Packard Exterior Color

Tom M

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charles Neuhaus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When one ordered a custom body on a classic in the 20s or 30s the owner choose the color, so there were no "factory colors" per se. </div></div>Could one walk in with their own paint for a stock body?

This is giving me ideas on my color choice.

All thanks for posting. Keep'em coming

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What looks really odd on this car is not so much the paint, but the big ugly trunk on the back. I think it would also look better with black tires. </div></div>

I'm starting the think West doesn't like Trunks and Whitewalls !!! laugh.gif LOL

Tom

I think this has been answered, so you must be confused. Packard gave its customers the option of selecting any color they wanted, but it cost extra. There may have been cases where Packard either refused a poor selection (because they didn't want a "Packard" seen in such a gawdy color), or they may have tried to convince otherwise.

It is highly unlikely that any Packard customer would have walked in with his own paint. I don't understand why they would. They might have walked in with a piece of cloth, so that they could get Packard to match the color, but their own paint??? I doubt it.

Just remember... no whitewalls, no trunk (unless you're traveling), no driving lights, no spotlights, keep the colors dark on the bottom (preferably all one color), and make the pinstripes THIN.

(Who knows, Rick, maybe I can get everyone to think like me. And when that happens, I can rule the world laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif. I even had Ken thinking about black tires for a little while.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is one with black walls I took at the Fathers Day Car Show in Oak Brook.</div></div>

That's what I'm talking about. Yup, yup, yup.

(By the way, Tom, when it comes time to paint your bumper "bananas," they should be black, not red -- or any other color -- like they are now.)

Oh... and if you can get away with it, lose the front license plate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

(By the way, Tom, when it comes time to paint your bumper "bananas," they should be black, not red -- or any other color -- like they are now.) </div></div>That is interesting to know. I think they are all red now and some are different. We did have a chat on here awhile back about this subject. I had an no no when taking mine apart. I had one where the bolt has snap off. frown.gif

There may be a discrepency because I believe Packard used different size bumpers between the 733/833 and 734/740. Even though the "bananas" look the same, they are slightly different in size (the 745/845 used different "bananas" altogether). You could have a mixture.

We could use a couple for the 734, but I haven't yet gotten clued-in on exactly how to tell the difference, or where to get them. Then again, I haven't persued it that hard, yet.

Guest imported_Speedster

When trying to find some (I call them 'Bowties') for the 645's bumpers, I also discovered how many different ones there are. The differences are very slight, usually you can't tell the difference until you put them next to each other.

So, I found 2 that matched and put them on the back and another 2 that matched and put them on the front. No one will ever notice, since they are so similar, but not the quite the same.

I'm starting to think some are different because they are from different Production Runs, instead of only being different year models.

That car would be stunning if the fenders were painted the same color as the body. That's a cool shade of red, in fact, almost brown. I wouldn't be against adding some trim trings on the wheels.

Interesting that the "touring" bodies kept the old-fashioned carriage-type door handles. There's a 1933 touring in Dayton's Packard museum that is the same. Someone told me that the bodies were actually carried over (or the same as) previous years (1929?). ??? Don't know 'bout that, but would like to know more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I scaned thru my pics of '31s and my favorite colors are this one: (it needs a cover over the trunk to match top, tho)

</div></div>

That is the sidemount style I'm adding to my 32. As you know I already have the thread cover, so I'm very interested in how the side wheel cover will look. I think it will give a more complete look to the car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That car would be stunning if the fenders were painted the same color as the body. That's a cool shade of red, in fact, almost brown. I wouldn't be against adding some trim trings on the wheels.

Interesting that the "touring" bodies kept the old-fashioned carriage-type door handles. There's a 1933 touring in Dayton's Packard museum that is the same. Someone told me that the bodies were actually carried over (or the same as) previous years (1929?). ??? Don't know 'bout that, but would like to know more. </div></div>

This car was for sale by Steve Snyder of Vault cars. I thought the car which I saw in person was pretty nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1956Packard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I for one find this thread to be very interesting. I'd love to see more photos of 'proper' cars and improper.

BTW. 'Circus wagon' or not, if someone offered to give me the car......

Geoff </div></div>

Look here on the packards of Oregon website. Photos I took at the PI 2007 International meet.

Also here are pictures of other meets here and here and here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I even had Ken thinking about black tires for a little while.) </div></div>

Yes but they would have clashed with the green metallic flake engine paint I decided to go with smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packard32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tbird, I certainly hope you're going to do that green metallic flake engine with orange pinstripes!!!...B </div></div>

No, I don't think orange pinstripes would meet the approval of West smile.gif

Guest peter packard

G'day all, I generally agree that Packards should be painted their original colours during restoration however, sometimes we have to experiment to find out what we really like, or we are unskilled in choosing appropriate colours. I have a 533 which I purchased in 1974 to part out. I decided instead to leave the interior as I found it ( very original but a few repairs here and there in 1955), and repaint the exterior from black. I had a 733 Showroom Brochure and decided to paint the car in those colours, blissfully unaware as a 25 yo that they were not Packard colours available, but a sort of promo. It gets called "the Candy Car" and probably other names, but at least I keep her on the road and she shows a clean set of heels to quite a few equivalent cars of that era. I am attaching a copy of the showroom brochure. I suppose that I am really seeking a bit of understanding in paint choices. At least the car doesn't have a Chev small block and supercharger and Jag rear end "not that there is anything wrong with that - of course" Best regards Peter Toet P.S. I don't have a HTML for the photos so I shall have to find some other way of posting them.

