Edmunds intake

looz nutz

Not to fear....they are out there - I saw 2 at Hershey this year, but what you really want to hear is that casting company in El Paso is advertising they make them. I have NO personal experience with this company, so you should consider checking with others with personal experience if the manifold is not in stock. There is a lot of hearsay out there regarding this company.

Didn't we just have a thread on this? Some guy had one and wasn't sure what it fit? A search thru the old posts might turn it up, I think it was last summer.

Be prepared to pay thru the nose. The last Edmunds manifold I saw for an inline flathead was for a Chrysler six, it went on Ebay for almost $400 bucks. I shudder to think what one for a Packard would be worth.

There are alternatives. Such as using a single 4 barrel manifold off a slightly newer Packard.

Or you could weld up your stock manifold and make it a 2 carb or 3 carb.

From the standpoint of performance and practicality the single 4 barrel would be best, but multi carbs look cooler.

I know for performance and practicallity the four barrel would work the best, but when you open the hood and see a shining intake manifold with two carbs and an aluminum head you just can't stop saying WOWOWOWOOWOW!. I will keep hunting. I got a hold of a four barrel manifold here from Ak. I will see wich route to take. I have a VS57 that I will try and install as well. That is the reason why I'm thinking of going four barrell. Well thanks to all who responded.

If you use a VS57 you don't need a 4 barrel. The blower makes the 2 barrel act like a 4 barrel.

In 1957 Studebaker had 3 289 V8s, 225HP 2 barrel carb, 250HP 4 barrel carb and 275HP with a VS57 McCulloch supercharger. The 275 HP model was the 225HP 2 barrel plus a blower, believe it or not.

The one advantage to using a 4 barrel is you can tune the front 2 barrels to work with no boost then richen up just the back barrels for when you kick the blower in.

Thanks for the info fellows. I will ck to see if the head is workable. What should the clearance be if it is not straight? I know with the new cars it shoulw be no more than .003 of an inch. Does anybody know what the name of the company in Texas that is making the heads and intake manifolds? I shure would like to see their web site if they got one. Thanks Ed.

• 3 weeks later...

What a lot of guys are doing is modifying a stock manifold by welding on flanges to mount 2 more carburetors. There are a couple of guys doing this for Chrysler products. By that I mean they make up the modified manifolds and sell them.

No reason you couldn't do the same on your Packard.

Yeah I can do that but I was thinkign of making it out of aluminum. I have a frind who is a certified welder and he said he will help me out. I just dont know how good it will work. I will do my own headers as well. You see the motor that Im build is going in to a street rod. Not to offend any restores here. I wanted something different and I got the motor for free so it worked out ok. Any body here know of any modifications that will make this motor more of a beast than what allready is? Thanks Ed.

I saw a triple carburetor set on Ebay for 356, 327 this week, it was just three 2-barrel carburetors, the center carburetor had the choke assembly, the others were without. Has anyone heard of this set up?

Hi. Newbie here. I found your site while trying to identify an intake manifold. I own an auto wrecking yard and this Edmunds intake came with a group of 40's Chryslers. (Since sold) DSC_0023.jpgDSC_0021.jpg

If you know what it fits, let me know?

Thanks!!

-Joe

post-55221-143137962617_thumb.jpg

post-55221-143137962648_thumb.jpg

It's not factory but that is the usual setup for 3 deuces. Not only are the chokes removed from the end carbs but the throttle plates are replaced with thicker ones. They have to seal tight.

This is for when you use a progressive throttle linkage. You run on the middle carb normally and only kick in the end carbs for extra power. Sort of like the secondaries of a 4 barrel.

Well got a hold of an Edmunds intake manifold on Ebay for 425 bucks. The same fellow sold a head for over 2000 dollars!!! Wooow. Wish I had the money to had bought the head as well. Oh well them is the breaks. Will keep looking for the head now.