Sign in to follow this  
Phil Wimbish

WTB Parts For My Barnfind '38 Coupe

Greetings to all!

I have been looking for a long time for the right car and have found her!! Sitting since '56 before I was even born!

My plans are to get her running, engine is frozen and I am not having much luck so far with the usual engine freeing techniques. I am then planning on just cleaning her up a bit and showing her as is for awhile, as I know first hand how long the process can be to do a proper restoration, that will come, but at least for now, it will be later.

The car appears to have had some custom treatment way back in the '50s ie. chromed glove box lids and ash try, seat covers and door panels, shaved front hood trim and later front bumper and aftermarket headlights. The original uphosteryl is underneath the covers.The car does smell of mouse urine, any tips???

I am looking for the missing original parts which include:

headlights

front bumper

hood trim and ornament

misc interior handles and knobs

rear license light

side mirror(s)

vent wings

maybe:

good running engine or complete '38 sedan parts cars

Set of nice whitewalls with hubcaps and trim rings

The car is equipped with the columbia rear and a radio, aftermarket heater

I would like to communicate with other owners especially anyone local, I am trying to learn as much as I can about these cars. I did get the Chrismas gift of a lifetime which is a set of Way of the Zephyr back issues....The "motherlode"!! I am enjoying the "research"!

I am looking forward to getting involved in the club, I've been a lurker for years!

Thanks for listening!

Philip Wimbish aka Phil or Phildaddy

Annapolis Md

Phildaddy1@aol.com

'38 LIncoln Zephyr 3-window Coupe

'57 Porsche 356 A Coupe I'm convinced ol Dr Porsche stole his designs from the original Taharda Briggs car!

'78 Egg Harbor 33' (Yes I am sick!)

Hi Phildaddy,

You are in luck! The annual eastern winter LZOC swap meet will be held in February, 2008 in Lancaster, PA.

Check out:

http://lzoc.org/calendar/Winter%20swap%20meet/winterswapmeet.htm

for full information.

You will meet some really terrific folks and undoubtedly be able to pick up a LOT of the parts you need at that meet.

Give my regards to Earle Brown, Jake Fleming, Merv Adkins, and Alan Whelihan.

Happy swapping!

Here they are... at least I hope they come through. The car looks a bit rough, but the only rust hole I can find is at the rear apron, very minor with only surface rust underneath, the car is straight and appears to have never been hit.

I'm thrilled anyway!

PHIL

post-43874-143137961183_thumb.jpg

post-43874-143137961195_thumb.jpg

post-43874-143137961205_thumb.jpg

post-43874-143137961216_thumb.jpg

post-43874-14313796123_thumb.jpg

Phil, we all hate your guts! wink.gif

Just kidding! Great find! I'd be tempted to just get running, make it safe, and leave it as is. Excellent car!

Seems like you covered all the custom stuff done to the car except for the smaller pattern juice brakes. How does the hood latch without the ornament? Very nice car!I have a 38 coupe also and some spare parts not alot though. Dave

post-47530-143137961285_thumb.jpg

To all!

Thanks for the postive response , I appreciate it!

First to address a couple of comments, Do not feel bad for "hating my guts", I feel the same way about myself! Just kidding! I guess that comment is all about envy, I can relate to that as well!

As for the "juice" brakes, they are not what they appear, they are mechanical with the smaller, later bolt pattern. I am curious about the brakes and at what date did Lincoln make the change?

Another thing I would really like to know about is how well the mechanical brakes work? I really do want to get this car driveable and have never driven any,not even one of this period Zephyr . I guess that really makes me crazy to buy a car I have never experienced driving. That just shows how I am captivated by the looks of these cars!

Any input would be appreciated!

Happy New Year!

Phil

Thats odd they changed the drums and didnt put hydraulic brakes on I am not sure when they changed over to hydraulics I am sure it was with the year change. I think the 38 hubcaps are best looking by far. My experience with mechanical brakes is they work if the are set up right. Have to be arched to the drum properly, adjusted right and most importantly an asbestos lining like stock or its just alot of problems. Bendix style brakes are more forgiving on material and adjustment just because of their self energizing design. The newer organic tree hugger linings crack up after you fade them and they fade way easier than the old stuff. Or the metallic ones eat up your drums faster than the shoes dissapear. Good luck Dave

That's an interesting piece of information about the change to the smaller bolt circle without upgrading to hydraulic brakes. That makes late production 1938 Zephyrs unique in the brake department. I wonder if there were any early production 1939 Zephyrs with mechanical brakes. Probably not, but Ford was really good at using up left-over parts.

As to the brake lining material - when you do a brake job, BY ALL MEANS try to find some NOS asbestos linings. The only brake lining material currently being produced will **NOT** stop the car. I learned that to my dismay when replacing the brakes on my '41 Continental. I ended up installing a Midland power brake booster in the left front fender well. The car now stops as it should. There are no power brake boosters available for mechanical brakes that I know of so you're pretty much locked into asbestos linings if you intend to drive the car anywhere but in your back yard.

