still getting error on dash(1990 reatta)

Guest FRIDAYSCARUSOE

Guest reattajack

put in a new bcm(did not change eeprom yet)

a new cps, climate control, derm, hvac programmer and instrument panel.

all fuses are good but 00 error is on the dash and 3 dashes on eccp.

what could this be?

the car runs fine----ecu prom?----ecu?

there is varying voltage at the aldl connector on both posts

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troy,

I didn't realize this was you. From my experience when the IPC is black and reads error and 00 it is the IPC itself or a dirty connection on the rear of the IPC where it plugs into the dash.

On the 88-89 Reattas the most common part to go bad is the CRT and the IPCs are pretty good. On the '90-91s the IPC is the most common part to go bad and when they do they go black and read error and 00. I think you mentioned you replaced the IPC but it is possible you got a bad one.

Jim

Guest reattajack

after hooking up the battery cables wrong for 1/2 a second the cps, ipc and eccp stopped working..

i went through all the troubleshooting.

i replaced the cps, ipc, eccp, derm, hvac programmer, ecm and bcm...

still 00 error on dash and 3 dashes on the eccp.

i got the bcm from ebay used and that might be the problem. so i'm getting a new one to try that next..

do you know what could be causing this?

the voltage keeps varying from 2-5 volts on all the data line tests.

i am at a loss here..if the new bcm wont make it work.

everything worked perfect before this happened. chime even worked

the parts store ads are confused about what a ecm and bcm and cps differences are.(the bcm has the red socket and the ecm has the orange socket, the cps gray socket)

I wonder if you may have burned out one of the fuseable links. They are located coming out of the red splice box and generally are behind the radiator reservoir bottle. They are crimped on the ends and pretty hard to check because with a volt or ohm meter you can get back feeds. On most of them there are two or three crimped together at the red splice box and then they go their separate ways.

The BCM is the body control module and is located behind the glove box and mounted vertically. It has a square cover on it and two black connectors and one connector is red.

The ECM is the engine control module also sometimes called the PCM or power control module and is the same size and looks almost identical but is mounted vertically below the glove box and instead of a square cover has a long narrow cover. It has two black connectors and one orange connector.

The above applies to the '88-90s.

The '91 ECM has two black connectors and one green connector.

The BCM has two tan connectors and one red connector.

The CPS is much smaller and has one grey connector on it. It also has a label on it saying central power supply.

Guest reattajack

i tried all the fusible links..i'll do it again with the battery unhooked...that should give a positive ohm reading.

thanks for the help...i'm stumped here

Guest reattajack

I guess i'll have to hire an electronics person to work on it.

very strange why the dash and ecc still dont work.

like i said..i had the batery cables in reverse for 1/2 a second and this did something to it. but the troubleshooting chart sais it should work now after replacing these data line components, ipc etc

really weird

Have you checked to verify your problem is not the ignition key/lock, causing ERROR message? If the key, or lock's leads are worn, it may not read resistance, and disable ignition, activating security system, and would display ERROR in the ODO display.

Try adding the proper value resistor, (match key's resistamce), to the column's wiring harness, effectively by-passing the resistor in the key. If you have'nt isolated the key from the diagnosis, you may be spinnin' 'yer wheels.

Guest reattajack

i cant figure out why there is varying voltage at the data link line where the ipc connector is and when a good instrument panel is put in it still reads 00 error.

i dont know if anyone can figure this out

• 1 month later...