What is the oddest option or feature you've seen on a car?

my65riv

Guest aussie610

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rusty_OToole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 1931 Invicta advertised that their radiator was "mounted on rubber dog balls" !!!

SOME feature!!!! </div></div>

that would have stood out like..... eek.gif

hmmm better leave that one alone smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> See, I told you guys that some cars came with propellers.

</div></div>

Yeah, but none are as "odd" as the air-driven propeller on the front of a '51 Crosley. I've often wondered what kind of bearing it would need to have a lifetime warrenty. wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Propellers. wink.gifgrin.gif</div></div>

See, I told you guys that some cars came with propellers.

And ya'll thought I was just drunk on eggnog. crazy.gif </div></div>

The Super models of Crosley in 1951-52 had propellers to but they were not optional and they were on the other end. Some Crosley people claim if you oil them well you can get them spinning fast enough to give you a boost going up hill. grin.gif

51CrosleyPropeller.jpg

Never seen one!!!

I think the one thing about the amphicars that always kept me wondering is how they kept those things watertight so they wouldn't sink.

Were those fiberglass or steel??

How did they keep the areas were the wiring and linkage went into the passenger compartment from leaking??

Back when I was about 10 years old my dad had a deposit down to buy a red one, my mom didn't like it, so he backed out of the deal. There have been many times over the years where he STILL kicks himself for not getting the car. In either case, I wasn't old enough to understand the engineering of those to be able to answer the questions that I'm asking you.

Here is a picture of a Amphi camper (could be homemade) that was part of my seminar on the "Amphicar" taken from the 2007 annual meeting in Philadelphia. I will be updating this seminar for the 08 meeting and I believe will be presenting on Saturday this year. Have lots of interesting facts, myths, figures and pictures for the seminar.

post-30758-143137960678_thumb.jpg

If recollection serves me, "early" VW Beetles with the flip out turn signal arms. (i.e...push the steering wheel turn signal lever down and the flashing turn signal arm on the left post would come down and flash.) May be wrong, however, Citroen may have had them, too.

PJH... grin.gif

AACA Life Member #383299

Northern Neck & Pottstown Regions

Vintage Triumph Register

Does anyone remember the automatic seatbelts that were robotically-fastened? Then there were the cars that talked to you when you sat down: "Door ajar!"; "Please fasten your seatbelt!"; "Your BeeGees 8-Track is about to self-destruct."; etc. I think these things were in the 80's.

----Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guess what?!?!?!?!? We saw a green Amphi with a white top on a trailer TODAY. It was on an open trailer, with Ohio plates/boat registration on the car. </div></div>

You never know when you may stumble across one however with an open trailer he can count on 40 minutes when stopping to fill up for gas.

Speaking of Citroen's I was at my friends restoration shop Monday and they were restoring one. Who would of ever thought a Citroen was worth the money however its lines are unique.

Anyone remember those seats you used to be able to buy as a factory accessory? They were made out of a wicker like material and you would sit them on top of the regular seat. They were supposed to keep you from sweating and getting fatigue while driving long distances.

Last year, there was an early 20s Hudson Super Six Limo. on Ebay. It had all sorts of devices for heat, fans, mirrors , etc. But it also had a retractible urinal, nickel plated that would pull up from the floor like a 20's cigar lighter. Urinal discharged straight to the ground.

Times have changed...

Bob McAnlis

Ohio

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

They're great for collecting all of the cookies, naps, and chocolate crumbs that truck drivers eat day and night. eek.gifgrin.gif

Wayne </div></div>

Sounds like a fruitcake in the making. Like a chia pet it keeps growing. smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob McAnlis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Urinal discharged straight to the ground.</div></div>

Now people just use soda/water bottles as urinals and throw them out of their vehicles for someone else to have to clean up. YUCK!! And just try walking through a trucker lot on a hot day without hurling. sick.gif

There is a car (modified) in a muesum in San Diego, Ca that was a cadillac, and they made it to drive all across country back in the 50's to break some record, it had a toilet, sink that doubled to a clothes washer and an 8mm movie projector and screen and a water fountain in the tail light and a trailer full of gas, and you could change the tire while driving! There were literally a million things on it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldcarfudd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of European cars had flip-out turn signals. I believe even Rolls Royce had them. They were called "trafficators".

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ </div></div>

My wife always called them mox nix sticks. They had a VW with them on when her Father was stationed in Germany. Not knowing any German I didn't know what it meant so I just Googled it and found this interesting explanation.

<span style="font-style: italic">They were called "mox nix" sticks as many Germans(and some Americans) would pull up the wrong stick on a turn or even both sticks, hence mox nix, that is, "makes no difference" sticks.</span>

Guest ChrisSummers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aussie610</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rusty_OToole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 1931 Invicta advertised that their radiator was "mounted on rubber dog balls" !!!

SOME feature!!!! </div></div>

that would have stood out like..... eek.gif

hmmm better leave that one alone smile.gif </div></div>

I always wondered why my dog never wanted to ride in the Invicta... laugh.gif

A Kirchhoff-bodied Duesenberg built in 1933 had a commode in the rear seat, supplied by water in a tank under the trunk. The countess who ordered it wanted to tour Europe and disliked public restrooms.

She must have had a helluva turnover on chauffeurs...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olympic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Citroens not worth the money??? I think the front-wheel drive, torsion-bar auspension, unit body and graceful styling make them very collectible. </div></div>

Seeing one like that, or a DS, yes. Very technically advanced cars.

I think most Americans think of a 2CV when they think of Citroen.