Rave For American Stitches

ol' yeller

The one ugly thing on my 1990 coupe was the ratty, shredded leather steering wheel. I did a search on this forum and found American Stitches recommended by Barney. They did a fantastic job on a spare wheel I located at a wrecking yard with only a 5 day turnaround (not counting shipping). They have a discount for Reatta BCA members too. I can't wait to put the new wheel on my car but I need to search here for instructions on dealing with an airbag (a new experience for me). I know I have seen postings here in the past. If there are any gotchas that you want to share, please let me know. It would be a shame to have a beautiful steering wheel with a blown airbag!

They do a great job, thinking about a custom wheel for my new pick-up to brighten the dull interior.<P>Pull the air bag fuse.<BR>Remove the 4 torx screws on the back of the wheel that hold the air bag, disconnect the yellow air bag connection, disconnect the horn connection (push in, turn counter clockwise)<BR>Remove wheel nut, need puller for wheel.<BR>Reverse procedure.<P>While it is extremely remote that the air bag could trigger, (it takes 12v or a static discharge to the connection), don't put your face in front of it as you disconnect or remove it from the car.

Thanks Barney, Last night I looked up in my somewhat worthless New Product manual and found the procedure. They also recommend that you disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes before you begin. I will put the new wheel on today.<P>I am very pleased with these guys as they build the new wheels for some new car manufacturers. When I get to that point, I will send them the wheel for my '69 Riv to pad and cover in leather for a sharp different kind of look. It ain't cheap but little worth having is.

Guest Ranger

FYI, when the locksmith replace the ignition on my '90, their rule was to disconnect the battery and leave it alone for 1/2 hour before pulling the steering wheel. When everything went back together, the car wouldn't idle. I turned the key to the on position and left it there for 60 seconds, it resumed normal operation.<BR>Please let us know how the new wheel works out, I'm ready to replace the Walmart jelly red wheel cover on mine.<BR>Jim

I did it! Man it looks great! If I had the correct tools (a Torx bit in a socket rather than a Torx screwdriver) it would have gone faster. There isn't much clearance there. I was more than a little nervous while handling the airbag and on restart after assembly, but nothing blew-up in my face. <P>My understanding is that when the ECM loses power, it goes to default values there it stays until it "relearns" how you drive and how that particular engine functions. This is a relatively short period but someone with greater electronic skills than I would have to say how long(or even if I know what I am talking about). I would think that it would idle though. Mine restarted great. Thanks everyone for your advice.

I believe there is little to be concerned about on the airbag. All the warnings in the manual is lawyer, C.Y.A. types of statements.<P>If there were any percentage of these going off at ramdom, wouldn't that be happening when a truck load is rolling down a highway and they go over a RR crossing.<P>The explosive device needs an electrical signal....even then it might not go off if it lacked a ground.<P>Still....be careful<P>I have a '88-'89 tan wheel that was covered by American and I also have a '90-'91 grey wheel that is factory new. Both are for sale<BR>$200 each exchange or $225 outright.<p>[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: Barney Eaton ]