Coolant leak - 64 Riv

Conroy

I'm really getting frustrated. Last year I completely detailed my engine compartment. Incuding replacing all the hoses and hose clamps. I have had an agravating leak on the heater hoses ever since. The connection from the heat cut-off valve to the heater core and both connections at the heater core were a problem. It has come and gone, most of the time just an annoying drip. I used correct size and type hoses from Advanced Auto Parts, along with correct tower type hose clamps from CARS. When the leak first showed up shortly after replacement I just started tightening the clamps. During the past cruise night season it appeared that the leaks had stopped for good; no more drips, no more coolant loss. I drove the car for the last cruise night on the second Saturday of October. Here in Illinois it was pretty cool on that night, about 50 degrees. That is cooler weather than I usually drive in. That morning after, I garaged the car for the winter. I noticed a trail of coolant from under the hose connections at the heater core, trailing back to the rear tire. That is the largest leak I have had. I feel like the clamps are as tight as I dare. I could not see anything else that would cause the leak. I suspect the extreme between operating temps and ambient temps had something to do with it, but obviously they are suposed to hold no matter what the temp. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

ROA 9249

Hi,

Just a suggestion. I don't even remember if the situation I had once was with factory clamps or aftermarket. But I did tighten too far, and the tube kinked, that is, lost its round shape, and the depressed kink allowed blow-by, even though the hose looked tight and the kink was not visible from outside.

Disconnect your hose ends, and check the tubes, which can be rounded again with inserting a cone to create the shape again.

Good luck!

Thanks guys. Those are good ideas. I have wondered if I might have over tightened the clamps, deforming the tubing but I thought I was being pretty careful not to. I guess it wouldn't hurt to take them off and check it out.