Fog light switch

Zimmerman

Hi Michael,

For a 1941 Buick, the left side "Accessory" position is for windshield washers. The pull knob is marked "Washer". The right side "Accessory" position is for fog lights. The pull knob is marked "Fog Light". Both of these knobs are very hard to find. The fog light switch is also unique, in that it is a two position switch. A switch from the heater or defroster could be used, however, these switches have several positions to control the fan motor speed. I don't know of a suitable subsitute for the windshield washer switch (actually a valve). I believe these two pull knobs are also used postwar, but the vertical dimension is slightly greater by (I would guess) 0.010". Thus, if you find postwar knobs, you will need to carefully remove a little material from the bottom side of the pull knob. Keep in mind that the hole in the dash panel is tapered. Other parts of the 1941 washer system are also hard to find, as the prewar parts are slightly different than the more common postwar bits and pieces. In general, installing windshield washers is more trouble than it is worth. Good parts hunting!

Grandpa

Hi Michael (again),

If you want to installed Guide fog lights or Guide driving lights (recommended), I suggest that you check with the following person to see what he has available:

James Wallace

16438 Gilmore St.

Van Nuys, CA 91406

Home: 818-785-7246

If you call, Jim is in his 80s and is a little hard of hearing. His hobby is restoring vintage accessory lights. He is a nice guy with fair prices for restored lights.

Grandpa

Guest imported_Thriller

Thanks for the info Grandpa...I learned something about my car today, seeing as I believe I have neither of those accessories on my 41SE (I know I don't have the lights...pretty sure I don't have the washer, but not absolutely certain).

Hi Michael,

I wanted to pass along a little more information about the 1941 Buick fog light switch. The original Buick fog light switch has terminals for the tail lights. In 1941, some states did not permit fog lights to be on at the same time as the headlights. Thus, for these states, the power source for the fog lights is from the parking light terminal on the headlight switch. The tail lights are then wired to the fog light switch. With this wiring arrangement, the fog lights can only be operated when the parking lights are turned on. In my 1941, I obtain the power for the fog lights from the +6 Volt therminal of the head light switch. So in my car, I can operate the fog lights without having to turn on another circuit. I have this arrangement so that I can have the fog lights on during the day to increase the likelyhood of being seen by other cars.

Grandpa