HPOF?

How bad can a vehicle appear and still be shown in the HPOF class? I have a Smith Motor Wheel that seems to fit into the plan of the HPOF. It is mechanically complete, has all it original parts, and runs. However, I'll be the first to say it looks a bit rough. It's been repainted (with a brush)and most of the nickel plating is gone. However, it is a wonderful example of all the Smith's original features including a good portion of the tank decal. It was last used in about 1942. It is mounted on a bicycle of like vintage. Thoughts??

Thanks for the encouraging word. Wasn't sure just how HPOF worked. I'm afraid you'll have to wait to see the real thing at Hershey. Don't have a digital camera. I really haven't progressed much past the age of steam--in ability or technology! Thanks again, Doright

• 2 weeks later...

Does repainting the engine count as restoration? I also replaced the original material on the seats ( I reused the frames and hardware). Ofcourse I needed new tires to drive it.<P><BR>Rick

Historic Preservation of Original Features.<P>A class for unrestored, largely original cars at least 35(?) years old. If I recall correctly (hvs or Ronbarn can/will correct me), HPOF was started to encourage owners of original cars in good condition to keep them original rather than restore them. Thus there would be a pool of vehicles that could be used as rolling museum/library reference pieces showing how the car was originally built. (As opposed to how it was assembled during restoration with possibly incomplete or inaccurate research.)

Rick -<BR>At AACA national meets - a non judged class for all vehicles 35 years or older that are in significant original condition or have significant original features. The first time you go for HPOF designation the car is evaluated and if it passes you get an HPOF badge and certificate. The car is then not eligible for judged classes in the future. <BR>See: <A HREF="http://www.aaca.org/judging/Section3.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.aaca.org/judging/Section3.htm</A> and look in the footnotes (which contain the year date error s/b 35 years not 45).<P>Hope to see you on August 25th. grin.gif" border="0

Repainting an engine or any part to make it look better is generally considered as a restoration step. Hoever, there are times when repainting is appropriate as a maintenance action. If you have a bad rust or corrosion problem, repainting may be needed for protection, however if you do not have a bad problem and want to stay HPOF, don't repaint.<P>EDIT - I just went back to the original statement and read that the engine has apparently already been repainted poorly. Without seeing just how bad the job was done, you may need to repaint just to correct a sloppy previous job that is not original anyway.<p>[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: ronbarn ]