Packard 12 cylinder PT boat engine

carbking

• 4 years later...

Jon CarbKing:

Well, it's only 4 years, but I did find your question here via search engine.

Did you get the information you needed on the 4m2500 carb? If not, advise. I have a couple of complete engines and a brand new spare carb, along with manuals: operating and parts. What else do/did you need to find out?

Steve

Jon CarbKing:

Well, it's only 4 years, but I did find your question here via search engine.

Did you get the information you needed on the 4m2500 carb? If not, advise. I have a couple of complete engines and a brand new spare carb, along with manuals: operating and parts. What else do/did you need to find out?

Steve

Steve - thanks for the reply. Yes, I have info on both the aircraft Holley used on the Packard PT and the Holley DD-5 marine carbs.

Jon.

There is a PT boat with a Packard engine undergoing restoration here in Portland, OR. Here's the web site

You may want to contact them for information.

Great site, TBirdman, especially check out the Packard Sound video, bub-bub bub-bub-bub-bub... wish they'd have hit the throttles and let all-hell break loose! WRaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! (I love the sound of big engines on the water)

Speaking of Holley carbs, I've wondered why they were favored by Ford (and particuarly the T-Bird, but so few other auto manufacturers? I had the second-last one, a 4-barrel on my '84 Capri ('85 was the last year). It was simple to hop up, delivered great mileage on the 302 V8, and I think blew an enrichment valve once, but that was it. Why was everyone so hot on Carters, Rochesters, et al?

(this is OT as heck, except that the PT marine Packards used Holley.)

GM liked Rochesters because they owned them. The independents liked Carter because GM didn't own them (no need to fatten the competition). Ford did have a financial interest in Holley, did they not? AMC was partial to Holley's for some years.

I've always considered Carter the best of the lot, especially in the quality of the diecast alloy.

[quote name=

Speaking of Holley carbs' date=' I've wondered why they were favored by Ford (and particuarly the T-Bird, but so few other auto manufacturers? I had the second-last one, a 4-barrel on my '84 Capri ('85 was the last year). It was simple to hop up, delivered great mileage on the 302 V8, and I think blew an enrichment valve once, but that was it. Why was everyone so hot on Carters, Rochesters, et al?

What era? teens? 30's? 50's? 70's? other?

Jon.

What era? teens? 30's? 50's? 70's? other?

Jon.

I can only speak for my lifetime of being aware of cars. When I was in my 10's back in the mid-sixties, Holley carbs were legendary. I have always remembered that, but I saw few of them during my underhood years of about '70 to present. I think Owen answered it pretty well. Holley wasn't known for being the most technologically sophisticated, or maybe the "craftsmanship" wasn't up to perfection, but they were a widely available, decent, and as I recall quite fuel efficient setup. Simplicity isn't always a detriment!

As for Rochester, I think the over-used and misunderstood term "Quadra-Bog" referring the the Quadrajet, which when set up right doesn't "bog" any more than any other maladjusted carb, was a reason that they fell into disfavor.

Since this is a Packard forum, and the later Packard V8s (post-Stromberg) had both Rochester and Carter carbs, I think there is room for quite a bit of discussion here. I would like to see some kind of cross-reference between Packard 4-barrel V8 manifolds and available carburetors of today, instead of the usual vague discussion of "well, I modified the manifold this way and put on a Edelbrock and an XYZ spacer and it works pretty good."

Carbs can make or break mileage and driveability more than any other single component except maybe the cam, yet even jet size and tuning of stock carbs on V8 Packards (or other models) seems to be discussed very little. I'll take this to a new thread.