WTB Radiator for 1940 Buick Roadmaster

michel88

I am looking for a radiator that fits 1940 Buick model 60 or 70. This radiator has a 3" thick core and is used with big 320 cu. in. motor. I will recore it but upper and lower tanks need to be good. I just had the engine rebuilt in my 1940 Roadmaster and it runs excellent now but gets hot running over 60 mph. I had the radiator in the car cleaned and it is in good shape but it is the incorrect radiator for the car (2" thick core). I need to get the correct radiator so I can drive on the interstates. I am located in Owings Mills, Maryland.

I would be willing to offer my 1940 Buick radiator for Special and Supers that has been serviced and has good flow plus cash. Also have a good '54 Buick Special radiator as well as 1940 320 cu. in. engine parts that I will trade for the radiator. See my post 1940 320 engine parts.

The '48 Roadmaster radiator won't work because my radiator filler (cap) is located to the left of center and matches up with a cutout in the sheetmetal over the top of the radiator. I have been told even the '41 won't work because the filler is in the center. I guess I have to find a '40 Roadmaster or Century radiator. Thanks for letting me know about your radiator.

If there is still one left in your area, a good radiator shop can switch the top tank.

Radiator shops are a vanishing breed. My local one is good, but hanging on by his finger tips.

Not such good news. I was by my local radiator shop today, to have some heater cores "boiled". He thought it might be difficult if your top tank was exclusively for a 2" core. "Difficult" does not mean impossible and he is not old enough to remember '40 Buicks. His father, who wasn't around might.

It does occur to me that assuming the top tank is brass, cutting the fill and soldering it in a different position is hardly difficult work. Seems to me that you mentioned that everything is out of sight when assembeled.