Packard Exterior Color

Tom M

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packard32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Here's a 1932 904 Super 8 Stationary coupe with a Dietrich body.

Look at the person in the rumble seat... must be cold there!! </div></div>

Cold!!! That was photographed at Pebble Beach! The owner of that car was my stepfather's college roommate. They both owned a sports car and a custom-bodied Packard while in college. The Packard this man had in college, he just traded it for a million-dollar Duesenberg.

Owen was kind enough to forward the Paint infomation along to the website for viewing. So you can find a copy posted in the articles area for anyone that is interested.

Thanks,

This is a 1931 standard 8 recently on a certain online auction..it didn't sell. It did not say if it was 826 or 833. Can anyone tell from the pictures? I think the green top should also be the color on the fenders. Wasn't the double set of pinstripes on the wheels for Super 8s? I think the standard 8 had only one set of pinstripes. Who can tell us that? Forgive me West, but I think this one has everything you dislike.. crazy.gif I think the worst parts of the pictures are the light pole and the RR sign. Go for it guys...B

post-48053-143137960527_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143137960532_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hey, Tom, You can't make Everyone Happy, All the time. Don't worry about it. </div></div>Yes I know that. I am just one of them type that don't like stirring the pot. But I am glad to see we are back on track even thou we all have differences of opinions. That what makes this hobby fun and interesting. Right smile.gif </div></div>

Tom,

Please realize that the dicussions were civilized and no one flamed anyone. I think everyone has contributed greatly to the discussion and no one went away mad.(at least I don't think so). This forum has been a greta source of information for me.

I may even one day may put black walls on my car but the pilot rays will never come off smile.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 33su8</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> was this trunk rack an option for a 31 with rear mounted spare? Phil </div></div>

I'm not sure if it was an original Option (probably was tho), But you Don't see many that way, that's for sure. That was the first thing I noticed when looking at the pics, also. I'd think it would require special brackets for the trunk-rack to clear the spare-tire. I doubt that the rack could be folded all the way up before hitting the wheel, without brackets that extended out further and had bump-stops at a different location. The hinge-arms appear to be different also, (outer part is much longer than inner part of hinge).

Guest imported_Speedster

I magnafied and lightened the trunk-rack area of pic, and now we can see the that rack extends forward around the spare to the bracket and the outer part of hinge is much longer. So I don't think it would fold up.

post-33516-143137960549_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

All these pictures are Great, but I just noticed that all the large graphics files Sure Slow down the download of this Thread from the server. eek.gif I hope no one is still using a Dialup connection to Internet ? sick.gif

If so, then you may be reading this Post 'Sometime Tomorrow'. laugh.gif

All these wonderful pictures wants me to grab my spray gun and start spraying some color.

Thanks all. Keep them coming.

Roadsta (Tom) I like the color blue and your name by the way smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packard32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roadsta Tom, is that Packard Blue? </div></div>

Yes, it is, at least according to the order slip (see attached file).

Also, I have attached another photo that shows the window treatment better.

Cheers,

Tom

p.s. Tom, glad the like the nickname. I'm trying to be hip grin.gif.

post-54016-143137960584_thumb.jpg

post-54016-14313796059_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

I am getting close to paint so my question is how should the Color Scheme be. I have attach a picture of my door (well part off it)labeled. Can you all help me out on the color that each letter should be painted?

These two Post #473631 and #474061 seem similar but then you have this Post #472615 from above which is different these pictures do help but which one is correct?

Thanks

post-31137-143137990331_thumb.jpg

Tom,

Thanks for the Picture that sure does help. Glad I asked because I started taping the door off the other day for the Black.

Interesting to see that the top is the same color as the belt line/reveal. So mine would be black??? Better get my body work down to the tee by then. You know how black shows every little flaw.

Wonder if I could just paint the top body color?

Pack32,

I already have a gallon (two sprayable gallons with activator) of SS Black and planned on using that for the fenders the Belt Line/Reveals etc.

Main color I am stuck between the Packard Blue and a Mahogany color that I saw on a Cadillac. The Mahogany is a nice rich color and different then all the Maroons that you see. confused.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for your input. Now that we know what the color scheme should look like. Does the black (that is what I have used for the beltline/reveals) wrap around to the inside edges of the doors or are the door edges body color?

Guest imported_Speedster

I think they look better going around the edges and corners (stops at first inside direction change) but not on the inside surfaces, but not sure how it was done originaly.

Early to mid 1930's Chrysler Product cars call for a Packard Ivory paint for wheel trim and stripe. The 1933 Chrysler Imperial Pace Car was painted Packard Ivory.

Was this a generic color? What is the earliest Packard reference to Packard Ivory? I have seen a 1939 and later paint chips but nothing earlier.

Does anyone have a crossmatch or newer paint code for this color? Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks all for your input. Now that we know what the color scheme should look like. Does the black (that is what I have used for the beltline/reveals) wrap around to the inside edges of the doors or are the door edges body color? </div></div>

Tom

There is a completely original 1932 Packard sedan in the Dayton Museum. The exterior color is/was sort of a tan color, and the door jams, door posts and sills were all semi sheen BLACK. No wraparound... the edge of the door is the end of the color. If anyone questions if this is correct, I will go take a closer look at the car, but I am almost 100% certain that it's a completely original car.