Esterline Generator System

jquam

I am currently restoring a 1914 Kissel Kar 4-40 Semi Racer which uses an Esterline generator system. The Esterline is also used on a 1913 Mitchell, 1913 Stutz, 1914 Knox. According to the "Automotive Wiring Manual" (1912 to 1920) the Esterline generator is connected to a "Series B Controller". Does anyone have any info on this device....is it maybe internal to the generator...

Thanks for any help

John

John; from an original printing of "Wells Auto Electricians Handbook" comes the following information.

ESTERLINE; (permanent Magnet Generator) Types; Type D, series B and series C

Charge rate; series B, all lamps off, maximum output 10-12 amperes; series C, maximum output 12-15 amperes.

Generator; two pole machine with permanent magnet fields in conjunction with field windings carried on core across arch of magnets and above armature. Two brushes on opposite sides of commutator; positive on right, negative on left.

Series B has three field windings on the core; one a shunt coil, another a reversed series coil, and the third a load winding. series C has two field windings; a shunt coil and a reversed series coil.Series B has 4 wire terminals on the dynamo, series C has 2 terminals.

Test Terminals; Ammeter between terminal 2 and wire removed on either machine. Voltmeter on series B between terminals 1 and 2; on series C between terminals 2 and 3.

Field terminals; series B has shunt field between terminals 1 and 4, reversed series (Batt) field between terminals 1 and 3, load field winding between terminal 2 and positive (right hand) brush. Series C has shunt field between terminals 3 and 4, series field between terminal 2 and positive brush.

Regulation; reversed series field windings oppose shunt and permanent magnet fields to limit output. On series B machine the output is increased by the load winding when the lamps are turned on. No adjustment provided.

Cut out; Magnetic, carried on fuse panel. Closes at

375-400 R.P.M., 6.5-7.5 volts; opens with discharge of 0.0-1.5 amperes. Spring tension and armature gap adjusted by screws passing through contact arms and armature on top of unit.

John, this book I am quoting also shows both above described "Esterline internal circuits"; series B and series C.... the cutouts, of a type that I am familiar with, are in all probability, external of the generator itself, and as I quoted the book earlier, it mentions the cutout being mounted on the fuse panel.

Finally, the Ann Klien collection had a 4-40 Kissel, as I recentlyread,and it is for sale; claimed to be original. If you can locate it, it could verify many of the details which you seek.

Regards; jerry "oldiron"

John; Of the exact cut-out that you need, I have no knowledge.Give me a week, and I can reproduce a copy of the schematic that I have in book form, of your Esterline circuit. But, that is only a schematic. Another Kissel owner could tell you perhaps the manufacturers name, so that you could start a search. On the other hand, a generic cut-out could also work if you can wire it in. I do have a period, single point cutout; i.e. which works with the same voltages and amperers normally generated at the slower R.P.M.'s that are described in Wells handbook. I am not sure of it's applications but I had tested it out for use on my '13 Cadillac prior to finding the original "two point contact" cut-out which I really needed.

Regards; Jerry

Jerry

Thanks so much for all the research work you are doing...once again I really appreciate it. I am in the process of trying to track down a Kissel like mine to get some information. Kissel only used the Esterline system for 2 years 1913-1914 so it makes it a little harder to find information

Regards

John