67 Riviera

Guest Black beauty

Guest Black beauty

Hi there...

Does anyone know whether there was a "sunroof-option" for the rivieras in 1967 ?

As I'm from Europe there are not many people I could ask about these cars...:-)

I'm going to buy one next week and the owner said it would be stock...

Oh...and can anyone help me decoding the fisher body tag of the car? I would like to know where it was build and what factory-colour it once had...

The pics are

Bild066-full;init:.jpg HERE

and Bild066-full;init:.jpg HERE

Here you can see a bit of the sunroof...

Bild022-full;init:.jpg

Thanx for your help...

This is not a factory sunroof, Buick didn't install them in '67. The codes are hard to read in the picture, but they'll only tell you of modifications that Fisher Body had to makee to a standard body that were required for certain things rearward of the firewall. Like electric windows, or a rear window defogger, where holes or tabs were needed for screws and bolts. Things like the radio, four note horn, etc. that perhaps only required a different wiring harness or tapping into an existing harness would not be stamped into the body tag. Lots of these kinds of options could aslo be added by the dealer before or after the car was sold. If you'll post the numbers in the picture, we can help you better.

Ed

Guest Black beauty

Sorry...but these pics are all the informations that I have...

The car is located about 900 miles from my place, so it's not possible to get any better pics...

If you want you can take a look at the other pics and tell me whether you think it's in good condition...but watch out...there are a lot of them... crazy.gif

LINK

Guest Black beauty

Thank you very much for the link...can you (or s.o. else) tell me whether it's a US car or a Swiss one?

The owner told me that the price for the car would be 14000$...

is that OK for a car in this condition or should I fly to the US (Pomona swapmeet for example)to buy one there?

Remember that I have to calculate extra 4500$ for shipping to Germany,taxes,flight, exchange of the light system to european standard etc...

The car is not a GS, has no AC, but had a frame-off-restauration 8 years ago...

Interiour is 3 years old...ABSOLUTELY no rust...new Tires (one hubcab is missing) and stood in a dry garage for 3 years now...

At the moment a carburator from a 73 -model is installed, but the original one from the 67 is also in the package...

What do you think?

Should I fly to the US?

I'm thankful for every opinion...

J.

I may be going out on a limb here, but I wouldn't buy this car for $14,000.00 (US). If you're planning on coming to the U.S., perhaps you should consider coming to the ROA's annual even in Galena, Illinois the last week of June, 2008. There you could see a lot of Rivieras in different states of originality, frame up restorations, and frame off restorations. Each member could tell you what costs were involved in either purchasing or restoring his vehicle. There's also a car "corral" set up for vehicles that are for sale, perhaps you could find something there. What is for sale in the classified of the Riview?

I bought a rust free 1964 from a guy in Arizona a year ago. It cost me $1,800.00. When I'm finished with it in a year or so, I'm sure it will look as good as the '67 you're looking at now and I won't have anywhere near $14,000.00 tied up in it when I'm finished.

Again, this is my own personal opinion, just food for thought.

Ed

Guest imported_65gs76limited

My opinion,i wouldn't go anywhere near the car for 14,000.If the interior has benn redone why is the center console not finished?The top of it should have woodgrain inserts in them.Makes me wonder where else the owner cut corners.The only thing i see that the car has that i like are the headrests.Like i said,my opinion.Tom

Guest Riviera66

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Janne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you very much for the link...can you (or s.o. else) tell me whether it's a US car or a Swiss one?

The owner told me that the price for the car would be 14000$...

is that OK for a car in this condition or should I fly to the US (Pomona swapmeet for example)to buy one there?

Remember that I have to calculate extra 4500$ for shipping to Germany,taxes,flight, exchange of the light system to european standard etc...

</div></div>

There is no such thing as a Swiss Riviera. All Rivieras were produced in Flint Michigan, as I covered in my Riview article of May/Jun 2007.

There were Rivieras produced for the European market... and this is one of them, as witnessed by the speedometer marked off in Kilometers and the speed alert.

This particular one, if it were in the US, would not have an easy time finding a buyer... the interior restoration has a lot of problems: poorly done dashpad, poorly reupholstered headrests, poorly reupholstered door panels, wrong material for seats, and wrong material for headliner. Add in that it's not original color and it's without AC and it would scare off quite a few buyers. Here in the US it'd be a good candidate for customization, but would be too expensive to restore correctly to an original state. But, since it's a European edition in Europe, that may not be the best comparison... only a few hundred were exported each year and this is one of those survivors.

As far as the sunroof, it appears to be an add-on from about 1968/69... a German company came out with these kits and there are even some of them here in the US (we've got ROA members with a '65 and a '66 with one, both of which are gorgeous cars)... ASC sold/installed the kits here in Southern California for the US market.

Darwin Falk

1966-70 ROA Technical Advisor