Interchangability of Mazda Sunroofs?

I called the local Mazda dealer to check on ordering Mazda RX7 Sunroof parts and was told that I needed to know the specific year since Mazda has made RX7s since the late 1970s to current. I had no idea. Does anyone know the specific years of Mazda RX7s that the sunroof parts interchange with the Reatta? Also, is there a recommended list of service parts that should be replaced when rebuilding a sunroof? Thanks in advance for your input! cool.gif" border="0

the RX-7 went to an electric outward sliding sunroof beginning in 1986,and until the model was discontinued in 1993. the riviera sunroof was the conventional slide-into-the roof type and was not the same as the reatta. the RX7s should be rather plentiful in u-pull-it wrecking yards.

I just had a '90 RX-7 roof panel installed in my 1990 Reatta. The old panel was shot; nothing but rust and a broken seal which allowed water to get into the roof of the car, causing significant rust there as well. After a fruitless 2 year search, I found a body shop confident enough and willing to do all the needed work. The Mazda roof is a perfect fit with one small exception: there is a slight, detectable arc from driver's side to passenger side when installed on the Reatta, due to the contour of the original Mazda's roofline. This is not at all distracting and probably noticeable only to Reatta drivers.<P>I bought the new roof panel for about $400. New metal on the Reattta roof to repair rust damage set me back another $700, but it looks like new, and I figure I'm good for another 125,000 miles.

Guest EDBS0

If you are handy you can fix the sunroof rust yourself. <B>note!!! I have Mazda friends with the same rust problems!!</B> frown.gif" border="0 <P>The rust comes from the underside where the spot welding and condensation cause rust.<BR>The liner simply pops off and there are 4 nuts to take off and you have the panel off.<BR>With it off it is easy to fix, paint and then reinstalled on car. <P>I neutralized the rust by dissolving it with Bill Hirsch Miracle Rust Remover and Metal Prep. A quote from their brochure "WHAT DOES MIRACLE RUST REMOVER AND METAL PREP DO?<BR>1. REMOVES RUST BY DISSOLVING IT AND LEAVING TREATED METAL CLEAN AND READY TO PAINT.<P>2. ETCHES METAL PROVIDING A BETTER WORKABLE SURFACE FOR PAINTING.<P>3. INHIBITS FURTHER RUSTING AND GIVES BETTER PAINT ADHESION BY LEAVING A ZINC PHOSPHATE COATING ON TREATED METAL.<P>4. IMPROVES WELDING CONDUCTIVITY.<P>5. REMOVES RUST STAINS FROM NON METALLIC SURFACES SUCH AS FIBERGLASS, CERAMIC, PORCELAIN." <A HREF="http://www.hirschauto.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=27&Product_ID=16&CATID=2" TARGET=_blank>http://www.hirschauto.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=27&Product_ID=16&CATID=2</A> This is a true proven automotive restoration product. Check out the rest of Bill Hirsch's products. <BR>I used about 3 quarts on mine 2 years ago and no additional problems. It worked for me as advertised. I turned the panel over and poured in an inch and a half. This product works best at warmer temperatures. I used a 500watt halogen lamp on for 6 or 7 hours. Monitor the temperature closely add more as it evaporates.<P>When all the rust was dissolved I coated the rusting area with polyester rosin and took the panel to the paint shop.<P>Aside from there being all together too much dust in the paint due to an incompetent paint shop there are no signs of any rust returning. I am happy with the result.<P>The panel was also available new 2 years ago, you will die when you hear the price.<P>Good luck, all in all a relatively easy project. You might even be able to custom match the paint yourself, Robert