64 - How to remove the antenna

Guest lvrpool32

Guest lvrpool32

I need to remove the antenna on my 64. I have removed the inspection cover and disconected the wires. What else do I need to do?

Nick

It's been a while, but I think that once the inspection cover is off and the wires are unhooked, all you need to do is slide it out of the fender grommet and through the inspection cover hole. You should lower the antenna to its lowest position to make removal easier. I'll look tomorrow and see if there are any other brackets that need to be removed.

Ed

Guest lvrpool32

OK, a little ignorant here. Theres the rectangular chrome piece that sits on the fender (the outside of the fender) I am guessing this has to come off as there's no way it will fit through the hole. How does that come off, it looks like its part of the antenna body . Dont want to start yanking and pulling on something and break it.

Nick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lvrpool32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, a little ignorant here. Theres the rectangular chrome piece that sits on the fender (the outside of the fender) I am guessing this has to come off as there's no way it will fit through the hole. How does that come off, it looks like its part of the antenna body . Dont want to start yanking and pulling on something and break it.

Nick </div></div>

No it doesn't need to come off. Push down on the base of the antenna mast and it should pop right out. Do not attempt to take off the chrome piece on the fender.

The chrome bezel you're refering to comes off very easily. If you reach up inside the inspection hole, you can feel a spring clip on the base of the bezel. Slide it up parallel with the fender (it make take some force because the spring is tight) and the bezel will lift out from the top. The spring clip has a U-shaped opening in it that goes around the bezel. If you can look at it and shine a flashlight up there, it will all be self explanitory. If you can't figure it out, get back to me and I'll take a picture of a bezel and the clip that are already off the car.

Ed

Guest musclecarfan65

@lvrpool32: method described by rivnut is also in the chassis (or was it service?) manual. spring was also on my 65 rivi veeeerrrry tight when i disassembled all trim, chrome and other parts for painting.