!922 engine #'s

jbbuick22

Guest DaveCorbin

Dera JB:

You are correct that 856901 was issued to a 1922 Model 55. Buick factory records would indicate that the engine # 880327 is most probably the original engine. 834843 is probably a 1922 model 48 engine, which is the same bore & stroke as a 55. According to the factory information, 853514 should be a 4 cylinder engine, but it's right at the break point to a block of 6 cylinder engines, so if it measures correctly, I would think it's ok too.

I would think you should use the highest engine number you can. Buick wasn't real great about inventory rotation then, so quirks happened.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear JB:

Our friends at Buick learned how to cast aluminum real early on, certainly by 1908. They had a metals lab by then, courtesy of chief engineer Walter L. Marr. I would think they learned to weld aluminum at Buick by 1910, as I've seen a patch job that was almost certainly factory done on a 1910 Buick.

Depending on the quality of the weld, it shouldn't be a problem. When you dis-assemble the engine, have the crankcase scanned with ultrasonic and you'll be sure. Some hand grinding and a little sandblasting, and the repair will be undetectable.

Regards, Dave Corbin