There's a little photo essay of my power brake booster installation on the '41 Continental at the end of:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/557478162IZJiRf

By the way, that's a really fine looking "barn find" '38 Zephyr! Congratulations, you really lucked out! Looking forward to seeing some more photos of it. (.jpg images at 640x480 resolution load a LOT faster on my dial-up line than those 5mb bitmaps).

Dave is right, fortunately we have some experts close by here, on proper adjusting of the mechanicals, which when properly done will stop better than hydraulics, and Bill U, who is really in the know about brake linings. The hydraulics first appeared on the '39 models, some say a few of the late '38's had them, I don't know frankly, but '39 for sure

Here's what I know about it:

The 5 1/2" diameter bolt pattern wheels appeared sometime in 1938. My Nov. 1939 chassis manual lists a different drum and shoes than for the 10 1/4" design used on the '36/'37s. I understand the change in drums (the bolt pattern has changed), but why the shoes?

That said, I just bought a NOS brake shoe repair kit from Bob Anderson. The box had an 86H part number, but said they could be used for '36-38 mechanical brakes. When it comes in, I'll take pictures of these shoes vs. my '37 shoes. If they won't fit my car, then I guess I know a potential buyer!

I bet that car came with the wide lug wheels. When it was shaved or nosed as they called it way back when they probably opted for the more modern small pattern wheels as they would have been a styling upgrade. But who knows? I'm sure it will be a big debate around here.I have a guy local guy that still makes and installs asbestos linings he also arcs the shoes to fit the drums. He needs the drums and the shoes to do it right. I like asbestos and spotted owl sandwiches! Dave

Greetings again to all!

I thought I would repost this as I am still looking for parts and had little to no response. Even the people that said they had a couple of the parts I need and said they would get back to me never did.

I am continually amazed at how little anyone participates on this list. I see hundreds of views on a topic and hardly anyone has a comment or tip to offer the poster. Its discouraging to a "newbie". Sorry to rant!

Will also consider: A complete running '38 sedan to borrow an engine and some trim off of.

A complete running engine.

I know someone has this stuff sitting around!

Thanks for listening!

Phil Wimbish

'38 Coupe

'57 Porsche 356 A coupe

'78 Egg Harbor 33' Sportfish

PS By the way.'38's did come with the small pattern drums and mechanical brakes!

Keep plugging away Phil, the stuff will turn up. Nobody who deals with these beautiful old beasts seems to be in much of a hurry. Be thankful that we have "Al Gore's wonderful invention". Could you imagine trying to chase down oddball parts by mail?

BTW, the "we hate you" comment was totally in jest. Many Zephyrists think that the pre-war coupes are the most beautiful cars ever made. I can't think of anyone, even non-Zephyr car people who would not love to own an early coupe, and especially to find an unmolested example. You are one lucky man. Enjoy that beautiful car, even if it is a little at a time.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the comment. I liked the "I hate your guts" comment and always knew it was "tongue in cheek". It took me five years to find this car so I can apprciate the "jealousy" seething from the masses!

I'm just having a problem with the lack of participation on the forum postings. Take this topic for example. There has been almost five hundred looks at the topic with just 15 notes replied by just a few people.

I'm trying to learn everything I can about these cars so I can get more involved. I intend to post a topic on this soon to see how newer members like myself can get involved and help in the club. Time is marching on and the younger members need to be brought into the "fold" to carry on the faith as they say!

Just my 2 cents!

Phil

You get a lot of looks without posting because I'd suspect, that many of the old car guys are just surfing the boards concerning models they like but do not currently own, or they are in the position I'm in, that is, I have a complete car, in pretty good shape, but few spares and extra parts available. Zephyrs arent 65 Mustangs as far as parts availability goes. Post a thread that says you have XXX extra and want to part with it and it will go quickly. start a thread looking for something specific, but not commonly needed and it can take a while. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and go to the usual suspects and pay the long price, if they have it.

I FOUND THE SAME TO BE TRUE...BUT A COUPLE REALLY GREAT

GUYS HELPED ME.

I ALWAYS RECCOMEND EARLE O BROWN... HE IS HONEST AND

WELL CONNECTED..

MERV ON THE WEST COAST HAS LOTS, $$$

TRY THE BOOS HERRIL, I HAD LOUSY WATERPUMPS FROM BOOS

YEARS AGO..BUT HE HAS QUITE A STASH IT SEEMS..$$$$

THERE ARE A BUNCH OF ADS..(MANY OLD & QUESTIONABLE) IN

TWOTZ ZEFFER MAG..SEEMS HARD TO REACH MANY..

DO YOU BELONG TO THE CLUB??

I RECCOMEND CALLING SOME OF THE FELLOWS THAT ALSO OWN THE YEAR CAR THAT U DO..EVERYBODY HAS EXTRA JUNK..LEFT OVERS ETC..OR KNOWS SOMEONE....

DONT BE HASTY. YOU WILL PAY A VENDOR 500 FOR A PART THAT

IS WORTH 75...