Trico Vacuum Wiper Motor

Hello you all.<BR>I have a not working Trico Wiper Motor at my 1930 Buick. The housing is in a bad condition so I would like to buy a new one.<BR>Do you have any ideas where I could get such a vacuum wiper motor for this car and what could be the price?<BR>Thanks in advance<P>Tom

Tom,<P>The easiest thing to do is contact Ficken Wiper Service and send it to Rob for rebuilding. He should be able to help you with a replacement housing as well.<P>Ficken Wiper Service<BR>132 Calvert Avenue<BR>West Babylon, NY 11704<BR>(516)- 587-3332 FAX- 516-661-9125<P>I took a quick look and I don't have any that style to offer you at this time.<P>Good luck, Rick

Hi Rick.<BR>Thanks for the tip.<BR>One of the two holes for the large screws is broken of so at the moment the motor is just attached at the car with one screw . One small thread is broken also and as far as I know the wiper motor hasn't run for more than 50 years.<P>Tom<p>[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: ThomasBorchers ]

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Tom/Rick, Area code is now 631, it changed about a year ago. I do not know of this business, but it is in the town I live in. It is 1 1/2 miles away. If I can be of any help email me.SalG<p>[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: SalG ]

Thanks for the correction Sal. It's been over a year since I used them and like most everything else here, it is antique and outdated. rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>Maybe the reason you never heard of Fickens service, is because they don't repair hand operated wipers like on your Model T. It's time to upgrade Sal and get a new car like a Model A. wink.gif" border="0 <P>Rick

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Rick, I do like Model A's, my cousin, who you met at your Hershey get together, is a Model A man. And I do believe that the Model A is a leap in technology from my Model T.<BR>SalG grin.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

This little ditty is in the <a href="http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=veh&codebody=">California Motor Vehicle Code</a>:<blockquote><dl><dt>26706.</dt><dd>

1. Every motor vehicle, except motorcycles, equipped with a windshield shall also be equipped with a self-operating windshield wiper.</li>
  2. Every new motor vehicle first registered after December 31, 1949, except motorcycles, shall be equipped with two such windshield wipers, one mounted on the right half and one on the left half of the windshield, except that any motor vehicle may be equipped with a single wiper so long as it meets the wiped area requirements in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards Governing Windshield Wiping and Washing Systems.</li>
  3. This section does not apply to snow removal equipment equipped with adequate manually operated windshield wipers.</li>

</dd></dl></blockquote>I bet most other states have the same type of law on the books. How do you get around that with a car with a manual wiper?

I'm not sure most states are as strick as CA. Tod. I found it interesting to learn that on here by you about CA.<P>Here in PA., all antique licensed vehicles are totally exempt from our state vehicle inspection rulings. This took place back in 1981 or 82 and I have always had mixed feelings about it. In general, the antique vehicle is allowed to operate on all our highways as originally equipped. However, two rulings with our state is that those that can not maintain the minimum speed of 45 MPH are forbidden on our intersate highways and those not equipped with sealed beam lamps are limited to daytime use only. I guess I should read up more on this now that I'm thinking about it as to see what changes, if any, came about recently.<P>Rick<p>[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: Rick Hoover ]

I guess California is more lenient in some areas than in others. <a href="http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=25001-26000&file=25450-25452">acetylene headlamps are legal</a>. There is no requirement for sealed beam lights at all.<P>If I recall correctly, there used to be a requirement for sealed beams on cars on or after 1940. I think it got dropped when new cars started coming out with bulb and reflector headlights a few years ago.

The hand operated wiper is legal in CA,<BR>if your car was so equiped and it was first licensed before 46 or so. However, ALL vehicles in CA must have a left hand outside rear view mirror, whether or not it had one from the factory. that law went into effect in the mid 60's<BR>I don't need all this usless knowlege so I though I would give it away<BR> Bill grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

Critterpainter, I had heard that hand operated wipers were okay, but all I could find in the Motor Vehicle Code said that they weren't. What is the code section that gives that waiver?<P>There are two things that I find no "on or after" dates for:<ol>[*]Driver side rear view mirror (as you said). And...</li>[*]One rear reflector. There are "on or after" dates for multiple rear reflectors.</li>

Todd, your answer is in para 2 " every new motor vehicle first registered AFTER Dec 31 49". You would also need to look at the Govt. standards for wipers to see what the requirement is.<P>Kirk<p>[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: 29CHEVY ]

29Chevy,<P>The online version of the code requires two wipers on or after Dec. 31, 1949. I still don't see any waiver for the requirement of at least one automatic wiper for all cars with windshields.