Reatta Redux

It seems to me that the Reatta failed because it did not offer the right mix of performance/luxury to its price. Also, the General was not committed to two seaters so they canned the Allante, Fiero, and Reatta leaving only the Corvette. The Corvette, MR2 and Miata as well as other two seaters have been succesful so there is a market out there.<P>So why not take an 88-89 Reatta and:<P>address the performance part by dropping in a SC 3800 Series II and HD tranny with some bolt on upgrades. (Smaller pulley, K&N filter and free flow exhaust.)<P>in the space where the CRT resdes install an LCD touchscreen to control climate, engine functions, stereo with the addition of satellite radio, CD changer, MP3's; and GPS.<P>Could a 88-89 Reatta be bought, upgraded, and sold at a profit for $20,000. Do you think that anyone would be interested at the price point?

Is possible the second and subsequent ones could, but not the first one, just too many unknowns. For example to replace the CRT with an LCD touchscreen you would first need to know the I/O since it would still need to accept the same data stream.<P>Next, you would need a "crate" 3800s/c &4T65E transmission and integrated ECU - to justify $20k or better, you would need a new drivetrain, not one from a yard.<P>Finally, you would still have an '80s car that had no provision for a "single sweep" wiper, a tendancy to run hot (bane of boosted engines) and unless you started with a '91, the TEVES ABS.<P>What you propose is something a father-son or family might do because they had one or two Reattas. As for profit, you would be better off converting Fieros (Archie has a profitable business swapping in SBCs already).

Ignoring the profit motive and CRT changes, is performance upgrade a possibility by installing a supercharged engine/matching transmission out of an Ultra or Riv?

If you do a search, you will find the following engine swaps....<BR>* 3800 supercharged engine<BR>* Cadillac aluminum V8 (4100-4900)<BR>* Northstar<P>You could also go the the 3100 engine if you think it already has too much power.

there's plenty of yards with SC 3800 motors.. that is by far your easiest swap option and has MORE than enough power to push your reatta. I owned a big fat 95 bonneville SLE with this motor and it would tear up any stock 5.0 mustang. even gave a few camaros a run for their money, but got beat by them every time. the 3800 is a supremeo engine as far as reliability and parts are soo plentiful, I'm suprised they aren't up near the counter at most 7-11 stores.. Wiring.. ha.. the engine uses near exactly the same wiring harness. and the computer pin-outs are all the same.. at least for the 95 year 3800's.

That was my thinking for suggesting the SC 3800. I don't know how to make it work with the original CRT. I am sure it is technologically possible--just very expensive.

See other thread - think Stan had the best idea - two ECMs in parallel - one for the S/C engine to run it and one from the original engine to feed the BCM. Sensors will mainly be the same though some PROM parameters will need to be twiddled.<P>Since the stock Reatta ECM is well mapped now, that is relatively simple.<P>Still doesn't help me with changing the information displayed on the IPC but there you are.