Is it the BCM?

scott209

I bought a 1990 about three months ago and have been sorting out various issues, the lastest of which is the cruise control. I don't get any codes related to the issues I am having.

The follwoing things don't work: cruise control, engine compartment light, ashtray light, courtesy lights on the lower door panels, seat belt warning chime, AC(code says low fluid level-I'll deal with this later). I did several of the BCM tests for courtesy light relays and cruise control relays and such. Those tests indicate the relays are functional. It seems the BCM is the common link.

How do I know for sure that the BCM is or is not the problem? If it is, what do I do about it?

Your inputs are always appreciated.

Scott

Check all vacume line for the cruise. Including the one's under the dash at the switch. If it still dosen't work your cruise module may be bad. Attach a vacume lins to the nodule and suck through the line to see if it will hold the vacume. I had one that failed and bought a new one, only to take aoart the old one and "carefully" clean it after which it worked. I kapt the old one as a spare.

Cruise module is located under the hood on the drivers side, next to the air box and below it.

Since I sell Reatta parts I don't like to speculate what could be causing a particular problem unless I am certain the problem can be resolved with a particular part. An example is if a persons blower is running all the time even with the key shut off it is the blower control module on the engine side of the firewall.

If you do determine you need a BCM I have some good ones and can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

A minor point, but at least on the 89, the underhood light does not come on unless the parking lights or headlamps are on. Check to see if it works buy turning on the lights. Also, I know the odds are against this, but have you checked the bulbs on the lights that are not working? My ashtray lamp did not work when I got my car. Replaced the bulb, and has worked ever since.

Thanks Howard.

The engine compartment light works when the parking lights are turned on. One down, many to go.

I performed the cruise control input tests outlined in the service manual and everything passed. The last option was to replace the BCM(body control module).

Further guidance appreciated.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

Well I'm 2 for 4.

After spending several weeks plowing through the factory manual and performing all the tests I bought a chime module, headlight switch and BCM.

The new chime module fixed that problem. What a lovely sound it is but it hasn't hastened the healing process of my knuckles after replacing it. Where is Elastigirl when you need her?

The courtesy lights on the doorsills and footwells still do not work. Any help there would be apprepricated?

The cruise control still does not work. One thing different though is when I first tried to engage it the green resume light came on the IPC but after several more attempts to engage the cruise control, the resume light does not go on. Does this tell me something?

Lastly, my air conditioning now works which is a project I'd delayed for next spring.

Scott

Now 3 for 4,

I finally realized I was getting E031 and B660 codes. These mean that the park\neutral switch on the transaxle isn't working and telling the ECM and cruise module that the car is in drive. Cruise won't engage unless the trans is in Drive. The manual said either a grounded wire or bad ECM. I replaced it with a factory rebuilt ECM which didn't fix the problem. Turns out it was a bad wire from the P/N switch and now it works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Howard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also, I know the odds are against this, but have you checked the bulbs on the lights that are not working? My ashtray lamp did not work when I got my car. Replaced the bulb, and has worked ever since. </div></div>

....Theres a ashtry light.... gonna go check it out, had no idea, musta been burned out too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scott209</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turns out it was a bad wire from the P/N switch and now it works.

</div></div>

Got a picture or some details on that switch? I would like to explore that item as my cruise does not work and I can not see any problem with the vac. lines. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Courtesy lights are finally working.

After going through all the relays and switches, the service manual said there had to be an open or a ground. The thought of tracing all the wires was frightening.

Instead I studied the wiring diagram to see where all the wires met on that circuit. It said under the passanger seat. I'm thinking how could any wires be damaged in such a safe place? None the less I took out the seat, pried up the carpet and opened the plactic channel box that contained a bunch of wires. My car is a convertable and either water or possibly coffee got in the box and all of the splices looked sad. I tugged on the appropriate slice and it fell apart.

What a gratifying feeling to resplice the connections and see all the lights come on. For some reason though my wife was not nearly as impressed.

Scott with lots of lights glowing.

Guest Orono

I have a 90 convert with the courtesy lights in-op too.

I thought I would check the easy things first (yea right).

My manual shows the micro relay center on the RH sheerwall below the tonneau cover, which I found. The book shows 6 relays: Trunk release, courtesy lamps, RH turn, LH turn, Defogger & Bow Power Relay (what is this?). My center has room for 6 relays but only 5 are wired.

Attempting to determine which relay was which I started pulling relays. I now have all the relays out and everything but the courtesy lamps (& bow power relay??) are still working. Obviously I have the wrong relay center. Any suggestions?

Dave,

That is the correct relay center you are playing with and yes only five of the six sockets are used.(I haven't figured out what a bow power relay is either) I checked to see if my courtesy light relay was working by swopping it with another relay, ie the truck release, that I knew worked. Alas it was not the relay.

In my situation, the door lights and the footwell lights did not work under any circumstances. The dark blue/white wires from each light meet under the seat. That's the one I fixed.

The factory service manual pg 8A-114-2 has the schematic. Splice 305.

Scott

I think you can fix your chime module.

I had one that did exactly as you discribe. At times, when it did work, it sounded like the background tone you'd hear on the deck of the Starship Enterprise. (If it would have done that all the time, I would have left it alone and not fixed it.) There is a small bridge-like support for the metal diaphram that emits the tone. The bridge is soldered to the pc board. Over time, these solder joints can crack. Just need to reheat the joints and presto! It works like new again. I'll try to get a photo attached to this post later. (tomorrow maybe) Gotta go to work now.

Guest Orono

Thanks Scott,

That was it! I found a another bad splice under the drivers seat that solved power mirrors & door lock switches not working. The interior lights are still not coming on when I open the doors but they work with the dash switch. I just recently purchased the car and still have a few things to work through. (Barney, I will be adding it to the Data base :-)

I found the reason why things were still working with the relays pulled. The previous owner had done some custom wiring to make things work.

Thanks for your help!

Next thing to check then is the door switches. For what I've learned through this forum they are have an open and a closed function. In other words when the door closes that sends a signal to the door locks and when it's opened it sends a signal to the courtesy lights. Spray them with contact cleaner as your first step.

Scott