Ordering a new 1963, 1964 and 1965 Riviera

lrlforfun

OK Riviera People: It's fun to dream, so, if I could pick my favorite color combo when ordering a new '63, '64, and '65 Riviera (assuming I could put every option available on them) here's what it would be....

1963 Burgundy/custom, white leather, wire caps

1964 Turquiose/custom, white vinyl, wire caps

1965 Dark blue/custom, white vinyl, wire caps

What would be your choice? Let's hear from the Riviera lovers. Mitch

The first Riv I saw was in Sept of '62 when I was 16. It was under a car cover at the dealership where my dad had worked for many a moon. It hooked me on Rivieras for the next 45 years and I'm still hooked.

It was Spruce Green with silver leather.

It had the cast aluminum wheel covers w/ the stainless knock offs, which are truly mesmerizing when you watch them turn.

IMHO, it's still the best looking 1st generation Riv I've ever seen. I was given a 1/25th model shortly thereafter and I painted it to match.

I'd replicate that car in a heartbeat with my '63 if I didn't have the window sticker for it (it's black with white leather.) If I ever buy another '63, it WILL be spruce green with silver interior.

Ed

Black on black. (1963) (1964)

having said that I have located a 63 project car that is an undetermined color exterior and silver leather interior. Silver leather? How cool is that?

Options wise I would order the custom interior.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nimrod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">black on black </div></div>

So many of the colors are cool, but I'd have to agree with nimrod on the black on black. We always order our daily drivers in black on black.

My all time favorite for '64 would have to be Coral Mist with Black interior. I found a nice one this past fall ('06), which will be restored later this year. Look for it at the '09 ROA International Meet!

Al,

Coral mist? Is that bronze or blue. If you can add a photo that would be great.

I think the best overall interior color is saddle. I miss saddle in todays bland options.

Black on black is just classic because I always imagined early Rivs being purchased by fedora and trenchcoat wearing guys with a lot of class and dignity.

BJM:

Here's a couple photos of Ray Schlageter's coral mist '64 that I took at the ROA meet in Eureka Springs...

100_0348.jpg

100_0349.jpg

The best way I could describe it is it's a "peach/pink" color. According to Darwin's "Options Not Included: 1964" Riview article, there were only 645 of these cars produced (1.71% of production), making this the most rare color for '64 (aside from a special order). It's the type of color that you could easily imagine seeing in Florida or California. To me, a coral mist body with a black deluxe interior (+ dual quads, optional aluminum wheels, power vents, etc.) is sweet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoneberg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"We always order our daily drivers in black on black."

You dont live in the south then, you get into a car that has sat in the sun all day and you would cook.

Mine is the Bronze Mist with the Saddle interior, just like my wife's car.</div></div>

Nope, I live in the frozen tundra - land of beer, cheese and rust. Ha!

Guest wildcat62

This is a fun one.

63 Rose Mist with a white interior. (Have to agree with Al that color or the shade very close is awfully pretty)

64 Black on Black. Dual quads of course.

65 Verde Green with saddle interior. GS option.

Someone needs to create a site like Vehix for our older vehicles where you can choose color combos.

OK, let's see what I would do . . .

'63, Black on Black leather with A/C and turbines and a 425.

'64, Silver on saddle, KX motor and turbines and ALL the option boxes checked.

'65 Astro Blue with white interior, LX motor, non GS car with road wheels and side trim.

Those would be nice!

Tim

OK Riviera People: Let's expand this thread a tad more. As 99% of you already know the "Custom" interiors feature that wood piece on the doors. 63 has a circle, 64 and 65 an "R". Power vents have the switch on the panel along with the power window one making for a cleaner appearance.

NOW.........is it worth (remember, this is all fantasy) substituting a manual rear view mirror so as to keep the wood piece looking very clean knowing the lever that operates the remote clutters the look of the wood?

Also,were there any other appearance options (other than color choice which is the topic of this thread) that would change the look of the Riviera besides ww tires, wheel treatment, rite remote mirror and tinted glass?

And this weekend, while driving my 64 with a wood wheel I banged up my fingers with the horn button. The standard wheel is more functional but doesn't hold a candle to the wood one for looks.

