Thank you, nice gesture.

Jay Wolf

Bill and I agree it was nice. And we do think that Hulon also should get a big thank you for all he has done this year. As well as the other officers and directors.

But honestly, for Bill and I, we would rather see the money that was spent on the printing and mailing dontated to a charity (or charities). There are so many people in need, and this time of year is very hard for families trying to provide a nice Christmas for their child/children. And truthfully, after most people read the letter, it will go into recycle or the trash.

I got mine yesterday as I was out of town for Thanksgiving. I thought it was a nice gesture but like shoprat, thought the money for postage could have been used in a better way. Wen you figure all the judges that judged this year time the postage, is a rather large chunk of change. Again, it was a nice gesture and was appericated.

I did not want to be the first to say anything negative, but I guess I can now go ahead.

I recycled my letter as soon as I read it. I agree that it was a nice gesture and I really appreciate what Hulon has done this year, but, AACA does not need to waste any postage or printing on me.

I enjoy judging, and I think that the judges recognition program is sufficient thanks. Lack of a thank you letter won't keep me away in the future. Save all of the postage and printing costs and spend them on the Museum or Library or other AACA programs.

True, but if these kind of acts keep people from dropping out of the judging program where would AACA be without it??

We need all of the judges that we have, and in the eyes of many, a simple thank you like that can go a long way when it pertains to retaining our judges.

After 21 years in the Army, the higher ups were always pushing for the leadership to keep pushing for retention to keep people in. With that in mind, I am very much familiar with retention programs. Although the costs were minimal, usually the results paid larger dividends. You really can't expect to attract new people to the judging program if you can't retain the judges that you already have.

I highly doubt that receiving that letter from Hulon at the end of the show season is going to upset people enough to where they're going to drop out of the judging system. Am I right on this?? Is there anyone out there who is so upset at Hulon's letter to where you'll never judge again??

If Hulon's letter shows one judge that they are appreciated to the point where they decide to keep judging rather than getting out, then it has paid a dividend to AACA. If the letter keeps more people in, then the dividend gets larger.

Don't get me wrong, I do fully understand about the money being spent, but everyone should take a step back and look at things from a bigger picture. Hulon did what no one else has done during my time as a judge, and to me it shows a person who cares about his judges who is looking at the long term future of AACA.

Does that mean that we all need letter like this every year???

NO!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Is there anyone out there who is so upset at Hulon's letter to where you'll never judge again??</div></div>

Not upset at all. I was only pointing out how hard it is, especially this time of year, for families. And maybe because I work with <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Secret Santa Foundation, Inc. </span></span> here in the Charleston, W. Va. area I guess I know about how widespread that need is here. Every time there are lay-offs/jobs lost we gain kids in need and lose sponsors for those kids. Our group alone will match sponsors with 2,100 kids this year. And that is JUST our group. There are many others (ie. Salvation Army, Mountain Mission, Union Mission and churchs) that cover other kids.

I like Shoprat, am working with a family in need through my Sunday school class. We helped them last Christmas and we're helping again this year. Two under 10 children being taken care of by grandparents that can't make ends meet. Mom and Dad are out of the picture. One is a drug addict, the other in prison. Grandma was diagnosed with cancer about a month and half ago. She passed away two weeks ago. We provided Thanksgiving dinner for them and we're planning the same for Christmas along with some presents for the kids and aid for the grandfather.

I'm not knocking Hulon for sending the letters. Like I said before, it was a thoughtful gesture.

What would have been nicer would have been a personal thank you from each of the regions, were have judged throughout the year. Again, it’s expensive to mail all of them for all the meets. But there's another way. As a car owner, you typically drive on the show field, get your dash plaque, and the region member thanks you for bringing out your car to the meet. That's personal contact from a region member to participant. Currently, as a judge you and the other 100++ judges, get thanked at the Judge's Breakfast. Rather impersonal in comparison. As a judge, this year we had team captain evaluation forms. Near Judge's Admin, station a region member with the box to collect them from the TEAM MEMBERS not the team captain (as a team captain one might be tempted to peek at them and not turn in the bad comments on themselves). As they turn in the sheets, thank them for helping with judging that day. You could station someone else along the line for Judge's Admin to take care of the team captains.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: novaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

As a judge, this year we had team captain evaluation forms. Near Judge's Admin, station a region member with the box to collect them from the TEAM MEMBERS not the team captain (as a team captain one might be tempted to peek at them and not turn in the bad comments on themselves). </div></div>

A comment on only this issue and not to derail the orginal thread.

