The astounding Doble

Guest Hinckley

Guest Hinckley

I have had a fascination with steam since my father made a small two cylinder engine for me. Since that time I have read with fascination about the early steam cars and have attended numerous steam events.

Though I was aware of the Doble it was the recent article in the January 2008 Hemmings Classic car that really fired me up. This car was astounding.

In a search for more information I discovered a great article by Jay Leno, owner of a Doble, and a fascinating British site. I added a link to both on my blog, www.route66chronicles.blogspot.com.

The British site was of particular interest as it featured all manner of steam power including vintage and modern. The latter section was a stunning discovery as I was unaware how many folks are playing with steam, including the conversion of a Hupmobile, a 1966 Chevy and even a moped.

• 1 year later...
Guest Orphanauto

you can go to Jay Lenos garage web site, and see him talk about the Doble. It is so interesting. I'd love to make something like that.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There is a company in England that is makeing a "kit" a replica of a 1902 Locomobile. Good idea! Why why why can't somebody remake the great Doble? It really was a great car! Anyone who has done some research would agree. It was a great car in the thirties, can you imagine if ingineers stuck to that design and kept improving even more?! Is anyone out there diplucating it or trying?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...