By the way, that Coral Mist is really nice on a super pristine car. Mitch

When I was a child i saw a 63 black on black riviera on a buick showroom floor in,yes,the early 70's.the car belongs to the owner of the dealership.He has passed away but his wife still has it and is in the dealer's garage.I restored one just like it in the late 80's.In the early 90's came across a 1965 black on black GS Riviera.In 2001,I bought a local 65 Riviera white,motor locked up,sheep wool covered seats,and three hubcaps.I"ordered"(restored the car)it the way i wanted it.Black on black with the rallye wheels.

Jeff Mealer

Mt. Juliet,TN

1965 Buick Riviera

1960 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

1965 Pontiac Bonneville 003.JPG

Al,

Thanks for the Coral Mist photos. I had no idea, was off on the wrong tangent. But now that I see it, yea, it's looks like Coral. What a color, very nice and Saddle interior combo would be best, some wood in there too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tim63riv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, let's see what I would do . . .

'63, Black on Black leather with A/C and turbines and a 425.

'64, Silver on saddle, KX motor and turbines and ALL the option boxes checked.

'65 Astro Blue with white interior, LX motor, non GS car with road wheels and side trim.

Those would be nice!

Tim </div></div>

Well Tim, at least you got 75% of what you wanted on the 63.

For me:

63 Silver with silver leather, custom interior of course. Tubine wheel covers, 425 and everything the factory and the dealer could put on.

64 Coral mist with white custom interior and 2 4 bbls on the engine and load it to the hilt.

65 a GS of course, loaded naturaly. but color is harder to nail down, my present car is Sahara mist/Saddle. I love the Verde green, Midnight blue, Black and Bamboo cream. this one would a tough choice.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrlforfun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Also,were there any other appearance options (other than color choice which is the topic of this thread) that would change the look of the Riviera besides ww tires, wheel treatment, rite remote mirror and tinted glass?

And this weekend, while driving my 64 with a wood wheel I banged up my fingers with the horn button. The standard wheel is more functional but doesn't hold a candle to the wood one for looks.

</div></div>

In 1965, the factory folks made those changes. They hid the head lights, put the tail lights in the bumper, and removed the "vents" from the side of the body.

To keep the horn bar on the wooden steering wheel from cracking at the hub, it's a good practice to use the tip of your index or middle finger to push up from behind rather than down on the front with your thumb. You put less pressure on the bar so pushing up doesn't create the stress that cracks the bar at the hub. If you have the four note horn option, it's fun to practice this at any time.

Ed

This is a fun one.

63 Rose Mist with a white interior. (Have to agree with Al that color or the shade very close is awfully pretty)

64 Black on Black. Dual quads of course.

65 Verde Green with saddle interior. GS option.

Here is your 65 ! My choice would be 65 GS - Black with Black Cloth and Black (only color available ) vinyl top and LOADED - Gee , I had one like this and sold it ???????

post-30636-143137960146_thumb.jpg

Guest musclecarfan65

hi danny.

i presume your post is in the wrong topic.

on ordering i forgot to be more detailed:

a 65 rivi GS with black interior (as mine) witch black exterior which creates a nice contrast to the chrome. i would also order all extras including the power vent windows, the passenger exterior mirror and the rear window heater (which is needed here in germany for sure). maybe i could order the rivi with some kind of "police option package" (search lights and modified engine)??? :-)

• 2 years later...
Guest rayvaflav
BJM:

Here's a couple photos of Ray Schlageter's coral mist '64 that I took at the ROA meet in Eureka Springs...

100_0348.jpg

100_0349.jpg

The best way I could describe it is it's a "peach/pink" color. According to Darwin's "Options Not Included: 1964" Riview article, there were only 645 of these cars produced (1.71% of production), making this the most rare color for '64 (aside from a special order). It's the type of color that you could easily imagine seeing in Florida or California. To me, a coral mist body with a black deluxe interior (+ dual quads, optional aluminum wheels, power vents, etc.) is sweet!

Greetings, I just joined the AACA a couple of days ago and did some digging around and saw these two photos and am proud to say "Hey, that's my car !". I have owned this car for about 10 years, purchased from the 85 year old second owner (the original owner was the sellling dealer's wife who instead of getting a new Buick each year, kept this '64 until 1970) and it goes everywhere. It is Coral Mist with White Custom interior, a/c, p/w, p/seat, rear armrest, p/trunk release, Guidematic, AM/FM, wood wheel, cornering lamps, cast aluminum spinner wheelcovers, 4-note horn, Electro-Cruise, rear limited slip and soon to be installed power vent windows. I missed the past few ROA Nationals but plan on being at Branson in 2011 .

Ray