64 coil spring removal

Guest lvrpool32

Guest lvrpool32

OK, my project for the long thanksagiving weekend is goign to be the removal of the coil springs on my 64 so I can lower it.

Now all my work in the past has been on old vettes and removing front springs was as simple as jacking the front up, putting the frame on a jacks stand, jacking up the lower a arm and then breaking the nut at the top of the spindle and letting the jack (and the spring) down.

Anyone have tips on doing this on my rivi? especially the rear.

cheers,

Nick

Good directions are in the shop manual. Front springs sound similar to what you did to your Vettes. Rear springs are easier. Remove the rear shocks and lower axle while you hold car up on frame. Watch brake hose! Either disconnect or remove locking clip and let hose come loose from frame. Read the shop manual.

There's still kinetic energy built up in the coil springs and they can shoot across the room very quickly with a lot of force. Do as you described, but first go to one of the local parts stores that has a free tool loaner program and get a set of coil spring compressers (sp? looks weird) and attach them to the coils before you remove anything or attempt to take them out. Safety first. :-)

I found the best thing is to chain the spring to something (cross member or such) so that it can only come out so far, until all the tension is remove, and the spring is loose from its mounts, then remove the chain..and the spring..

Guest NordeastKen

Disconnecting the brake reaction rod from the front lower control arm will allow the control arm to drop down lower and make removal easier. Even then you will probably still need to pry the spring off the lower control arm. I did mine this last summer and found that there wasn't a lot of room for a spring compressor.