reatta repairs

I've been reading some of the archives here. They prompt this question - is the reatta (save body parts) primarily just a buick? That is - are the balance of repair items such as window regulators, latches, hinges, electronics, etc... as readily available as an buick of this vintage. Or have you all found these sorts of parts to be just as difficult to find. My reason for asking - in the brief time I was looking at an available '90 the left window was extremely slow to go down, and even slower to return to the up position. I, so far, haven't checked out the rest of the car as I was supposed to be helping my daughter find her first.

There was a document by someone from Buick that stated that the plan was to have 60-70% of the Reatta be Riviera parts.<P>That is probably true if you are counting every nut and bolt.<P>However, none of the glass or body panels are Riviera. The seats are the same frame but have different colors and patterns.<P>We do not have a "list" of interchangeable parts. If you had a parts book, you could look up a window regulator and you could determine if it also fit the Riviera.<BR>The goofy thing about the parts book..it doesn't give you a clue if the part is used on any other GM product. I believe that is different if the dealer enters the number on this parts computer.

If it is a part available through AC Delco (a lot more than you would think) you can go to <a href="http://www.acdelco.com/html/catalog/index_auto.htm">their web page</a>, click on "vehicle list" in the upper bar, and enter the part number. This will list what else the same part <B><I>was cataloged</B></I> to fit (not always true but usually). Caveat y'all.<P>ps good rule of thumb is that mechanical & electrical parts often were drawn from a generic parts bin (sometimes not GM as in the Sunroof) but cosmetics are probably going to be Reatta only.<p>[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: padgett ]

If you're looking to cross index reatta parts with other GM models, you may want to visit the junkyard. Things like AC compressors from a Le Sabre will fit, but to get an AC line, you'd have to pull it from a Trofeo. Most salvage yards carry a Hollander Index book or software that can tell what will fit and if there are any small differences in the replacement.

Have sometimes been amazed by the mumber of different ways GM can make the same part so one will not fit in the same location as another. Clips in different places, flanging different, sizes just slightly different...<P>Silliest was the difference in late 80s early 90s Grand Prix grilles, the split ones under the bumper. On an LE the grille opening was slightly larger than the SE. This made the entire valence assembly different yet not visible to the casual looker. Duhmb.<P>Wonder how much such miniscule differences has cost the General over the years. If anything a step backwards from when the Cadillacs were scrambled.