Peter,

I like your choices of keeping the car mostly original. I wonder who has gone to the extent of me by using only cadmium fasteners as was correct for a 32 car. Of course then I could be taken to task for making my engine compartment over-restored as I have used more than a 1/2 cup of green paint.

Guest peter packard

I would imagine that they could not be so pedantic as to pick anyone to that extent. I have resigned myself to accept that I am not a Restorer, but a Collector. I recall putting my 1938 Six into a concours in 1975 and was picked on having tatty window fittings ( not the runners but the horizontal fittings where the window passes into the door). My friend in a 120 had removed his and puttied up the holes. He lost no points. I have had a few incidents where restorers remove items and leave them out if new ones are unavailable. I no longer participate in Concours but admire those who achieve the standard necessary to achieve success in them. Best regards Peter Toet

Guest peter packard

On the subject of 32 Packards, you have just reminded me to chase up a very low milage but much bastardised 32 Super Eight, which used to reside( in pieces) about 400 yards from my office. This car came into Australia as a 32 Super Eight Coupe and was converted when new by Flood Bodyworks to a hearse. It was sold by the Undertakers (Tobin Brothers) in the Fifties and was fitted with a roll cage inside a circa '35 Willys Coupe body, (pimple on a pumpkin stuff). Fortunately the car was never stock car raced and it ended up at this fellows place. He had late twenties Supercharged front wheel drive Alvis's and this Packard. I went up to his place when he was moving to Melbourne in 1979 and he offered me the Packard with two sets of wire wheels for $1,000. The Chassis was unmolested, the body was nov-existent, the wire wheels were good but I already had a few sets of early Packard wires. I declined and have never heard of anyone having the beast. I shall chase this one up. It's an ill wind, etc, etc, Best regards Peter Toet

Peter,

Yes, but if someone is that stongly adversed to white walls or chrome wheels as an example because even though they were not the norm when the car was built, but were available and corect if used, then why shouldn't the same people be held accountable for using stainless or zinc fasteners that are totally incorrect and were not used. when the car was built? So are fasteners not as important to keeping originality than things like wheels and trippe lights? Where do we draw the line? I live in a glass house so be careful smile.gif I'm making things probably look better than they were originally but I'm also making an attempt to recreate the original fastners. Or am I wasting my eforts since I'll probablly will enter very few judged concours shows and why worry about fasteners. From what I have seen Concours seemed to be based on quality and not acuracy. And I'm not aiming this post at anyone in particular though West may feel I aiming towards him smile.gif

I feel sometime people (and I'm guilty of this) choose the stance that resembles their current position.

Guest peter packard

G'day tbirdman, You are just trying to do what you consider is correct for the car. It would be handy to have a degree in Psychology in these forums to assist us in the "between the lines" stuff. There is nothing worse that trying very hard to achieve perfection and having it thrown back into your face. I probably prefer original cars and bikes because no-one picks things on them. My wife and I have about 50 motorbikes and a dozen Packards, we like driving and riding them, not because they are pristine, but because they are fun. I cannot advise you adequately on the fasteners, except to say that if they are plainly in view and subject to a decision on originality, then they will be scrutinised and marked accordingly. It is no different to if the Local Sheriff (we do still have constables over here, but we call them Sir). Their duty is to find some fault, after which they are satisfied, most times it is an advisory if you pass the attitude test. Concours depends on the individual marking the area and his/her intrepretation of the guidelines. Good luck with your 32, your heart appears to be in the right place. Peter Toet

Ken

I don't admonish white sidewall tires because they weren't the "norm." I just don't like the looks of them on many cars. I, in no way am trying to say that an owner can't do what they want with their car, weather it has to do with color, fasteners, or accessories. I know you know that I'm usually just kidding with a lot of my preference statements, but some people may not realize it.

Peter

I admire you for your taste in cars, and recognize that things were very much different back in the 1950s when these cars were shunned by the masses and not a lot of good information was available. I think our "slamming" of poor choice of colors is aimed more at recently done "botched" jobs.

I hope you can find that 1932 Super Eight chassis. Keep us informed.

Re whitewall tires. Some classics needed whitewalls. I once owned a 33 Rolls-Royce Phantom II limousine which came from the U.S. bodybuilder with six double-sided whitewall tires by U.S. Royal. Since the car was painted black, had it had blackwalls it would have looked like a hearse.`

Ok... back on topic guys....

Here's a 1932 904 Super 8 Stationary coupe with a Dietrich body.

I think the colors are original Packard for 1932, but used in a different combination. I think the green is Riverhead green and the body is Aztec Olivine light.

Equipped with the single, movable driving light.

Look at the person in the rumble seat... must be cold there!!

post-48053-143137960232_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

I tried to duplicate that Green on my Dietrich 645's fenders and trim. I couldn't find it at local paint stores so I mixed my own. I think it came out close enough.

The original green was just too bright for my taste, so I went with a darker green like that.

I tried to match the original Yellow as close as I could, tho.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to apologize if this thread has caused any problems. </div></div>

Hey, Tom, You can't make Everyone Happy, All the time. Don't worry about it.

I have to say, I've found this a very helpful thread. My 1207 was originally "Bronson Beige," and was repainted in 1978 with a two tone scheme -- silver body with black fenders. I don't plan to get the car repainted any time soon, as I like the idea of having old paint on the car (at least for now) that I don't have to worry about much. But this is a helpful thread as I begin to ponder what I might do when I do repaint the car.

Lately I've been thinking that I might return it to the original Bronson Beige. I also like the Pompeii Green Metallic color. (I should add that the only 1935 colors I know are from the 120 color sheet the Packard Club has posted; I don't know if the paint color offerings were different for the Twelves.)