saw the dent in my Implala ... wigged out (which was why she was afraid to tell me she hit my car ) then in a fit of anger opened the trunk , punched the dent and POP it came right out , you could not tell it was ever hit. grin.gif

Dan

Guest Dan Cook

Hey Elk,

I bet Dandy Dave could issue a hunting license for a mother-in-law. If he can get them for Reattas an in-law license should be no problem.