1920 Premier

• 4 months later...

We took a big trip across the country for another Premier. My father, daughter and I drove 6,300 miles in 8 days. Took a trip across the water on a ferry ! Saw a lot of corn and beans, and the beautiful country we have. We stopped at the Harold Warp Pioneer Village in Nebraska, what an awesome museum. The ACD museum in Auburn, Indiana was especially nice because we go to see another Premier. The Pioneer Auto Show Museum in Murdo SD is also nice, along with the Badlands and Mt Rushmore !

post-54566-143142798878_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143142798885_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143142798888_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143142798894_thumb.jpg

post-54566-1431427989_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would share what I am doing with the radiator. I have set up a circulation system using a propane burner, a steel bucket (hard to find these days, they are all plastic now) and a sump pump. After a lot of cleaning I am circulating with hot water and using a ceramic seal to help preserve this original radiator. So far no leaks, amazing for 94 years old. Hope this all works, or plan B.

post-54566-143142833087_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Found lots of items I needed in the last month on eBay !

A pair of aluminum diamond windows with one glass, some 1-3/4" belting that will be perfect for my Gabriel snubbers, a door handle, and a Snubber Adjuster.

Things that I have been searching for a long time.

I am also looking to buy a hub wrench for this car ! Have a picture of it in the Buy/Sell section.

post-54566-143142887091_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143142887103_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143142887114_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143142887129_thumb.jpg

Edited by 20Premier (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Working on the Cutler Hammer magnetic shifter. Of the three units that I have I am hoping to get 4 good coils, water is not so good for them. The gear pattern is stamped in the housing showing which coil operates to change the gear, along with the serial number. Everything works on this one mechanically, not sure yet about the coils. Will try to energize them Monday morning then order new braided wire. This magnetic shifter takes a lot of heavy wire, 25 feet of #4 from the bottom of the steering column and another 5 feet of #6 on the shifter. It's going to be really fun to see this work again and be able to shift from the steering sector ! The mag shifter connects to the transmission shifting fork shafts and when the coils are energized either pushes or pulls the shaft to change gears.

post-54566-1431429201_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143142920111_thumb.jpg

Edited by 20Premier (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Looking for parts for Delco #118 generator/distributor combo unit

Brush holder parts including springs

I am thinking about making the spring I need, but not sure about getting the torque correct.  Concerned about causing damage if I do not get it right !

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

HI , Spinney ! Perhaps over time and further applications of 'foot , your backside might have left its own mark and got revenge. That archaic product is great for baseball gloves. Helps beat a pocket into them by fascilitating stretching. Although 'foot being better than nothing at all , modern chemistry has made neatsfoot oil obsolete for reconditioning leather upholstry. Highly regarded Lexol conditioner has been engineered for this purpose , proper Ph , etc. There may be others , but I have not used them. I figure the main expenditure in leather conditioning is labor , so why not use the best , highest technology product ? After using Lexol cleaner , feed that desiccated old leather generously with Lexol conditioner. Forming a pocket in upholstry does not seem to be a desired end as a result of the considerable time invested. Perhaps , though , a form fitted bicycle seat might not be all bad ! Happy , safe touring , all , regardless of the wheel count or means of power on your conveyance !  - Carl

It is my understanding that to "recondition" that leather seat, painting on neatsfoot oil will not do it. The leather has a fairly impervious lacquer paint or dye on it (the black colour) which will prevent ingress of much oil. As well, the oil will go on your clothes when you sit on it. Neatsfoot is for shoes and old leather footballs both round and elliptical.

Ask the www about how to recondition leather. It involves solvents to remove the lacquer, cleaning (which removes the natural oils in the leather), re-moisturising and adding back the oil and finally re-applying the lacquer colour. We had a man come to our car club in Wellington 20 years ago and tell us about it so I have no doubt missed out several stages in the process.

• 1 year later...

Carburetor options

My Premier originally came with a Johnson carburetor, no parts available and I have heard not a good choice for safety reasons.

I have tried the Carter BB1 with some success, but seems to run rich no matter what I do with main jet adjustment.

What are your thoughts on the new Zenith 267 carburetors ?

• 3 weeks later...

I understand most Cadillacs through to possibly the updraft carb V16s had Johnson carburettor.    These were 2 inch throat size.  I have several pages from a contemporary Radco manual scanned into my hard drive so I can readily email them to anyone who needs this.   My first car in the early 1960s was a 1927 Cadillac,  and I never had problem with running or tuning.  The old Cadillac agent here in the 1920s told me that one man bought a new sedan and kept records of fuel used.  It consistently averaged 16 miles per gallon over 66,000 miles.   You may need to make a new cork float; but there are better coatings that you can use now than shellac.   There are essentially only two types of trouble with them:   Dirt trouble, and Spanner trouble.  Once you set the correct fuel level with respect to the tip of the single jet, it should perform well if everything else is correct.   A lot of the control is automatic by bi-metallic strips.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:08 PM, 20Premier said:

Carburetor options

My Premier originally came with a Johnson carburetor, no parts available and I have heard not a good choice for safety reasons.

I have tried the Carter BB1 with some success, but seems to run rich no matter what I do with main jet adjustment.

What are your thoughts on the new Zenith 267 carburetors ?

The new Zenith is too small, which is probably the issue with the Carter BB-1. A carburetor which is too small will run rich up to a point, where the engine simply will not run faster.

The later Premiers, with the same engine, used the Stromberg O-3 carb (a different O-3 was used on contemporary Lincolns). Why not try to find an O-3, and calibrate it for the Premier engine?

Jon.

• 3 years later...
On 1/5/2015 at 8:37 PM, 20Premier said:

I thought I should show the setup for the magnetic shifter on the car. Notice that the gearshift lever is not there, it is designed to be removed when using the mag shifter. Stored away unless needed.

post-54566-143142921874_thumb.jpg

I have always been intrigued with that transmission pre-selector as used in the Premier.

Some history on it.

CC-74-10-PG48.jpg

CC-74-10-PG49.jpg

• 2 months later...

BB-1s come in many different configurations. Carbking can advise you which variation will work with your car and can set your BB-1 up for you. Zenith also has an 800 number you can call and talk to one of their engineers, who will size a carburetor for your car.

• 9 months later...