Need help/tips with windshield washer pump removal.

jimtash

I know that the hood hinge is taken off but my main concern is not damaging the car in the process or the other hinge. What would be the best way of going about securing the hood?

Also the replacement pump came with two plastic pieces in a bag, one that looks like a gear and the other is a sleeve. Where do these go?

Guest oakland

To repair my windshield washer pump, I removed the hood also. I made a brace out of wood to prop open the front of the hood. I then placed a blanket over the area between the hood and the windshield with the blanket extending under the edge of the hood to prevent the hood from possibly sliding back and damaging the paint once it was unbolted from the hinge assembly. This is the area where the air vents are located. I then used blocking under the back of the hood on both sides to keep it fron sliding back when the hood was unbolted from the hinge assemblies. I matched marked the hinge assemblies to the hood and also the drivers side hinge assembly to the finder. Since these are adjustible, I wanted to insure the hinge assemblies and the hood were installed back in the same locations. After the hood was removed (which required two people), I removed the drivers side hinge assembly. You can unbolt the pump assembly from the drive unit and remove it to either replace it or repair it. It is a tight fit for one's hand, but it can be done. I then reinstalled the hinge assembly and the hood. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I had to go through the same ordeal several years ago. I actually suspended the hood from the rafters of my garage. using heavy black rubber "bungee" cords, (and a lot of them) I was actually able to remove the hinge and the hood just hung there. But, before I removed the hinge, I outlined the hinge location with masking tape both on the firewall and hood.

I also suspended my hood from the garage rafters. I used a rope threaded through the catch hole for the latch. I positioned the rope on the rafter just slightly ahead of the hood so the hood would not slide back on the hinges when I unbolted it. It is critical that you mark the location of the hood hinges before removal. It takes two people to remove the hood safely.