1965 Riv on ebay

Guest Gee_Rydes

Guest Gee_Rydes

Have any of you guys seen the turquoise 65 GS on ebay?

I tried to add a link.

Looks to me that maybe this car was born with a standard interior and upgraded over the years to deluxe. Body tag does not show the power vents nor the power seat.

Anybody agree with this?

Beautiful car Ebay Riv GS

Disagree somewhat.

Trim code 628 is for custom black vinyl, 608 would have been for standard black vinyl.

Power accessories could be ordered on standard interiors as well as custom interiors. The biggest difference was the wood veneer on the door panels and the full length arm rest with two door handles per side; one for the front seat passenger and one for the rear seat passenger. On the custom interior, the window switches were on the arm rest, on the standard interior, they were on the door panel.

The 3B code on the tag is for a rear defogger and the 3T is for a rear center arm rest.

The only reason I'm not disagreeing entirely is that my car (63) and some others I'm aware of do have a code on the trim tag for the power vents; this car is coded only for power window.

The body tag would not necessarily have included the power seat option. Fisher Body would not have been required to make any modifications to the chassis for the power seats, that wiring harness could have been installed on the assembly line with out other modifications.

Do a search on this forum for a discussion on trim tag codes and read what Tim M. has to say about what was and what was not included on the body tag. It bascially says that if certain holes, tabs, etc. were not required for the installation of an option, the tag would not reflect that option.

Ed

Guest Gee_Rydes

Ed,

Thanks for your comments. Every power seat 65 I have owned so far had the "T" code on the body plate. The absence of the T and the N on the plate led me to believe that it was an "owner installed option" as a very astute and respected member once said...you know who I mean

I do not pretend to know it all and I learn every day too.

HI Guys,

It wasn't me who put together the VIN information, it was Tom Mooney. Believe what Tom tells you, he is a Riviera guru and the ROA is darn lucky to have him as a tech advisor! What I know about 65 Riv's would fill a thimble!

Remember that during the 60's and 70's it was VERY common practice at new car dealers to option up a car from dealer stock for a customer who didn't want to or couldn't wait to order one from the manufacturer. Unless the car has the original bill of sale with these additional options noted, it is very difficult to tell what has been "owner" added and what was dealer added. I always say if you like the car and can afford it, buy it and enjoy it!

I think that this very same Riviera has been taking trips from one classic car retailer to another. It looks to be a very nice car and should command a premium price when it does actually end up in the hands of a collector/enthusiast and not a used car jockey!

Take Care,

Tim McCluskey

Tim,

I agree that this is the same GS that has been making the rounds that Mr. Riviera mentioned at least 6 months ago. Is it me or is the price going down?

OK Riviera People: Who REALLY knows what the market is on this type of unit? I say this because I wonder about several (use your imagination for the appropriate word) ebay practices that can alter the actual true sale price.

Does the seller have his homeies shill the bidding to jack up the price?

It is on ebay, sure, but is it really for sale or is the seller trying to get an appraisal?

Don't forget that classic auctions have an 8% seller's fee as well as an 8% buyer's fee not counting tax and licence fees. That's alotta dough when it comes to 40K+.

With the economy as jittery as it is, are people really paying all this money for these mythological kinds of cars?

Yes, 65 Rivieras are hot sellers for now but the price of a super good one being well under 20K and a GS, over 40K? I don't think there's that much difference. What do you think? Mitch

Yes the market remains very strong for these high end cars. The real estate bust effects a mostly different buyer. Some of those boomers will be effected by the R.E. crash but not many.

These vehicles are still rising because they are a store of value that can also be enjoyed. You can't drive a CD (Certificate of Deposit) 2000 miles a year and see it go up 4 to 10% in value. Win-win.

Guest Gee_Rydes

I think it is proven that a restored GS is worth in the mid 40's. Non GS models are worth in the mid 30's depending on what they have options wise.

I'll bet you'll see a few this year at Barrett. Usually they are scarce there.

Guest musclecarfan65

well ... if you take a look on the HP of GMobsolete (www.gmobsolete.com) you will see a 65 rivi GS which had been sold for 72500$ (fully restored although they forgot e.g. to replace the washer fluid bottle with a new one) ... and another one is for sale at around 60K $. i believe the marketprice is more or less the amount you are really wanting to pay. i bought mine for 12500€ (euros) with very dubious mileage and some "strange" not road legal modifications but it was an extremly solid car with some minor rust ... but it has the 425 engine and is a matching numbers car :-).

Guest Gee_Rydes

Dick,

I agree that it is what the buyer is willing to pay. Most people do not "market" their cars right to attract the largest audience and leave money on the table.

I should have prefaced that with "on ebay, the high bids have been in the mid 40's for a GS..." Ebay is one of the few places that you actualy have proof what the car sold for. If I had one for sale for $60K, I may be inclined to stretch the truth about my other one I sold for $72.5K. I'm not suggesting that is the case, but one can certainly see the possibility.

I sold my non GS 425 in the mid 30's and did not use ebay.

In a live auction environment, you get very wealthy guys showing how much money they have...and sometimes how little car knowledge they have. I love those guys!!! Those guys move the needle.

Dave

Guest musclecarfan65

dave,

i see we agree on this "pricing" topic. i once owned the "illustrated buick buyers guide" which stated that the 65 rivi will jump up to 50K ... but i really can not think of anyone here in europe paying such high prices as 72.5K or 60K for a 65 rivi (or like the e.g. famous plymouth cuda cabrio selling for over 1mio $). european prices are hard to compare to US prices.

best regards and have a nice sylvester/new year here in the aaca forum.

dirk

Guest Gee_Rydes

It's back. Must have had the flakey buyer syndrome.

Usually each additional time it goes up on ebay, it drops in final price