1926 Packard Eight Phaeton for sale

1926 Packard 236 Phaeton. Powerful Eight cylinder 5-passenger open car with a Mitchell overdrive and 4.27 rear end. Recent engine rebuild. Perfect mechanical condition. Car has been driven many thousands of reliable miles all over New York and New England. Well sorted out mechanically. Older restoration (1980's when it received new paint and leather) that is holding up well. Nice mild patina of careful enjoyment. Terrific tour car. Has full side curtains and demountable tonneau windshield. Has correct carburetor, vacuum tank, distributor, Skinner Rectifier, and all other components. Not a trailer queen. This car is for someone who wants one of the best wind-in-your-hair driving experiences the 1920’s had to offer. $97,000 Scott Dwyer, Troy, New York. dwyers@rpi.edu

post-36765-143137958599_thumb.jpg

Re "The one from out west looks like a circus wagon the way it's painted." and "I can't believe Packard ever used orange on a car".

Gentlemen please have a look in the Owner Registry over on Packardinfo.com. The last car listed, a '27 533, has a similar colour scheme although turned around a bit. The comments on the colours selected is "have re- ducoed the exterior in a 733 showroom brochure colour." It appears that these are Packard colours.

Hi- I believe that the high dollar cars could be had in just about any color available, assuming you wanted to pay the custom price, and one sees a lot of three tone treatments as you peruse the catalogs of the late 20's. One has to be careful, however, as most of those are drawings or paintings, and as such may be artist's misconceptions, not real cars. Then as today, while you might see bright colors in a catalog, the majority of buyers invariably choose the more sedate color schemes. Look around you on the streets, there is little color these days. David Coco Winchester Va.

I think the brochures and magazine ads were very colorful to attract attention to the ad, but no cars were actually painted those colors. If they were, I'd have to see the original paint on the car to believe it.

The original owner of my car was 60 when he bought it in 1932. He worked at a bank in New York. I can't see him riding around in an orange and silver circus wagon!!!

The original colors of my car were Bonaventure green body with Riverhead green fenders.

...B

G’day all, Well, Mal has gone into bat for me with the colours of my 533 in Packard info.Com , Owners Registry. I agree with most of the posts in that the showroom brochures were “Artists Impressions”, designed to catch the eye, but very few people ever went for anything but conservative colours. The Custom bodied Packard’s often sported bright colours but they were an expensive rarity. Turnquist’s book on “the Packard Story” shows some colour charts of combinations available for the 1920’s and has a good section on colours and the introduction of metallic paints.

I have a copy of a Packard Advertisement for a 526 in the April 24, 1928 Australasian, and you can see the copper highlights on the bonnet. The colour is almost identical to the wheels of the 236 for sale. I have a large number of copies of original Packard delivery documents from Kellow-Falkiner (the Southern Australian Packard, Rolls-Royce, Bentley Dealer) and quite a number of the dockets say “paint to be same colour as Bentley” (or some other car) in showroom. I have seen some of the original 1920’s colours of our cars and some were daring to say the least.

I have copped a fair bit of flak for painting the car the colour that I have, but in 1974 many of these were going to the crushers. I have done my bit in preserving original Packard’s and someone can always repaint it the original coal-tar black when I am gone.

I consider that paint is akin to make-up, it is designed to reflect the wishes of the owner. Paint is similar to make-up in that it can be readily changed if desired.

Best Regards, Peter Toet

• 5 months later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZondaC12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He gave me a ride in this packard! Wow! Very very nice, extremely smooth and I felt like I was sitting on top of a bus or something, its HUGE! </div></div>

I'm admittedly jealous. My boat of cash seems to have been lost somewhere as well, but it is nice to dream.