1965 Fuel pump

Guest Mohogs

Hey guys,

Was thinking of converting to an electric fuel pump for better efficiency. Does anybody have any experience with this type of conversion and if so, what make and model of fuel pump was used?

John

1965 Buick Riviera Custom.

Add it to the original pump, don't replace it. Put it close to the tank, as low as possible and run it to the mechanical one. No more gas than you're going to deliver, you can use one that moves a lesser CFM volume of fuel. If possible, get one with a built in fuel pressure regulator. Make sure you read the directions that come with it as to where to pick up your 12V source.

There are lots to choose from, good luck.

Ed

What would be the benefit of putting an electric pump infront and a mechanical one working together. And is it worth the money to do so?

John

1965 Buick Riviera Custom

For me, I guess it's two-fold. First, the electric pump is a pusher, and it's a long ways from the tank/electric pump location to the carb. Running them inline allows the electric pump to push fuel from the tank to the mechanical pump while the mechanical pump is pulling from the tank and pushing to the carb. Secondly, electric pumps are prone to failure more than electric pumps, as long as there's a current going to the pump, it's working; even when the engine isn't running. Leaving the mechanical pump in-line gives you a safety valve. It's also easier in that the fuel line from the carb is already plumbed to the mechanical pump. Installing the electric pump therefore requires nothing more than mouning it inline close to the tank. That's the way it was explained to me, and I guess I never questioned it based on the reputation of the guy who told me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys,

Was thinking of converting to an electric fuel pump for better efficiency. Does anybody have any experience with this type of conversion and if so, what make and model of fuel pump was used?

John

1965 Buick Riviera Custom. </div></div>

I'm not sure what "better efficiency" you are after here. A properly functioning stock mechanical pump works fine for most situations. It does not consume significant energy and it is designed to deliver fuel at a good pressure for the old style carb with needle valves.

If your engine needs fuel in larger volumes or at higher pressure than the mechanical fuel pump can deliver, you might need an electric pump.

I have seen instances where the high pressure of an added electric fuel pump actually reduced fuel economy and made the engine run poorly, until a pressure regulator was added to reduce the fuel pressure going into the carb.

My dad used to leave our '63 Riviera parked for months at a time between driving it. He added an electric fuel pump to that car to fill the carb back up with fuel when he wanted to start it after a long sit. Then he did not have to wait for the mechanical pump to refill the carb with engine cranking. (The battery usually had little juice left in it after sitting all that time either, so cranking for very long was not an option.)

Adding the electric pump made sense in that case. He wired it up to a push button switch and only ran it for a minute or two before starting the car. He did not leave it on all the time the engine was running. The mechanical pump pulled fuel through the electrical pump just fine.

I removed the electric fuel pump years ago because I don't need it; I try not to let the car sit for long periods between drives. smile.gif

I recommend you not add one. You don't really need it.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll give you the specs of my riv and you let me know what u think. 401 rebuilt bored .30 over with high performance parts including cam, pistons lifters and so on. 750 CFM elelbrock carb, msd ignition, soon to add an msd distributor designed for the nailhead accompanied by a 6AL box, Sanderson headers running to two mufflers, electric fan with 185 degree setting, 700r4 trasmission with overdrive, 3.42 in the rear.

John

1965 Buick Riviera Custom