I was a Team Captain at Hershey. I planned ahead and took an envelope. I had my assistant take up the forms while I was tallying the sheets, place them in the envelope and seal it. I think that judges should feel free to truthfully evaluate the Team Captain. (Sure someone could do that and still open the envelope when they get out of sight.) Maybe they could mix your suggestion and mine.

Now back to the orginal subject.

Hulon's letter was well received here. The postage is simply a cost of doing business and is budgeted to support the judging program. It is the effort on Hulon's part that made it happen and it is genuine and heart-felt. The program is only as good as the individual judges can make it, and Hulon's letter tells me he understands and appreciates that. See you at Philly.

Terry

At Hershey my team had one for each member. I did notice that some Captains only dropped one or two into the box. So I am not sure if that is all they got or if that is the number of judges that elected to fill them out.

We had gone to New Bern and I saw how it was done then with no envelopes. Our Captain was good. But I still felt that what we wrote should be private. So that is why I took an envelope along with me to Hershey.

Terry, Please understand none of us are critizing or questioning Hulon's actions in any way. It was very nice to be sure.

Myself, and a few others, are only saying that we feel that the money would be a big help to people that are truly in need of help.

I for one would be very pleased to see in <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">The Judge</span></span> that a donation was made to (whatever charity and wherever he decided to make it since judges come from all over) as a thank you to all the judges and administrators.

Just a suggestion for the future.

No I understand Susan, and don't think I'm condemning you or anyone else for your statements either. Both sides of this are very valid, but my only concern is knitpicking something that is coming from the heart of someone who genuinely cares.

The last thing that I would ever want to see is for Hulon to get left with a bad taste in his mouth for getting criticized for doing what he thought was an honorable thing.

If an act of kindness gets ridicule rather than praise, then the kind acts may not come again.

As I've said before, if a $1 thank you letter (envelope, letter & stamp) keeps our number of judges up, that is a very small price to pay. For some of us, the letter has no bearing on what we'll do or won't do, but there are some out there who it means a lot to. Obviously Hulon cared enough where he felt that it was needed.

Just following some comments on the thread. Please do not take this wrong but sometimes when someone takes the initiative to do something nice can't we just say thanks and let it go? Isn't that also what the season is all about? Hulon sent this out on his own and if you noticed there were regular stamps on it and not through our regular headquarter's processing.

I agree it is very nice to be giving as there are so many people in need BUT it is also nice to say thank you to those of you who serve at great expense to yourselves. I think everyone in the club is worth a $.41 stamp (well, maybe not me)!

The team captain evaluation form is suppose to be confidential and one per member of the team. They are to be handed into administration as far as I know. Since this is a new program there has been some confusion this year.

Happy Holidays!

Guest windjamer

I understand Susan's point but I also agree with ex 98 and Jim Bolman well as others. In 2004 my club Iroquois Region, Windsor and Owego started planing for a Nat Meet. Long story short we voted to donate the proceeds to Hershey.In 2006 our area was devastated with flood. We still have FEMA TRLS. here and many many destroyed homes. Some floated off the foundation and down the river!! A local church Conklin Pres. provided over 20000 meals and organized the removal of tons and dons of house hold trash and what ever. My club gave a donation of $500.to the Church. This month at our meeting we voted to give an additional $500. I am very proud of my club, we also plan to make a large donation to Hershey. I love the AACA, but would rather see a smaller donation to Hershey and just a little more for our local hunger outreach. Back to the letters, I will put mine with my judging board and give Hulan a big thumbs up. I learned a long time ago a man will remember a pat on the back or thank you job well done, he spends a extra buck fast as he gets it.

Hey Wayne, clean this up for me if you have time.

Dick

• 1 month later...